2021 Off-season FO / Coaching / Saleh to the Jets - Page 9

N4L

@Forge et al,

Just hoping for a bit more perspective that I can pass along to the folks that still pop up in my Twitter feed from when I was a Chargers blogger, asking questions about them still.  With Saleh going and taking Mike LaFleur with him, is the presumption that Kyle will slap the OC designation on Mike McDaniel (who has been with him for-like-ever) in order to keep from losing both in the same offseason, or would he be amenable to letting him go if it was to a gig where MM got play-calling responsibilities?

I mostly ask because Albert Breer, in a recent article, listed Brandon Staley as a potential name to watch for as Chargers future HC and that he (Breer) would expect him to bring along McDaniel, even though I can see no discernible coaching tree branch or Rolodex tie between the two of them, other than the fact that they coached in the same division for HC's that, themselves, used to staff together.

Any insight is appreciated.

3 minutes ago, The LBC said:

@Forge et al,

Just hoping for a bit more perspective that I can pass along to the folks that still pop up in my Twitter feed from when I was a Chargers blogger, asking questions about them still.  With Saleh going and taking Mike LaFleur with him, is the presumption that Kyle will slap the OC designation on Mike McDaniel (who has been with him for-like-ever) in order to keep from losing both in the same offseason, or would he be amenable to letting him go if it was to a gig where MM got play-calling responsibilities?

I mostly ask because Albert Breer, in a recent article, listed Brandon Staley as a potential name to watch for as Chargers future HC and that he (Breer) would expect him to bring along McDaniel, even though I can see no discernible coaching tree branch or Rolodex tie between the two of them, other than the fact that they coached in the same division for HC's that, themselves, used to staff together.

Any insight is appreciated.

McDaniel is getting a raise and a promotion in terms of position title but highly doubt he calls plays. Shanahan already addressed this late in the season saying he sees no reason why he would stop calling plays.

So McDaniel can still interview elsewhere and take another job if given play calling duties. 

• Like 1

Trade No. 5: Watson to 49ers
49ERS GET TEXANS GET
Deshaun Watson
Jimmy Garoppolo

Nick Bosa

2021 1st (No. 12)

2022 2nd (can upgrade)

The Texans would be getting from the 49ers a premium pass rusher to succeed J.J. Watt, plus a quarterback in Jimmy Garoppolo who would be familiar to new GM Nick Caserio, a fellow New England alum. The 2022 conditional second-round pick would upgrade to a first-rounder if the 49ers reached the playoffs with Watson. This deal was tough on a couple of fronts. Garoppolo and the 12th pick might not sufficiently replace Watson, while the 49ers would be losing a dominant pass rusher one year after unloading DeForest Buckner.

Would be tough to lose Bosa for sure, but give me that package any day of the week! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Would be tough to lose Bosa for sure, but give me that package any day of the week! 

Damn, you're like one step ahead of me today. Was seriously just about to post this. 

And yes, I agree, I would make this deal. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Damn, you're like one step ahead of me today. Was seriously just about to post this. 

And yes, I agree, I would make this deal. 

I'm just glad folks are starting to realize what we will have to give up to get Watson. Picks were never going to get it done. Always was going to involve someone like Bosa who could make up for the lack draft compensation compared to other teams.

Ultimately though, he's likely not coming here. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm just glad folks are starting to realize what we will have to give up to get Watson. Picks were never going to get it done. Always was going to involve someone like Bosa who could make up for the lack draft compensation compared to other teams.

Ultimately though, he's likely not coming here. 

I'd be very surprised if he did. I love joking about it, but I think this FO would much rather give up #12 and next year's one to go up to like 6 and grab a Wilson or Fields

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'd be very surprised if he did. I love joking about it, but I think this FO would much rather give up #12 and next year's one to go up to like 6 and grab a Wilson or Fields

Same. Bosa is a stud. I’d rather give up multiple firsts than multiple high picks and Nick. Bosa and our 1st is closer, but that’d still be hard for me to swallow. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Oh................

Please no. 

• Like 2