2021 Off-season FO / Coaching / Saleh to the Jets - Page 9

52 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Needs

• Nickel corner - Need a prove nickel to sure up pass defense
  • Slot WR - I'd prefer a rookie here to compete with Hurd and Richie James
  • Depth outside corner - Need one or two guys behind Moseley and Verrett. Sign one / draft one would be choice.

Wants

• Depth outside WR - Need someone behind Deebo and Aiyuk
  • #2 TE - Could use another weapon here. I'd love to target someone in the draft first, then fill via FA after, if needed.
  • Backup Center - I'd target someone in the draft, and if that falls through, I'd sign Garland back.
  • Depth EDGE - Could use one more EDGE rusher. I'd re-sign Willis and draft someone, honestly.
  • Backup FS - Would love to get one of the safeties in the draft. There's a lot of underrated talent here in the early to middle rounds.

Think the only one i would be different is backup FS. Would probably prefer more of a SS type myself to push Harris either to LB or from the roster completely. Think Moore and Ward is perfectly fine at FS.

5 minutes ago, struby3 said:

I'd rather just resign Beathard, but maybe that is the Iowa homer in me.

Nah I'd rather have Flacco. This makes me think we are drafting a QB in the first.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, 49erurtaza said:

Nah I'd rather have Flacco. This makes me think we are drafting a QB in the first.

Yeah. Flacco is uninspiring as hell, but he's budget and I'd say that he's better than both Mullens and CJ. It *is* an improvement. I just would have preferred the long term upside if Jimmy went down for like 8 games or potentially into the future. Trubisky, Mariota, Minshew all make sense in that specific regard. 

But Flacco is whatever for 2 games. 

• Like 3
Just now, Forge said:

Yeah. Flacco is uninspiring as hell, but he's budget and I'd say that he's better than both Mullens and CJ. It *is* an improvement. I just would have preferred the long term upside if Jimmy went down for like 8 games or potentially into the future. Trubisky, Mariota, Minshew all make sense in that specific regard. 

Flacco hasn't even been average since 2014. Beathard outperformed him easily last year, is 9 years younger, would probably cost the same, and has 4 years of experience in a Shanahan offense. Shanny must really not think very highly of CJ if they are going with Flacco over him!

Just now, Forge said:

If i want upside i would just draft someone really. The price tag for those fringe starter/back-up types has been crazy to me so far this offseason. The whole Minshew thing just never made sense to me as to why they would trade him. Kinda like we had with Mullens after the 2018 season. He is dirt cheap for the next few years and unless you get something that blows your mind you are better off keeping them as back-ups.

Just now, 49erurtaza said:

Yup, idk I have this awful feeling we are going to trade up for Mac Jones. 

I am not gonna lie, I was completely against drafting Mac Jones....but I have definitely come around and would welcome drafting him if we jumped back into the end of the first. I DO NOT want him at #12 , thats for sure

Just now, Justone2 said:

If i want upside i would just draft someone really. The price tag for those fringe starter/back-up types has been crazy to me so far this offseason. The whole Minshew thing just never made sense to me as to why they would trade him. Kinda like we had with Mullens after the 2018 season. He is dirt cheap for the next few years and unless you get something that blows your mind you are better off keeping them as back-ups.

Very surprised by the market of some of them (haven't seen Trubs' contract yet). Mariota may actually be SOL if he gets cut...that market went fast. 

The ultimate desire is for the team to draft someone at the top  but I'm not sure that's their intention. You can't take a guy in the 4th or something and reasonably expect him to be a true, legitimate back up. So it's first round or bust, imo. 

Just now, 49erurtaza said:

Yup, idk I have this awful feeling we are going to trade up for Mac Jones. 

Don't know if you watched much of Mac but he really is one of those guys that grows on you(at least he is for me). Yeah he doesn't really have the crazy highlight plays of guys like Field or Lance but he also doesn't have the lows those guys have. I have some doubts about how high his ceiling is but when you look at the QB's that defined the last 20 years none of them really have much more physical tools than he has. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Justone2 said:

Don't know if you watched much of Mac but he really is one of those guys that grows on you(at least he is for me). Yeah he doesn't really have the crazy highlight plays of guys like Field or Lance but he also doesn't have the lows those guys have. I have some doubts about how high his ceiling is but when you look at the QB's that defined the last 20 years none of them really have much more physical tools than he has. 

I wouldn't trade up for him, but I've come around to drafting him at 12. Not my preference...but I have a hard time seeing how he's not successful with Kyle. 

• Like 1

I would imagine with the comp picks that we acquired we are going to trade up for the qb Kyle wants. I have no idea who, but it just seems with our offseason who we locked up what Kyle is going to target. 

I saw a rumor mentioning that ATL really likes Lance so I don’t think he will be around our pick. Maybe Fields drops a little and we trade in front of Carolina. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Very surprised by the market of some of them (haven't seen Trubs' contract yet). Mariota may actually be SOL if he gets cut...that market went fast. 

The ultimate desire is for the team to draft someone at the top  but I'm not sure that's their intention. You can't take a guy in the 4th or something and reasonably expect him to be a true, legitimate back up. So it's first round or bust, imo. 

I think you sure can get a fine back-up in the later rounds just like Minshew or even a Tim Boyle. I have said it before but for me you pick a QB every single year. Sure a lot of them will fail and you basically get nothing back for it but the times you hit something you either have a very cheap back-up or a very nice trade chip. Sure you can sign guys like Trubisky or Rosen but unless its for around vet min i am really not that interested. In general back-up QB is such a weird spot to me. You want a good one to be able to stay competitive when your starter gets hurt for a few games but when your QB like Jimmy has had gets injured in week two and if out for the rest of the season or basically the rest off the season give me a guy with upside to replace him instead of someone that has shown to be average at best. The biggest problem with the whole Beathard/Mullens situation is that we haven't brought in someone to push them and compete with them. they basically where safe these past few years. The only QB's we did bring where either bottom barrell UDFA's or 10th choice NFL QB's like Josh Johnson.

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I wouldn't trade up for him, but I've come around to drafting him at 12. Not my preference...but I have a hard time seeing how he's not successful with Kyle. 

Yeah trading up for him would be a tough one but really i would have a hard time giving up much for say a Fields or Lance either. Only one i would go all out for is Wilson(Lawrence too but we now there is no chance). For Fields i probably would be ok trading up to say 7 or 8 with swapping our 2nd for a 3rd and maybe a little something else. For Lance or Jones if they are there at 12 i am totally fine going Jones over Lance.