2021 Off-season FO / Coaching / Saleh to the Jets - Page 9

N4L

By the way, looking at Ryans success as an LB coach and now getting elevated to DC, I always thought Bowman would be a hell of a coach as well. Most Niners fans wanted Willis to return and be a coach after he retired but I never saw it with him. I don't think he wants to be involved in the grind, but Bowman used to have insane instincts and just loves the game. I wonder if he will get in the coaching ranks soon. I know he said he is happy to spend time with his family and especially his young kids, but maybe a few years down the line he does end up coaching. Would LOVE to see him in SF in some capacity. 

2 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I'm not going to lie, I've been seeing photos of Mike McDaniels all over Twitter today because of his promotion and I seriously thought that dude was a towel/water boy for the last 3 years. I had no idea THAT was McDaniels LOL.

When i googled him i had the exact same reaction. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Forge said:

Has Florio looked at that contract? 

Florio knows that Kyle prefers Cousins over watson, since thats the decision kyle made in 2017

So he is just recycling content from 4 years ago since both guys are available lol 

On 12/3/2020 at 4:56 PM, N4L said:

Figured this deserved its own thread. He is a great coach but he may leave. I have had some issues with him in the past but he really does call a good game when he has the players to execute it. 

If we lose him, who would everyone want to hire? Ryans is a guy a lot of people want. I am going to throw out another dark horse former NFL LB that I think actually may be a better hire - Jeff Ulbrich. 

He has done wonders to turn around Falcons Defense this year and he may not stick around there depending on what they do at HC. 

What does everyone think? 

OP

Ulbrich would be a fantastic hire for the Jets. Shame we dont have a place for him here because I really think he is going to be a DC for a long time in this league.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

By the way, looking at Ryans success as an LB coach and now getting elevated to DC, I always thought Bowman would be a hell of a coach as well. Most Niners fans wanted Willis to return and be a coach after he retired but I never saw it with him. I don't think he wants to be involved in the grind, but Bowman used to have insane instincts and just loves the game. I wonder if he will get in the coaching ranks soon. I know he said he is happy to spend time with his family and especially his young kids, but maybe a few years down the line he does end up coaching. Would LOVE to see him in SF in some capacity. 

Being a great player and a great coach takes such a different skillset... The greats can't necessarily teach what they did to be successful and frankly most of them these days made enough money that they don't need to grind the way you need to as a coach just to get by. Its probably much easier (and more profitable) to do endorsements, talk shows, and just generally be involved in the entertainment side of the business. It would take a special kind of person that just needs that grind to do it. 

Just out of curiosity who does everyone think is the best combination of player/coach to date? Did Jordan do the coaching thing or was he on the management side? I don't think he did very well in any case. Mike Ditka? Superbowl winning head coach and HOF player. Gretzky tried it out in hockey but I don't think he did very well either. Elway? Had a couple decent years as GM and then kind of fell off the cliff and he is roster management not coach. If Elway counts... Lynch has had a couple of good years as GM but he wasn't near the player that Elway was. 

15 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

Being a great player and a great coach takes such a different skillset... The greats can't necessarily teach what they did to be successful and frankly most of them these days made enough money that they don't need to grind the way you need to as a coach just to get by. Its probably much easier (and more profitable) to do endorsements, talk shows, and just generally be involved in the entertainment side of the business. It would take a special kind of person that just needs that grind to do it. 

Just out of curiosity who does everyone think is the best combination of player/coach to date? Did Jordan do the coaching thing or was he on the management side? I don't think he did very well in any case. Mike Ditka? Superbowl winning head coach and HOF player. Gretzky tried it out in hockey but I don't think he did very well either. Elway? Had a couple decent years as GM and then kind of fell off the cliff and he is roster management not coach. If Elway counts... Lynch has had a couple of good years as GM but he wasn't near the player that Elway was. 

Larry Bird quite easily I would say. Successful HC and president after his playing career. 

• Like 1

WFT hired Hurney. So we get to keep Mayhew & Peters. Awesome, our FO is still intact 

Coaching staff took a bit of a beating, but we have some good replacements for just about everyone we lost. Think we come out of this OK. And we get two 3rd round picks for Saleh too

I believe we still need a LB coach now that Ryans is promoted. Not sure who we're looking at there

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 1

Sucks to lose Mayhew, but if we had to lose someone from the FO, glad it was him instead of Peters

Lets see who replaces him. Ran Carthon? Ethan Waugh? Have to imagine it'll be internal

Also, wouldn't be surprised if WFT is trying to game the system by hiring him as a "senior executive" instead of GM. We're a conference foe, so they probably don't want to give us an extra 3rd rounder.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Sucks to lose Mayhew, but if we had to lose someone from the FO, glad it was him instead of Peters

Lets see who replaces him. Ran Carthon? Ethan Waugh? Have to imagine it'll be internal

Also, wouldn't be surprised if WFT is trying to game the system by hiring him as a "senior executive" instead of GM. We're a conference foe, so they probably don't want to give us an extra 3rd rounder.

Think Carthon would be the one or we might promote Peters to say assistant GM and give both those guys a "promotion".