2021 Off-season FO / Coaching / Saleh to the Jets - Page 9

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I could see us being in on this, but I still think the proper play is to go the bargain route with Damien Williams (unless my radar with each of their markets is way off) 

Interesting thing to me about the Juju jets rumor 

I'm not going to look it up, but I believe he and darnold were at USC at the same time. So I wonder what they are telling juju about their QB plans. You would imagine that he would want some amount of clarity about who his QB will be. Its natural for any FA WR to make sure he knows what he is signing up for at that position. 

Everyone has assumed that the Jets draft Zack Wilson, but I'm not sure that happens if they sign juju ... 

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, N4L said:

Interesting thing to me about the Juju jets rumor 

I'm not going to look it up, but I believe he and darnold were at USC at the same time. So I wonder what they are telling juju about their QB plans. You would imagine that he would want some amount of clarity about who his QB will be. Its natural for any FA WR to make sure he knows what he is signing up for at that position. 

Everyone has assumed that the Jets draft Zack Wilson, but I'm not sure that happens if they sign juju ... 

They aren't going to let the signing of a marginal wide receiver dictate what they do with the second pick in the draft. Unless you're thinking that just because they went to college together is a reading the tea leaves sort of thing, which I would say is a stretch. 

We have to be signing Trubisky, right? I mean, there's not much else out there in terms of back up QB. We have familiarity with Hoyer, but I can't imagine that's any better than Mullens. Smith is a possibility I suppose, but that doesn't seem likely. Maybe Chase Daniel? He's a free agent I think. I suppose Joe Flacco is a viable candidate. 

That market got pillaged faster than I thought. So many teams were looking for back up / starter hybrids it feels like.

1 minute ago, Forge said:

We have to be signing Trubisky, right? I mean, there's not much else out there in terms of back up QB. We have familiarity with Hoyer, but I can't imagine that's any better than Mullens. Smith is a possibility I suppose, but that doesn't seem likely. Maybe Chase Daniel? He's a free agent I think. I suppose Joe Flacco is a viable candidate. 

That market got pillaged faster than I thought. So many teams were looking for back up / starter hybrids it feels like.

I'd be ok with signing biscuit. As long as it's cheap. I feel like he got a raw deal from Chicago and would be interested to see what Shanny could do with him.

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Forge said:

They aren't going to let the signing of a marginal wide receiver dictate what they do with the second pick in the draft. Unless you're thinking that just because they went to college together is a reading the tea leaves sort of thing, which I would say is a stretch. 

I'm not saying juju will affect their quarterback decision. I'm saying that juju probably wouldn't sign somewhere that he didn't know what their plan was... or at least, if I was a WR that was about to sign with a team, I would be asking that question. 

Especially because it seems like most of these WRs plan on doing a short term deal to hit the market again when the cap goes up. So if he signs a one year deal, would he really do that knowing that he will be catching passes from a rookie? He would be better off going to a team like GB in that scenario. 

Edited by N4L
8 minutes ago, N4L said:

I'm not saying juju will affect their quarterback decision. I'm saying that juju probably wouldn't sign somewhere where he didn't know what their plan was... or at least, if I was a WR that was about to sign with a team, I would be asking that question. 

Especially because it seems like most of these WRs plan on doing a short term deal to hit the market again when the cap goes up. So if he signs a one year deal, would he really do that knowing that he will be catching passes from a rookie? He would be better off going to a team like GB in that scenario. 

Impossible to say. He may not have a market. New York could just be offering him far more money and coming off his rookie deal where he didn't make a ton, he wants to cash in. No way to know what he values and to see where his thinking is and who is actually in on him. Green Bay wouldn't be a good choice imo, but Indy could...but Ballard doesn't appear to be in on anyone. I don't know that you can read anything into Juju selecting the jets with regards to their QB situation. People sign with bad teams and weird situations all the time. Look at how many guys the Texans have signed lol 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think the backup this year is Jones/Lance/Fields/Wilson?!? before Jimmy gets the boot. The team essentially played free agency like I did earlier this off-season when I cut Jimmy G. (I couldn't magic away Dee Ford money and such to do both). We have a crapton of cap commitments in the next couple of years. A ton of young talent paying and to be paid. Try to run the 2019 team (ish) back for one last hurrah with the rook being terrific injury protection and then move on. It's elegant. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, JIllg said:

I think the backup this year is Jones/Lance/Fields/Wilson?!? before Jimmy gets the boot. The team essentially played free agency like I did earlier this off-season when I cut Jimmy G. (I couldn't magic away Dee Ford money and such to do both). We have a crapton of cap commitments in the next couple of years. A ton of young talent paying and to be paid. Try to run the 2019 team (ish) back for one last hurrah with the rook being terrific injury protection and then move on. It's elegant. 

This is my hope, but I won't believe it until we get to the draft and haven't signed a backup lol 

He will probably have a market that exceeds what we can afford, but if you want a replacement for Reed, this is a guy to target. 

9 minutes ago, JIllg said:

This is what I’ve been pushing for back when people were advocating for cutting Jimmy and signing Jameis. It allows us an opportunity to rehab Jimmy’s value while giving a rookie a chance to learn our complex offense and we can trade Jimmy next offseason or just cut bait if he doesn’t perform and let the rookie take over. Watson would be a cool get, but I’m sure you all know how I feel about losing our defensive cornerstones by now. 

Besides depth in general, what immediate needs do we have at the moment? I'd say a nickel CB and thats about it. If we can get K'Waun back or sign Brian Poole, then we're fully set up for a rookie QB. 

Unless its Lance, i'd hope we roll with whatever rookie QB we get, with Trubisky as the backup. We could use the cap savings & maximise the number of years of a QB on his rookie contract.

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 1
13 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Besides depth in general, what immediate needs do we have at the moment? I'd say a nickel CB and thats about it. If we can get K'Waun back or sign Brian Poole, then we're fully set up for a rookie QB. 

Unless its Lance, i'd hope we roll with whatever rookie QB we get, with Trubisky as the backup. We could use the cap savings & maximise the number of years of a QB on his rookie contract.

Needs

• Nickel corner - Need a prove nickel to sure up pass defense
  • Slot WR - I'd prefer a rookie here to compete with Hurd and Richie James
  • Depth outside corner - Need one or two guys behind Moseley and Verrett. Sign one / draft one would be choice.

Wants

• Depth outside WR - Need someone behind Deebo and Aiyuk
  • #2 TE - Could use another weapon here. I'd love to target someone in the draft first, then fill via FA after, if needed.
  • Backup Center - I'd target someone in the draft, and if that falls through, I'd sign Garland back.
  • Depth EDGE - Could use one more EDGE rusher. I'd re-sign Willis and draft someone, honestly.
  • Backup FS - Would love to get one of the safeties in the draft. There's a lot of underrated talent here in the early to middle rounds.
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Needs

• Nickel corner - Need a prove nickel to sure up pass defense
  • Slot WR - I'd prefer a rookie here to compete with Hurd and Richie James
  • Depth outside corner - Need one or two guys behind Moseley and Verrett. Sign one / draft one would be choice.

Wants

• Depth outside WR - Need someone behind Deebo and Aiyuk
  • #2 TE - Could use another weapon here. I'd love to target someone in the draft first, then fill via FA after, if needed.
  • Backup Center - I'd target someone in the draft, and if that falls through, I'd sign Garland back.
  • Depth EDGE - Could use one more EDGE rusher. I'd re-sign Willis and draft someone, honestly.
  • Backup FS - Would love to get one of the safeties in the draft. There's a lot of underrated talent here in the early to middle rounds.

Good overall list. I'd also include another RB. I think we can address most if not all of these needs in the 3rd-7th rounds, UDFA, & bargain bin FA.

I wouldn't mind a trade to 3 for something like our 1, 2, future 1, & one starter (non-elite). Then we get our pick of Fields, Lance, or Jones. Shanny always makes sure he gets his guy so IF he does want a rookie, i don't think he'll be content to wait until #12.