Week 13 GDT: Raiders (6-5) @ Jets (0-11)

Jerry

4 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Fully support sitting Jacobs this week. Give him a week off allow him to get some rest and get that ankle right for the Colts game. 

good point.  I thought it was more serious than this for him to miss the game but this is a good move by the HC.  Unless the jets decide to play flack and try to win.... well that's the reason they have Darnold and then will get Lawrence in the spring if that makes sense. NFL should have a lottery for the top 3 picks so tanking isn't a regular occurrence. 

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

If we can't win this game without Jacobs and Abram, we don't deserve to even talk about the playoffs.

how would you lose though? What other players would have to be out and how can the jets actually beat you with Darnold at QB?

49 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

good point.  I thought it was more serious than this for him to miss the game but this is a good move by the HC.  Unless the jets decide to play flack and try to win.... well that's the reason they have Darnold and then will get Lawrence in the spring if that makes sense. NFL should have a lottery for the top 3 picks so tanking isn't a regular occurrence. 

how would you lose though? What other players would have to be out and how can the jets actually beat you with Darnold at QB?

If we play sloppy, they come out fast, and they play inspired.

That being said, we should be able to shred them in the pass game if gruden nuts up and forces their corners/safeties to cover and allows us to use the short passing game like we did so well last year.

3 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

If we play sloppy, they come out fast, and they play inspired.

That being said, we should be able to shred them in the pass game if gruden nuts up and forces their corners/safeties to cover and allows us to use the short passing game like we did so well last year.

We’ve been playing inspired football all year. We just suck at football. The players have been playing hard though. Don’t expect players just going through the motions.

Not having Jacobs could be a benefit for the Raiders. Teams really should just pass against us. The Chargers tried a balanced attack and it nearly cost them the game. The Jets can stop the run. Our pass defense is awful though. Just have Carr drop back 50 times and it’s game over. Although I suppose you lose the receiving threat out of the backfield. But still...just have Carr throwing bombs like Herbert did. We cannot stop that.

Edited by SDotNova
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I'll wait on more info before criticising those guys specifically but IF that is true (and there's usually no smoke without fire) that is a pretty bad indictment against Gruden and Mayock as Collins and Brown were their hand picked FA recruits, Trent being the big ticket guy and Collins being touted repeatedly as the key to our D and pass rush. It could be nothing but that would be very frustrating if there were any truth to that.

Yup ....crazy me I’m thinking some things were said in the locker after the game 

2 hours ago, SDotNova said:

We’ve been playing inspired football all year. We just suck at football. The players have been playing hard though. Don’t expect players just going through the motions.

Not having Jacobs could be a benefit for the Raiders. Teams really should just pass against us. The Chargers tried a balanced attack and it nearly cost them the game. The Jets can stop the run. Our pass defense is awful though. Just have Carr drop back 50 times and it’s game over. Although I suppose you lose the receiving threat out of the backfield. But still...just have Carr throwing bombs like Herbert did. We cannot stop that.

The front 7 is pretty close for the jets but I agree the back end is bad. The team should be respectable as early as next year if they can get some new weapons, free agents, and possibly lawrence.

4 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Yup ....crazy me I’m thinking some things were said in the locker after the game 

Oh, I don't doubt that some things were said if course, it's just the speculation about the individuals involved, I was thinking Littleton..........

8 hours ago, SDotNova said:

Carr has started to at least take some shots down the field this year, but that's not and will never be his game. He is nowhere near as good as Herbert at throwing the deep ball.

Raiders will try to be balanced. Especially with the weather, we aren't throwing the ball 35+ times. At our best, we are an efficient chain moving offense. We're not the type of offense that will just come out guns blazing and overwhelm you. 

I think we'll win but wouldn't surprise me at all if it's close late.

2 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Carr has started to at least take some shots down the field this year, but that's not and will never be his game. He is nowhere near as good as Herbert at throwing the deep ball.

Raiders will try to be balanced. Especially with the weather, we aren't throwing the ball 35+ times. At our best, we are an efficient chain moving offense. We're not the type of offense that will just come out guns blazing and overwhelm you. 

I think we'll win but wouldn't surprise me at all if it's close late.

I think 80% of this is because that's simply not the scheme.  It's run heavy and ball control.  High percentage short 3rd down scenarios.  Take a shot once in a while to keep them honest.  At least that's what I'm seeing.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

The front 7 is pretty close for the jets but I agree the back end is bad. The team should be respectable as early as next year if they can get some new weapons, free agents, and possibly lawrence.

I honestly think the Jets could be quite decent next year, really would like to see them be the top team in the East. If they get Lawrence and they have Becton and Mims as cornerstones for the O. They could conceivably add a guy like Trent Brown if he is let go, that's bookends fir the franchise QB. Crowder is good so they would need a couple interior OL and a RB and in the draft/FA and they'll compete hard and be a pretty good Offense I feel. They should concentrate on the O if they draft Lawrence and do D the year after IMHO. Of course, they'll need a decent HC too.

• Like 1

If we are a legit playoff team, they’ll throttle the jets tomorrow, and I think they need that momentum going into a huge game next week vs Indy. Need to win by 2+ scores for the morale boost tbh.

if I’ve learned anything, we shouldn’t be over-confident about this being a win let alone a comfortable one.