2021 Off-season FO / Coaching / Saleh to the Jets - Page 9

N4L

1 minute ago, AustrianNiner said:

Well, looks like he won't be retiring. Hopefully he can get back on the field. He's been productive when he's been out there. I wonder how much that adds to our cap number. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GW21 said:

Well, looks like he won't be retiring. Hopefully he can get back on the field. He's been productive when he's been out there. I wonder how much that adds to our cap number. 

Probably adds to 2022, but subtracts to 2021.

2 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Will be interesting to see what this means for the cap this year. Such a shame he just hasn't been healthy for us. 

Max it could save was 13 million

*edit* 

actually, maybe like 14 and some change. They may have just taken away the non guaranteed portion of hte deal as well in the restructure

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I don't think it will save that much. But will be able to get rid of him next year without a big hit. 

I'm also guessing there is really no need to touch Jimmy's contract at all? 

Could see us touching it a little after the draft to create room for say a Warner extension.

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

May be able to do so even without a restructure to be honest. 

Sure can but if we do something at the earliest i expect it after the draft since thats when we know if he is the starter next year/year after(if we draft a guy like Lance).

1 minute ago, Justone2 said:

Sure can but if we do something at the earliest i expect it after the draft since thats when we know if he is the starter next year/year after(if we draft a guy like Lance).

I think a Warner extension wouldn't cost us much in 2021. He'd probably play the year at the same salary, he'd just get the prorated portion of his signing bonus on top of it, while the big money would start in 2022. So let's say he gets a 5 year extension with a 18m signing bonus, he'd get 3m added to his 2021 cap hit, which isn't a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. 

Restructuring Jimmy's contract will always be a last resort. Not so much because I think the team doesn't believe in his talent enough to justify locking up more dead money to his name. I think the team might not believe in his health enough to do so.

• Like 1

Just now, rudyZ said:

I think a Warner extension wouldn't cost us much in 2021. He'd probably play the year at the same salary, he'd just get the prorated portion of his signing bonus on top of it, while the big money would start in 2022. So let's say he gets a 5 year extension with a 18m signing bonus, he'd get 3m added to his 2021 cap hit, which isn't a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. 

Restructuring Jimmy's contract will always be a last resort. Not so much because I think the team doesn't believe in his talent enough to justify locking up more dead money to his name. I think the team might not believe in his health enough to do so.

More like a small one where we convert like 4/5 mil to save 2/2,5 mil this year. Doesn't hurt next years cap really but also give us some extra room. I no way do i expect a total restructure but i can easily see a small one happening somewhere between the end of the draft and the start of the league year next year.