2021 Off-season FO / Coaching / Saleh to the Jets - Page 9

N4L

Just now, NcFinest9erFan said:

refresh my mind but how has he looked in the slot? I can't remember much of it...

I'm pretty sure he's barely played there. I have about 50 snaps there in each of the last two seasons. Too small of a sample

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Sounded incentive based, and I'd guarantee the first year is less than whatever they were thinking about tendering him at. So basically they gave him a little more guaranteed most likely, the second year is a nice pay day if he shows he's worth it, etc. 

My guess is the team really wanted a lower first year cap hit than the tender. 

• Like 3

Just now, Forge said:

Sounded incentive based, and I'd guarantee the first year is less than whatever they were thinking about tendering him at. So basically they gave him a little more guaranteed most likely, the second year is a nice pay day if he shows he's worth it, etc. 

Tender would be around 3 if they didn't want to original tender him which would be around 2. So kinda makes sense if its say 2 that can grow to 3 for example and then based on performance next year is determined. 

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

Personally, I'd keep him outside and try to avoid lining him up against guys like DK Metcalf and Hopkins. 

He can play either spots. If he is on the outside, then he is not avoiding those two or other top WRs like Adams period. 

I rather wait to see who they sign/draft to determine where his best fit will be. But definitely capable of playing outside and inside.

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

He can play either spots. If he is on the outside, then he is not avoiding those two or other top WRs like Adams period. 

I rather wait to see who they sign/draft to determine where his best fit will be. But definitely capable of playing outside and inside.

He has 101 snaps in the slot as far as I know. I don't believe we can have any real idea for whether or not he can play there. I know he can play on the outside...he just can't do it against certain guys. He's not going to be able to avoid them altogether, but under a more man based approach we can certainly limit his exposure to them. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

He has 101 snaps in the slot as far as I know. I don't believe we can have any real idea for whether or not he can play there. I know he can play on the outside...he just can't do it against certain guys. He's not going to be able to avoid them altogether, but under a more man based approach we can certainly limit his exposure to them. 

He played in the slot some in preseason and looked fine when he played in limited snaps this season. Got beat once by Kupp but his movement skills and physicality fit well in the slot. That's not a concern.

Even if the team plays man, he's not avoiding them. This defense in the past hasn't had a CB follow opposing teams #1. When Saleh did move the corners, it was to play the boundary or field side. Ryans may be different but if you play Moseley on the outside then you live with him matched up against those top guys. There's no dodging them, especially with how teams move their WRs. 

Moseley shouldn't be penciled in as a starter on the outside or inside just yet, but you let him compete, and prefer him playing the slot with Verrett and a bigger outside corner opposite of him. That's more ideal. 

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

That's not to say that I think he's incapable of it. For some guys, it's definitely an easier spot to play. But I know he's capable of playing outside, so I don't see a reason for pushing him inside and trying that experiment either. 

59 minutes ago, Forge said:

This is a good signing and an expected one, low risk/high reward.

I am more curious to see what we add opposite Moseley. I would expect a CB in the first 2-3 rounds, but If thats the case, I really think we need to add a veteran to that group, much the same as how are WR group benefitted from adding Emmanuel Sanders.

I am not advocating re-signing Sherman, especially for what he will probably cost. But we lose a lot of veteran leadership/ coaching with him leaving...not to mention Verrett as well. So adding a veteran along the lines of a Patrick Peterson, Janoris Jenkins, etc. I think would be huge.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2021/3/12/22327891/free-agency-preview-could-juju-smith-schuster-be-a-target-for-the-49ers 

• Ben believes the 49ers would be interested in a free agent receiver and name drops Juju Smith-Schuster as a potential pairing for the 49ers
  • A Deebo Samuel bomb — Ben said he doesn’t believe the 49ers would bring Samuel back for a second contract and that the coaching staff is cooler on Samuel than the media

Just now, NcFinest9erFan said:

https://www.ninersnation.com/2021/3/12/22327891/free-agency-preview-could-juju-smith-schuster-be-a-target-for-the-49ers 

• Ben believes the 49ers would be interested in a free agent receiver and name drops Juju Smith-Schuster as a potential pairing for the 49ers
  • A Deebo Samuel bomb — Ben said he doesn’t believe the 49ers would bring Samuel back for a second contract and that the coaching staff is cooler on Samuel than the media

So Deebo is gonna be part of the package deal for Watson.. Got it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I actually mentioned this a long time ago. I love deebo...but I think there's always a good chance that he'll have some injuries and doubts that his body will hold up, and just as important....it's really, really hard for me to justify big money to receivers sometimes. Given our two receivers right now, I think most would agree that if you're signing one long term, the better bet is probably Aiyuk. 

JJSS is so overrated. If you're getting him at a like 7/8 million, I think that's about right. But thats his market. Someone is going to give him something stupid like 15 though. 

• Like 1