2021 Off-season FO / Coaching / Saleh to the Jets - Page 9

N4L

11 hours ago, Dutch said:

I get that he's an absolute Swiss army knife, and can so many things traditional fullbacks can't. Deep wheel route!!! It seems that his blocking has tapered off, and maybe it's because Kittle wasn't around, but can't we scout and find our own Juice to craft into exactly what he is best at? Doesn't seem like the rest of the league is in the market for that.

That's my biggest issue as well. I mean, if Juice can't block (and he wasn't able to last year) then what really makes him all that more valuable or better to have back there than Ross Dwelley? 

Just now, Forge said:

So a team trying to win now with limited cap maneuverability uses a prime asset + 5 million on a backup QB. Makes sense

and I think King said he wasn't as plugged in with us as he was in the past....

We are better off packaging that second round pick to move up for Fields...

• Like 2

I mean, it's the kind of move that would just be beyond stupid. Logically, I'm just out. You have limited cap to work with and a whole of lot of holes. You're still trying to win now. You think Jimmy can be the guy, but you feel the need to throw a premium 2nd round assets + 5 million more in money at a guy that in a perfect world isn't going to see the field. 

Now, for what it's worth...I simply don't believe it. That's how preposterously stupid find it. If the pick were conditional for 2022 based on playing time, or was a lower pick this year, I could totally see it. I can't see it at a second rounder. 

30 minutes ago, Forge said:

So a team trying to win now with limited cap maneuverability uses a prime asset + 5 million on a backup QB. Makes sense

Yeah this sounds really dumb. His final year of his contract is 2022, which is his 5th year option at $18.8 mil. I feel that the premise of trading for Darnold now is to see if he can be a quality starting QB moving forward, which means starting all 16 games in 2021 before you have to make a decision on his 5th year option. Sitting him behind Jimmy makes zero sense at all. 

These "rumors" are getting dumber by the day.

• Like 1

Just now, NinerNation21 said:

"I'm coming back unless someone over pays."

I'm perfectly fine with that attitude and that situation. I'm not enamored with Bourne, I think he's fine at what he is (something i won't overpay for), but the dude does show up every game, which is something we don't have enough of lol

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm perfectly fine with that attitude and that situation. I'm not enamored with Bourne, I think he's fine at what he is (something i won't overpay for), but the dude does show up every game, which is something we don't have enough of lol

Pretty good in the RZ and on third down too. I'd love to have KB back, but like you, I don't want to break the bank on him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Another day, another Darnold rumor lol.

I mean I don't even mind 5M as the back up, but I would have a big problem giving up a 2nd rounder for him. There's needs that need to be addressed in the draft that cannot but addressed in free agency. 

I'm having a tough time differentiating between whether or not all of these people are indicating stuff that they are hearing from reliable sources, or are just putting out their own opinion on what makes sense as a potential destination. 

IF they want to move in on Darnold, I'm fine with it. Not a move I love, but I've said it before, I totally get the appeal. But I don't understand grabbing him for a second round pick to be a back up. If this is what the team is trying to do, it just reeks of trying to have your cake and eat it too. Its like the staff refuses to jump into the pool. If you like Darnold enough to trade a second for him, go ahead and shoot your shot. 

Honestly this entire situation is eerily reminiscent of the Jimmy trade. Basically the same contractual situation, and remember how there was talk about how we weren't going to play Jimmy? lol. 

This whole thing is freaking weird. 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm having a tough time differentiating between whether or not all of these people are indicating stuff that they are hearing from reliable sources, or are just putting out their own opinion on what makes sense as a potential destination. 

IF they want to move in on Darnold, I'm fine with it. Not a move I love, but I've said it before, I totally get the appeal. But I don't understand grabbing him for a second round pick to be a back up. If this is what the team is trying to do, it just reeks of trying to have your cake and eat it too. Its like the staff refuses to jump into the pool. If you like Darnold enough to trade a second for him, go ahead and shoot your shot. 

Honestly this entire situation is eerily reminiscent of the Jimmy trade. Basically the same contractual situation, and remember how there was talk about how we weren't going to play Jimmy? lol. 

This whole thing is freaking weird. 

The part about not playing him was always BS. They just weren't going to play him until after the bye week. 

But that's the thing, you don't give up a 2nd rounder for him if he's your backup. If you want to start him and move on from Jimmy? Okay fine, then with the added cap space, make sure you sure up the corner or DE spots before the draft.

To keep both and still give up a 2nd for Darnold is ridiculous though.

I don't see this happening, at least not for a 2nd rounder. 

• Like 1