The Broncos Ownership Situation

AnAngryAmerican

On 7/19/2021 at 10:14 PM, AnAngryAmerican said:

Klis said on The Fan this morning that May is the drop dead timeline before the NFL seeks payment. 

This will be resolved by then, likely much sooner, the question that remains is, is it Brittany Bowlen or a sale? Did the other 6 capitulate and give Brittany the whole hog or did they agree to take their $500,000,000 each and shut up? We know what Ellis/the Trust prefers, so I’m hoping it’s the latter. 

I’m not too familiar with the process but am I right in saying that each of the Bowlen children owns an equal 1/7 share of the team but they need to declare one of them as the controlling owner? Even still, they’d be entitled to their share of the profits, just wouldn’t have a say in the day-to-day running of the team.

I think a sale is pretty likely because it seemed as though Bowlen’s children from his second marriage were pretty against giving Brittany the control. 

15 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

So word on the street Jeff Bezos is interested in buying the team. Im wondering how everyone feels about that. I really dont want to lose the high standard that Bowlen created and that Elway/Ellis tried to keep going. My belief is that if somebody buys a team, I want them to actually be fully invested in the team to that same standard---I not sure Bezos is that guy. 

Jay-Z also has put his name in the ring, so financially two guys who could bring stability to this team. Bezos looks like a meddler/control-type guy, Jay-Z I'm not sure about in that aspect.

On 9/15/2021 at 2:18 AM, paul-mac said:

I’m not too familiar with the process but am I right in saying that each of the Bowlen children owns an equal 1/7 share of the team but they need to declare one of them as the controlling owner? Even still, they’d be entitled to their share of the profits, just wouldn’t have a say in the day-to-day running of the team.. 

Well, if the team is sold each child takes a 1/7 cut (from what I understand, unless Mr B divided %s in his will different for each). And once the team is sold and they cash their checks, they have no sat whatsoever as they’ve relinquished ownership rights. 

On 9/15/2021 at 9:10 AM, Cutler06 said:

Jay-Z also has put his name in the ring, so financially two guys who could bring stability to this team. Bezos looks like a meddler/control-type guy, Jay-Z I'm not sure about in that aspect.

I wouldn’t be thrilled with either. And some aspects of Jay-Zs past might not sit well with some from a PR perspective; NFL owners and the NFL fanbase are both a lot different than their counterparts in the NBA. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I wouldn’t be thrilled with either. And some aspects of Jay-Zs past might not sit well with some from a PR perspective; NFL owners and the NFL fanbase are both a lot different than their counterparts in the NBA. 

But by jaysus - Bezos would be an interfering gobsh*te

Whatever happened to the chatter about Robert Smith becoming owner?

I hate all billionaires - but unfortunately the owner is probably inevitably going to be one (and a Manning led consortium is still my preferred option).

35 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

But by jaysus - Bezos would be an interfering gobsh*te

Whatever happened to the chatter about Robert Smith becoming owner?

I hate all billionaires - but unfortunately the owner is probably inevitably going to be one (and a Manning led consortium is still my preferred option).

I still think Robert Smith is an option and I think if Peyton can assemble an investment group he would good too.

My guess is it would be the Manning family + investors. I read a family can buy a team. What I understand is the principle owner must put up at minimum 10% stake of the purchase price and the consortium of investors has to be 24 or fewer. 10% would be about $400m, Peyton’s estimated net worth is only $250m but if the family pooled their resources (remember Cooper is loaded too, he’s an executive an AJ Capital Partners, a real estate investment firm) they probably get to $400m. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Well, if the team is sold each child takes a 1/7 cut (from what I understand, unless Mr B divided %s in his will different for each). And once the team is sold and they cash their checks, they have no sat whatsoever as they’ve relinquished ownership rights. 

My point is around what happens if the team is NOT sold though. Whilst they could appoint Brittany (or any of the other 6) as the controlling owner, I think the others would still own 1/7 share of the team profits. 

22 hours ago, paul-mac said:

My point is around what happens if the team is NOT sold though. Whilst they could appoint Brittany (or any of the other 6) as the controlling owner, I think the others would still own 1/7 share of the team profits. 

Yes, that is correct. But all 7 have to agree on the controlling owner. Ellis/the trust want Brittany but it’s unlikely that the two oldest children, Amy and Beth, would agree to Brittany. That’s why the team is, I think 99% certain to be sold. Even Ellis has said as much. 

On 9/17/2021 at 1:35 PM, bMiller031 said:

No thanks. The lower the profile the better

Yeah I don't see these guys loving and spending the money needed for the Broncos to be one of the best organizations that Pat Bowlen did.  I heard Warren Buffet's son is interested and is a huge football fan.  I can see someone like that creating a better legacy with the Broncos.  

• Like 2