The Broncos Ownership Situation

AnAngryAmerican

4 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

If a partnership of some sort, like an investment group bought the team, that group can vote whomever has a stake in the group to be controlling owner, it’s not relative to how much funds are put up. 

George W Bush was part of the investment group that bought the Texas Rangers in the mid-1990s. I’m not sure on the specifics but he only put up like $500k but was named president of the General Partner. 

I’m not a lawyer but I am pretty well-versed in legal matters and, by my understanding of the NFL’s new policy, the organization is required to have one sole individual who acts as owner, with his/her voice being the final say on team matters and all things related to owner votes at league meetings.

Thus, conceivably, Elway could put up a few million, band together with a few others who then vote him controlling owner;  the others would, in effect, be silent partners. Bill Bowlen was a silent partner when Pat Bowlen owned the team. 

Didn't Magic Johnson do this with the Dodgers?  

• 2 weeks later...

The league has mandated that each team have one individual serve as controlling owner, but Ellis said Tuesday the Broncos have received a waiver to the rule until May 2022 because of the civil case against Pat Bowlen’s trustees. Ellis’ contract expires two months before that. The plan is for the Broncos’ transfer of power at the organization’s highest level to be completed before kickoff of the 2022 season.

This Klis story has a lot of good stuff in it, a lot of information we did not know before. But the above is the money quote, the team won't have to pay the fine but it looks, as I've been saying all along, the new owner takes over before the start of the 2022 season. That could be Brittany Bowlen or, far more likely IMO, someone who buys the team. 

• Like 1

So it seems like the five children with Annabel are behind Brittney for owner, yes? Would it not be possible for them to find investors to buy out the other two’s share? They’d need to get about $850M to do that. 

Elway and Manning could put all their cash together and get about halfway there. 

14 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

So it seems like the five children with Annabel are behind Brittney for owner, yes? Would it not be possible for them to find investors to buy out the other two’s share? They’d need to get about $850M to do that. 

Elway and Manning could put all their cash together and get about halfway there. 

I believe this is technically allowed as long as they name one singular voice as "owner." However, I'm not sure we've seen or heard anything to think this would happen. The kids haven't gotten along all this time and at this point, it seems extremely personal with the court case. I doubt any child will be bought out if it means their sibling will be the owner

5 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I think it’s a lot more complicated than that, legally.

From what I understand the Bowlen estate has all 7 children as equal heirs, as regards the Broncos, all 7 have to sign off on one as to serve controlling owner. All 7 kids are equal owners of the team but 6 of them are to be “silent partners,” - all get an equal cut of the profits and can leverage their share of the franchise as an asset but only 1 makes decisions.

I’m not a lawyer but this is how I understand it. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

48 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I think it’s a lot more complicated than that, legally.

From what I understand the Bowlen estate has all 7 children as equal heirs, as regards the Broncos, all 7 have to sign off on one as to serve controlling owner. All 7 kids are equal owners of the team but 6 of them are to be “silent partners,” - all get an equal cut of the profits and can leverage their share of the franchise as an asset but only 1 makes decisions.

I’m not a lawyer but this is how I understand it. 

Nothing you just said answered any part of my query. We know all 7 are equal beneficiaries right now, and they’ve gotta figure it out. Brittney is clearly the closest to building a consensus as controlling owner, so is it not possible for the dissenters (Beth and Amie) to allow the other five to find investors to cover the 2/7th’s of their ownership shares, so they can take their payouts and ride off into the sunset? If you’re Beth and Amie, you’re getting the money anyways, right? No way you’re getting controlling interest, selling to Brittney and co. might be the simplest solution.

Also, I’ve read that the lawsuit suggests Pat’s latest will should be void. Anyone know what the previous version says in regards to ownership succession?

5 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Nothing you just said answered any part of my query. We know all 7 are equal beneficiaries right now, and they’ve gotta figure it out. Brittney is clearly the closest to building a consensus as controlling owner, so is it not possible for the dissenters (Beth and Amie) to allow the other five to find investors to cover the 2/7th’s of their ownership shares, so they can take their payouts and ride off into the sunset? If you’re Beth and Amie, you’re getting the money anyways, right? No way you’re getting controlling interest, selling to Brittney and co. might be the simplest solution.

Also, I’ve read that the lawsuit suggests Pat’s latest will should be void. Anyone know what the previous version says in regards to ownership succession?

I think the problem is that they likely don't WANT to sell. Being an owner of an NFL franchise is literally one of the safest investments in the world. That isn't hyperbole; it is a fact. Whatever money you realistically can get for the sale, in 5 years your (previous) stake will be worth much more. The Panthers, for example, were bought in May 2018 for $2.3 billion. In September 2020, Forbes valued them at $2.6 billion. That is a 13% increase in your investment over a 30 month period ....

Now obviously there is the caveat of the money you receive is enough for generational wealth. But these people already have enough money for that in all likelihood. Having a large stake in an NFL team is the definition of long term security, so any financial advisor will be telling all of the Bowlen's to fight for their stake. 

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I think the problem is that they likely don't WANT to sell. Being an owner of an NFL franchise is literally one of the safest investments in the world. That isn't hyperbole; it is a fact. Whatever money you realistically can get for the sale, in 5 years your (previous) stake will be worth much more. The Panthers, for example, were bought in May 2018 for $2.3 billion. In September 2020, Forbes valued them at $2.6 billion. That is a 13% increase in your investment over a 30 month period ....

Now obviously there is the caveat of the money you receive is enough for generational wealth. But these people already have enough money for that in all likelihood. Having a large stake in an NFL team is the definition of long term security, so any financial advisor will be telling all of the Bowlen's to fight for their stake. 

I love hyper bowls. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

So then this goes back to the second part of my question: anyone know what the previous structure of the succession plan was? Is there *any* sort of chance that Beth and Amie could retain their shares?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Britney doing her part to to pull ahead. https://twitter.com/BKDenverSports/status/1382711693109645317?s=20

What's funny is she was able to do this but the team had repeated COVID problems during the season. Ellis puts her in charge of the team's COVID stuff and after 13 months of screwing up she makes everyone in the organization get a vaccine and they tout it as a major accomplishment? "You have to get the vaccine or you're fired" isn't exactly inspired leadership.