2021 Off-season FO / Coaching / Saleh to the Jets - Page 9

N4L

Figured this deserved its own thread. He is a great coach but he may leave. I have had some issues with him in the past but he really does call a good game when he has the players to execute it. 

If we lose him, who would everyone want to hire? Ryans is a guy a lot of people want. I am going to throw out another dark horse former NFL LB that I think actually may be a better hire - Jeff Ulbrich. 

He has done wonders to turn around Falcons Defense this year and he may not stick around there depending on what they do at HC. 

What does everyone think? 

Edited by N4L

14 minutes ago, N4L said:

Figured this deserved its own thread. He is a great coach but he may leave. I have had some issues with him in the past but he really does call a good game when he has the players to execute it. 

If we lose him, who would everyone want to hire? Ryans is a guy a lot of people want. I am going to throw out another dark horse former NFL LB that I think actually may be a better hire - Jeff Ulbrich. 

He has done wonders to turn around Falcons Defense this year and he may not stick around there depending on what they do at HC. 

What does everyone think? 

It depends on Raheem Morris. I think the the job is his if he wants it, as he and Shanny are very close friends. I believe he was Shanny's first choice for DC but Morris decided to stay in ATL at the time. He's done a pretty nice job of turning that Falcons team around in a just over a month and making them competent and that may put him on Blank's radar OR another team's. He's a former HC so he has experience and he now has that 'I learned from my first stint as a HC look@me now' kind of appeal that could land him a HC job somewhere.

If its not Morris, me thinks it will be Ryans. Ulbrich would be a nice story from a Niner's perspective but I think Shanny holds DR in very high regard and would give him the opportunity over bringing someone in from the outside.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

@Shanedorf posted in the coaching hire thread in Gen that Pauline I think went on a pod and said that there was some buzz about Saleh and Peters and Detroit, which just makes a ton of sense from pretty much every perspective. 

I'd prefer Ryans to replace him. I like developing guys like that and you have to take chances at some point with these guys you have groomed for the jobs, especially when they have done their current jobs well. 

16 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

It depends on Raheem Morris. I think the the job is his if he wants it, as he and Shanny are very close friends. I believe he was Shanny's first choice for DC but Morris decided to stay in ATL at the time. He's done a pretty nice job of turning that Falcons team around in a just over a month and making them competent and that may put him on Blank's radar OR another team's. He's a former HC so he has experience and he now has that 'I learned from my first stint as a HC look@me now' kind of appeal that could land him a HC job somewhere.

If its not Morris, me thinks it will be Ryans. Ulbrich would be a nice story from a Niner's perspective but I think Shanny holds DR in very high regard and would give him the opportunity over bringing someone in from the outside.

I'm not sure if he was the top of the list of not, but you're correct that shanny tried to bring him here first. 

Not sure about ulbrich. I mean the defense could be his doing, but also could be Morris' after being freed from the shackles of Quinn

37 minutes ago, Forge said:

If we want to keep Peters, there's basically only one way you can do it (well, two if you want to consider getting lucky to be a viable strategy lol), which is to move Lynch to President of OPs and name Peters Gm. 

Feel like that would have happened when we extended Shanny/Lynch. It didn't, so idk if thats a viable move. 

I've always wondered if the success we've had as a FO is more Lynch or Peters. Guess we'll find out, if Peters does indeed leave.

Are there any other VP of Player Personnel types we could hire to replace Peters? Besides promoting Mayhew

I like Saleh and it will suck to lose him, but i'm not too shook up on it. Promote Ryans or hire Morris, both are good. As long as we keep Kris Kocurek 

Edited by 49ersfan

7 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Feel like that would have happened when we extended Shanny/Lynch. It didn't, so idk if thats a viable move. 

I've always wondered if the success we've had as a FO is more Lynch or Peters. Guess we'll find out, if Peters does indeed leave.

Are there any other VP of Player Personnel types we could hire to replace Peters? Besid

I like Saleh and it will suck to lose him, but i'm not too shook up on it. Promote Ryans or hire Morris, both are good. As long as we keep Kris Kocurek 

It's a viable move if only because it's a promotion for Lynch and Peters. They'd negotiate new deals for each, but that's not a major problem or anything. 

It's not just them though either, and that's the thing. The personnel part of the GM job is really a combination of multiple people, which is why I'm a little surprised we haven't done the President of Ops things. Obviously Peters seems to be the head talent evaluator, but Lynch obviously makes decisions, Kyle has a say, and we far too often forget about the job Martin Mayhew has done since this regime has come to SF as he is an important part of that. 

FWIW, I would assume that the replacement for Peters would likely be Ethan Waugh. 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's a viable move if only because it's a promotion for Lynch and Peters. They'd negotiate new deals for each, but that's not a major problem or anything. 

It's not just them though either, and that's the thing. The personnel part of the GM job is really a combination of multiple people, which is why I'm a little surprised we haven't done the President of Ops things. Obviously Peters seems to be the head talent evaluator, but Lynch obviously makes decisions, Kyle has a say, and we far too often forget about the job Martin Mayhew has done since this regime has come to SF as he is an important part of that. 

You're right. I guess, as long we can keep Shanny & Lynch, and they can keep hiring quality assistant FO personnel/Coaches, we should be in good shape. Can't keep everyone forever. 

Add to that..if Peters leaves, sure that's a hit. But I would be more worried about about a bunch of scouts leaving with Peters.

But agree with everyone else, would have liked to have seen a move with Lynch to president and Peters to GM. Or some other title change for Lynch to get Peters in position. But that's a lot easier said than done. 

8 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yes!!!! 

So we're talking Chargers and Texans? Though man the Texans despite having Watson are kind of a mess. 

Falcons too...I feel like people would still consider Ryan > Stafford, and I believe that the falcons also need a GM

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Falcons too...I feel like people would still consider Ryan > Stafford, and I believe that the falcons also need a GM

I would think it could also be Jax, NYJ or anyone who could possibly be in the realm of getting a top qb in the draft. 

I’m shocked that a lot of teams (I saw ATL & DET as possibles) who are searching for a GM want to consider Dorsey. Rumors are wherever he goes, Bieniemy will coach. 

Like the rest of us, I’m more concerned about losing Peters if he goes with Saleh to become the GM for said team (if GM position is vacant). 

Edited by StevenK