2021 Off-season FO / Coaching / Saleh to the Jets - Page 9

N4L

6 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

I think you sure can get a fine back-up in the later rounds just like Minshew or even a Tim Boyle. I have said it before but for me you pick a QB every single year. Sure a lot of them will fail and you basically get nothing back for it but the times you hit something you either have a very cheap back-up or a very nice trade chip. Sure you can sign guys like Trubisky or Rosen but unless its for around vet min i am really not that interested. In general back-up QB is such a weird spot to me. You want a good one to be able to stay competitive when your starter gets hurt for a few games but when your QB like Jimmy has had gets injured in week two and if out for the rest of the season or basically the rest off the season give me a guy with upside to replace him instead of someone that has shown to be average at best. The biggest problem with the whole Beathard/Mullens situation is that we haven't brought in someone to push them and compete with them. they basically where safe these past few years. The only QB's we did bring where either bottom barrell UDFA's or 10th choice NFL QB's like Josh Johnson.

I think the idea is to have a good back up QB for this season...no idea how anyone is taking a guy in rounds 2 -7 and expecting them to hold the fort down if forced to play immediately.  If we were the Panthers, I'd have no problem with my backup being a 5th round rookie. 

Gardner Minshew is a massive outlier in recent years  (Boyle has thrown 4 career passes, I believe) 

There's no way that this team's plan for backup was ever going to be mid round pick. This staff would get excoriated if the season collapsed due to that. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I think the idea is to have a good back up QB for this season...no idea how anyone is taking a guy in rounds 2 -7 and expecting them to hold the fort down if forced to play immediately.  If we were the Panthers, I'd have no problem with my backup being a 5th round rookie. 

Gardner Minshew is a massive outlier in recent years

There's no way that this team's plan for backup was ever going to be mid round pick. This staff would get excoriated if the season collapsed due to that. 

Yeah no problem with that and i totally get that but i am not paying my back-up 10m plus. Its such a weird market for those guys where some years you see them signing for say 5 mil and then this year with a decreasing cap they somehow go for double that. I think in general its more a thing where i hate the way we handled that spot the last few years more than anything.

But which other QB has even had a chance to show anything. He really is the only one with extended playing time. Especially for last years rookie class there was no way for a later round pick to make that leap. And yeah not every QB picked will be Minshew just like every first QB take first overall isn't Peyton Manning or every QB drafted at 13 is Pat Mahomes. However if you don't shoot you will never hit and with the importance of the QB position give me a shotgun over a sniper. 

I am sure the team wanted to upgrade out back-up QB situation. However i don't think Flacco offers much improvement over Mullens or Beathard and the ones that are more likely to really be a upgrade already signed for much more money i think we would be comfortable with. 

• Like 1

There's just not enough good QB's going around. Fitz, Dalton, Winston, & Taylor are all backup calibre players going into situations where they may all start. We simply can't offer that 

Minshew is cheap & young but probably will cost a 4th rounder or so, otherwise why would Jax give him up. Don't know if we'll give up a 4th for a backup. Rosen is a non-factor. 

I really would have liked Trubisky. Oh well

I'd rather sign Mariota once he becomes available. Flacco is bleh 

11 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

About damn time!

24 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

There's just not enough good QB's going around. Fitz, Dalton, Winston, & Taylor are all backup calibre players going into situations where they may all start. We simply can't offer that 

Minshew is cheap & young but probably will cost a 4th rounder or so, otherwise why would Jax give him up. Don't know if we'll give up a 4th for a backup. Rosen is a non-factor. 

I really would have liked Trubisky. Oh well

I'd rather sign Mariota once he becomes available. Flacco is bleh 

I'm honestly not worked up about the backup QB. If we get into another situation where Jimmy goes down for a large chunk of the season, it's going to be another wash anyways. I get that if we had someone better we may have snuck into the playoffs, but it likely wouldn't have amounted to much. 

The only thing that's going to move the needle for me, in terms of QB, is if we manage to snag either Wilson, Field, or maybe Lance. Anything outside of that isn't all that interesting. 

I'm also not of the belief that we're getting Watson, so I'm just not that invested in this particular rumor-merry-go-round. 

I expect Jimmy to be our starter for the full season. 

Edited by NinerNation21

Just now, NinerNation21 said:

Don't know much about him. Anyone know which WR position he lines up at the most? 

Probably all of them for AZ given their propensity for using 4wr, but I see him on far out on highlights. I really do think that we'd use him similarly. Very comparable athletic profiles, though I see no explosion at all with him. 

3 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Don't know much about him. Anyone know which WR position he lines up at the most? 

Good question. He hasn't played much offense, so I have no idea. I think he was more of a special teams demon for them. Will be interesting to see how much, if any, guaranteed money he got.

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Probably all of them for AZ given their propensity for using 4wr, but I see him on far out on highlights. I really do think that we'd use him similarly. Very comparable athletic profiles, though I see no explosion at all with him. 

Game speed is obviously different, but he ran a 4.45 at his pro day at 203 (although he is apparently closer to 220 now) for what it's worth.