How hot is Jack's seat going forward?

RaidersAreOne

16 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

KNJ's contract expires after this season correct? Could be a Musgrave situation and Pagano steps in. 

That is an interesting question...

Musgrave was on a 2 year deal.

I looked last year and today and haven't found anywhere that states his contract length.

If he's got another year, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see KNJ on the sidelines again next year. Not saying I want this, but I just can't see us firing him unless we start getting 40 dropped on us every week.

If his contract IS up, it would be incredibly foolish to offer any kind of extension.

10 hours ago, raidersedge said:

For fans yeah he's seat is heating up but Mark Davis loves Del Rio, he hired him and then just gave him a new contract. Del Rio isn't going anywhere. The only coach Mark loves more is Jon Gruden, there is always rumor he will coach again and if he does it would probably only be for the Raiders but until that day. Del Rio is still the Captain.

Jon-Gruden-390x220.jpg

9 hours ago, big_palooka said:

KNJ's contract expires after this season correct? Could be a Musgrave situation and Pagano steps in. 

I'm pretty sure you are right!

KNJ got a 3 year deal if I remember correctly and this is his 3rd year. JDR got an extension, but Norton obviously not.

I really think Norton will leave after this year, unless this D really turns it up the rest of the way.

Pagano is the logical choice. Already in place, know the guys, already installed some elements of his D...

He's just a very uninspiring average coach, and has been his entire career. Seriously, what has he done in his career as a HC? I think in Jacksonville they made the playoffs once during his tenure. And then last year he rode Derek Carr's late game wizardry coattails to another playoff birth in spite of his defense sucking. We are 3 years in and this defense, which is supposedly his forte, hasn't gotten better in the slightest. I think you can argue its actually gotten worse, as we just got ran through by the worst offensive team in the league. 

What are JDRs strengths as a coach? He's obviously not a great Xs and Os guy, as we are regularly out coached and out schemed on a pretty common basis. We see shockingly bad breakdowns on defense on a weekly basis that you don't see other teams have. He isn't a coach that can put together a great staff around him. I partly blame Mark Davis for this because we don't pay coaches, and there was a black cloud floating around Oakland for a decade plus. But he chose Ken Norton and has stuck with him, when everybody and their mama can tell you the guy is in over his head. What players has JDR helped developed? Mack was obviously always going to be great. What  players can you say JDR has boosted? I cant think of any. He is a "motivator" type players coach. And if hes not motivating our players, what else to JDR is there? 

Regardless or not if this team turns it around and sneaks into the playoffs (looking very doubtful), I hope this is JDRs last year. He isn't the guy to take this team to that next level. He was the guy to bring respectability and get us out the cellar. He is John Fox 2.0. JDR wont make it to Vegas. 

JDR is a .500 coach. Which feels about right. He's strong at motivating players. But he's not going to be a strong x/o's guy. He had Mike Smith as his DC coming out of the Ravens coaching tree. And Musgrave/Dirk Koeter as OC. He need to have strong coordinators around him who can scheme and coach up those sides of the ball to be successful.

On 10/10/2017 at 9:10 AM, big_palooka said:

JDR is a .500 coach. Which feels about right. He's strong at motivating players. But he's not going to be a strong x/o's guy. He had Mike Smith as his DC coming out of the Ravens coaching tree. And Musgrave/Dirk Koeter as OC. He need to have strong coordinators around him who can scheme and coach up those sides of the ball to be successful.

this is so true...so it should not be a surprise to see the struggles with two weak Coordinators around him

47 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I said that JDR wasn't a great coach last year and got flak, but that's who he is. I'd love a guy like Harbaugh who could take us to the next level IMO like Andy Reid does for his teams.

Well, Harbough hasn't been so great since he lost that perennial defense that the front office built with Lewis, Reed, Ngata, Suggs and others. It a mixture of timing, coaching, front office, players and luck(injuries, weather, etc) that breeds success. Putting it on the coaching is the usual scapegoating the NFL, and team sports in general, is known for. 

4 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Well, Harbough hasn't been so great since he lost that perennial defense that the front office built with Lewis, Reed, Ngata, Suggs and others. It a mixture of timing, coaching, front office, players and luck(injuries, weather, etc) that breeds success. Putting it on the coaching is the usual scapegoating the NFL, and team sports in general, is known for. 

JIM harbaugh. Not john harbaugh. Should have clarified.

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

JIM harbaugh. Not john harbaugh. Should have clarified.

No chance at getting him. He was offered his dream job at Michigan the year before for way more money than we could or should pay. They even doubled down last year and paid like 5mil for an insurance policy scheme/deal to increase his wages.

4 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

No chance at getting him. He was offered his dream job at Michigan the year before for way more money than we could or should pay. They even doubled down last year and paid like 5mil for an insurance policy scheme/deal to increase his wages.

Yeah I agree. Still, one can hope.

Archived