2021 Off-season FO / Coaching / Saleh to the Jets - Page 9

N4L

1 hour ago, struby3 said:

Why is everybody crapping on Dontae Johnson? He played pretty well last year in his limited role. Sure, I don't want him to start or anything, but he is solid depth. Also a core STer.

For me its mostly because after all these year he has been here you know what he is and that simply isn't a guy i would want to have on the roster. Sign someone elses Johnson and see if your coaches can bring something else out of them. Its like resigning Mullens or Beathard. You know what you get from those guys and its nothing really inspiring where a new guy at least brings a little of that unknown. Then can be even worse like that one guy we played this year or you might find something equal or if you strike gold you might even find a guy that is usefull.

10 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

For me its mostly because after all these year he has been here you know what he is and that simply isn't a guy i would want to have on the roster. Sign someone elses Johnson and see if your coaches can bring something else out of them. Its like resigning Mullens or Beathard. You know what you get from those guys and its nothing really inspiring where a new guy at least brings a little of that unknown. Then can be even worse like that one guy we played this year or you might find something equal or if you strike gold you might even find a guy that is usefull.

Yeah, but many times it is beneficial to have someone who knows the system and performs well when called upon. He has no upside, but odds are he isn't going to F up too badly. Maybe one of those new guys will beat him out in camp. It's unlikely he got much guaranteed money. Or maybe one of those new guys will play like Brian Allen and we'll all regret not going with the safer option.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Huge sigh of relief! The CB position is fully taken care of now. Another position of need out of the way! 

I must admit, in his rookie year I remember telling friends of mine how great he was going to be and we stole him. I was sure he was going to be a perennial pro bowler. I think I was mistaken. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, struby3 said:

Yeah, but many times it is beneficial to have someone who knows the system and performs well when called upon. He has no upside, but odds are he isn't going to F up too badly. Maybe one of those new guys will beat him out in camp. It's unlikely he got much guaranteed money. Or maybe one of those new guys will play like Brian Allen and we'll all regret not going with the safer option.

But i that the type of guy you sign at this point in the offseason? To me that is the guy you add in august when you have some injuries and don't want to coach a guy up fully for him to be usefull. Just a uninspiring signing overall and yeah it won't hurt us much but it just doesn't make your team better.

5 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

I think Jimmie Ward.  

Arik Armstead and Raheem Mostert too.

8 hours ago, straighthate said:

I must admit, in his rookie year I remember telling friends of mine how great he was going to be and we stole him. I was sure he was going to be a perennial pro bowler. I think I was mistaken. 

He really did have a great rookie season, especially in the last few games. I think he did well in the preseason too. 

He's got good length and seems to have good fundamentals as far as technique goes. 

I don't think he's very quick twitch as an athlete and his anticipation was poor. He honestly wasn't that bad when he played last year. I think he's a guy who benefitted from sherm. They honestly have similar builds but Sherman has ungodly anticipation and understanding of football (and the world, if we are being honest). So maybe he's figured it out a little bit 

He's fine for a back of the roster emergency corner / special teamer. He's going to be active for a lot of games next year I bet. 

He's a lot older now. He played for a few other teams and came back. He's becoming a veteran in some ways. 

The ceiling isn't as high as I thought it was after his rookie season, but I'm rooting for the guy and am willing to see him get a shot, especially in the preseason. Really can't think of a downside in this 

Holy **** am I excited for the preseason next year

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Justone2 said:

Arik Armstead and Raheem Mostert too.

Nah, Harbs was gone after the 2014 season. Armstead and Mostert weren't 49ers yet. I'm guessing you might be counting Trent Baalke's involvement though, which I guess is fair. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

1 minute ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Nah, Harbs was gone after the 2014 season. Armstead and Mostert weren't 49ers yet. I'm guessing you might be counting Trent Baalke's involvement though, which I guess is fair. 

Yeah i thought it was the Baalke era. But yeah even then its crazy how much turnover this roster has had and how quick we where able to even get to the SB.

There is however one other guy currently on the roster from that era. The great Josh Johnson.

On 3/17/2021 at 12:02 PM, Broncofan said:

Carolina would be mega-aggressive.  The issue is whether Watson would agree to go there.   The perception is CAR wouldn't be as close to contending as DEN/SF would be if they had to trade their young defenders.   Hard to argue there.  

If the Lombardi report is true (and keep in mind MIA signing Brissett really points to their belief in Tua or a rookie - you don't do that if you are targeting Watson as plan A), and NYJ/MIA are out, then yeah, DEN/CAR are neck & neck, and SF isn't far behind.  Those would be the 3 most likely destinations if Watson is dead set against NYJ, and MIA is throwing their chips in with Tua.

Super mega-aggressive in on Watson.

On 3/16/2021 at 11:23 PM, GW21 said:

Lol google Tony Buzbee. Dude looks like your stereotypical scum bag lawyer that you’d see in a movie or something.

If you guys haven't seen his interview from yesterday check it out on youtube. Buzbee himself lied several times during it.