Steelers LB Bud Dupree likely tears ACL; Out for season

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

I’m gonna zag while everyone else is zig-ing. 

I think with this injury the chances of Bud returning increases. 

I agree with you. Teams are going to have to be tight with their money next year, and to give a guy a big check while he’s got an ACL is a risky thing to do. Steelers will get to see his rehab 100% of the journey and will have a better idea if he can return to what he’s been the last year and a half. Only thing is we’re going to be very very tight unless they make some big changes. If you could go back in time 2 years everyone hoping we could resign Bud would be fighting words for everyone on here. 

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

You think he is going to be willing to take a long term deal for a little less and the Steelers are willing to lock him up? No way we can afford him on a one year. 

I could see it, though it would come at the cost of who I still think is more likely to stick around -- JuJu. Depending on his cost, could come at the cost of a JuJu and Sutton/Hilton. But I can absolutely see them trying to keep this defense together as best as possible. 

1 minute ago, Dcash4 said:

You think he is going to be willing to take a long term deal for a little less and the Steelers are willing to lock him up? No way we can afford him on a one year. 

I could see it, though it would come at the cost of who I still think is more likely to stick around -- JuJu. Depending on his cost, could come at the cost of a JuJu and Sutton/Hilton. But I can absolutely see them trying to keep this defense together as best as possible. 

I could see him saying “2 year deal to stay where I know I produce, can get healthy, and hit FA again at 29/39; yea let’s do it.”

• Like 1

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

does he wait say 11 months to heal (instead of 9) , then return with Steelers for the last 6 weeks at a nice $ per game? Not worth risking rushing bak only to re-injure the ACL The after next years partial season, get a new deal and hopefully the cap goes up and he gets a good deal to stay here.  

Lets not forget, he will be a lock on comeback player of the year in the above scenario too B|

Edited by 3rivers

25 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

after an injury like this, he might also think of getting the best deal while he can, but we don't know him and then there is the cap situation .   I would keep Dupree over  Connor + JJSS and Hilton, but keep Sutton.  The cap will take many teams apart next year and possibly beyond. The only way a team could stay intact is if every player restructured for the % the cap is going down next year.  

43 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I could see him saying “2 year deal to stay where I know I produce, can get healthy, and hit FA again at 29/39; yea let’s do it.”

I can definitely see it. Would love a 2 year deal, though 3 is in our best interest for ability to hide money - just like I love a 2 year Banner deal. 

I do think the Steelers are in Bud's interest But I think he's gonna get his money based on the last couple years. Just depends how much and what he wants. He has waited 6 years now for the opportunity at the free market/big contract. Is he willing to wait 1-2 more?

Great news about it (well, glass half full great news) is we get to see Highsmith in a full time role. If he is above the line as a piece of the overall front 7 puzzle, no need to spend on Bud. 

Edited by Dcash4

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Comments already out that teams won’t sign him in the first wave of FA due to the injury so makes him more affordable. 

Not overly surprising considering free agency opens in month 4 of a 6-9 month rehab and no ones gonna touch an injured player until they can really stress test that knee. The only thing that really does, if I am remember correctly, is absolutely destroy our comp pick since he likely wont sign until after the draft. 

Pass rushers and edges really dont go out of style, though. Justin Houston didnt sign in the first wave (which is that opening 24-72 hour window), but signed about 1-2 weeks later at $12M. Ansah didnt sign until May of that year and still got $9M on a one year with his long history of injury. Clowney didnt sign until camp last year and got $12M too, with a handful of suitors. So $12M feels like a pretty comfortable floor for Bud to sign, even late off-season. I dont know that the Steelers have that cash for a one year deal like that. I don't know that 2 years would interest Bud. I dont know that 3 years is really viable for either with TJ and Minkah big (potentially market setting) money coming down the pipe and Bud being on the wrong side of 30. 

I would put Bud's chances of being back with the Steelers around 35%, chances of signing elsewhere at 55%, and chances he takes a year off and waits to be a first 24 hour guy during 2022's FA window that will have far more cap space at 10%. 

Still realistic he comes back to the black and gold - I think its his best place to shine - but feels more like all the stars aligning just right.