2021 Off-season FO / Coaching / Saleh to the Jets - Page 9

N4L

24 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

So in the end Trent Williams was had for a 5th round pick....

I get why this is said but there's still a pretty big difference in picking 74th opposed to say 100th. 

Obviously Trent was well worth it and if he leaves we will pick up a 3rd rounder the following year. But let's hope that does not happen. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Forge said:

Maybe the jets will overpay some of our free agents now to bring them in and help us in the comp game

Hyder, K'Waun, and Tartt seems like pretty obvious choices. Sherman and Spoon definitely seem like strong possibilities as well. I think we're looking at some pretty good comp picks next year, in addition to the other 3rd we're getting next year for Saleh.

9 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Hyder, K'Waun, and Tartt seems like pretty obvious choices. Sherman and Spoon definitely seem like strong possibilities as well. I think we're looking at some pretty good comp picks next year, in addition to the other 3rd we're getting next year for Saleh.

K'waun only makes sense if the Jets don't bring back Poole, who is a very solid slot corner himself. But I can see him following Saleh to NY.

9 hours ago, N4L said:

Spoon is gonna leave and absolutely blow up there. The Jets corners are horrendous and the fanbase will be excited about him once they see him play. Rather than here where if you aren't perfect immediately people will trash you and never forget the bad plays you made. The dude just needed to find his confidence. I think we would be making a mistake by letting him leave 

I mean it is not like Spoon hasn't had his chances here. Did he get screwed by the coaching staff this season? Absolutely, but it was on him for his inconsistent play at times. I agree he's going to kill it wherever he ends up next season. Shanahan even said for him to work the way he did after he was inactive for some weeks to take advantage of his opportunity is a good sign for his future. I just loved our pass the defense the last few weeks of the season with the Verrett/Spoon duo. Those two were absolutely lockdown and often times left on an island. It allowed Saleh to bring the blitz more to get pressure. Would not be one bit if that is our starting duo next season...That likely does not happen though. Verrett needs to be the second priority behind Trent for us. Though man it is a huge risk relying on him to be healthy two seasons in a row. If we can get Spoon back with Moseley and Verrett, then potentially take a corner in the first three rounds? That would be awesome and give us the insurance we need in case Verrett does get hurt. 

Tartt is damn near a lock to go to NY though. The team will roll with Moore/Ward going forward and Tartt unfortunately just can't stay healthy for an entire season. Will be a big help to that secondary though.

Good chance NYJ can take one of the top 3-4 corners with their second first round pick. Saleh will build that defense up, but it won't happen in year one. 

15 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean it is not like Spoon hasn't had his chances here. Did he get screwed by the coaching staff this season? Absolutely, but it was on him for his inconsistent play at times. I agree he's going to kill it wherever he ends up next season. Shanahan even said for him to work the way he did after he was inactive for some weeks to take advantage of his opportunity is a good sign for his future. I just loved our pass the defense the last few weeks of the season with the Verrett/Spoon duo. Those two were absolutely lockdown and often times left on an island. It allowed Saleh to bring the blitz more to get pressure. Would not be one bit if that is our starting duo next season...That likely does not happen though. Verrett needs to be the second priority behind Trent for us. Though man it is a huge risk relying on him to be healthy two seasons in a row. If we can get Spoon back with Moseley and Verrett, then potentially take a corner in the first three rounds? That would be awesome and give us the insurance we need in case Verrett does get hurt. 

Tartt is damn near a lock to go to NY though. The team will roll with Moore/Ward going forward and Tartt unfortunately just can't stay healthy for an entire season. Will be a big help to that secondary though.

Good chance NYJ can take one of the top 3-4 corners with their second first round pick. Saleh will build that defense up, but it won't happen in year one. 

Yeah, agreed. I really don't see Sherm at age 32 going into a rebuild with the Jets but I could be wrong...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Yeah, I expected McDaniel to get this position tag but still wouldn't prevent other teams from interviewing him since he won't be able to call the plays here. I would actually like to see Shanahan for like a game give up his play calling duties just to see how McDaniel does lol. 

• Like 1

The DBs I want to keep most are Verrett and Williams. 

And what is this crap about "so Trent Williams only cost us a 5th rounder"? C'mon, son! Just because you recoup (a much later) 3rd round pick because a minority coach is hired away doesn't mean Trent only cost us a 5th rounder. There's no logic in that! 1 action doesn't equate the other in results or reality. 🤨

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Obviously Trent was well worth it and if he leaves we will pick up a 3rd rounder the following year. But let's hope that does not happen. 

No he won't. Best you can get for Trent is a 5th. Same for Sherman. They have 10 years of service time. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

So basically he just didn't want to choose between the Mikes the first time around and thus split it up ? 

Or we want to make it harder for another team to poach McDaniel from us. One thing i find curious in this is that LaFleur started as the WR coach/passing game coordinator while McDaniel hasn't had another role attached. Only when we hired Welker LaFleur was named just passing game coordinator. Feel we might give Day or Welker a bigger role in gameplanning or maybe bring in a guy like Scangarello to become a Senior Offensive assistant to basically replace LaFleur and groom them to replace McDaniel after he leaves us(honestly even with his past problems is a matter of time).

19 minutes ago, Forge said:

I could see Shanny letting him take everyone but Benton. The rest of the guys could be promoted to different roles like Bullocks to DB coach (instead of specifically safeties), Whitecotton to D-Line coach instead of asst. etc.

Just now, GW21 said:

I could see Shanny letting him take everyone but Benton. The rest of the guys could be promoted to different roles like Bullocks to DB coach (instead of specifically safeties), Whitecotton to D-Line coach instead of asst. etc.

I could see him letting Benton go too though. Don't we still have Foerster? Though maybe we are hesitant to advertise that we employ him....I'm not even sure he's on the website. 

• Like 1