NFL legend Y.A. Tittle passes away at age 90.

TecmoSuperJoe

Y.A. Tittle, the Hall of Fame quarterback and celebrated former signal-caller for the Colts, 49ers and Giants, passed away Sunday night. He was 90.

The sports information department at LSU, Tittle's alma mater, confirmed his passing, noting that the NFL icon was peacefully surrounded by family and friends.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000859098/article/pro-football-hall-of-fame-qb-ya-tittle-dies-at-90

Unfortunate. HOF player and member of the 49ers legendary Million Dollar Backfield. Probably saw his greatest career accomplishment as a Giant though after he was traded later in his career. Clearly he still had a lot left in the tank. RIP mate. 

30 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Now that I think of it, it's pretty nutty than the Giants retire his jersey, but the 49ers haven't. 

Could use someone like Tittle in SF right about now. Don't ever see Hoyer throwing 7 TDs in a game sadly. 

He was among the first QBs to air it out like the modern ones do.  His NYG numbers (sans playoffs) were off the charts.

15 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I had a book when I was a kid, and it went on about YA Tittle and his exploits. Loved reading about him, sad to see him go - but it's good to see him live such a long life.

This

This is a situation where you don't mourn for someone, rather you celebrate their long life. We could all be so lucky. 

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

This

This is a situation where you don't mourn for someone, rather you celebrate their long life. We could all be so lucky. 

Agreed.  My goal is to get to 90...anything beyond that is just gravy.  

Watched Tittle QB the NYG in the 1963 title game at Wrigley Field. The Bears QB was Bill Wade. Despite a tough Bears D and a freezing cold, ice bound field, Tittle almost won the game. One of the all time greats.

His daughter Dianne Tittle De Laet, wrote a book about him, Giants and Heroes: A Daughters Memories of Y.A. Tittle.

Archived