2021 Off-season FO / Coaching / Saleh to the Jets - Page 9

N4L

1 minute ago, rudyZ said:

If you asked me if I'd trade Bosa for two first rounders, I'd say no without hesitation. So, to me, Bosa is worth way more than two firsts. Giving away Bosa and three first rounders is a big no-no for me, even if Watson is as franchise as franchise QBs come. If you told me Bosa and two seconds for Watson, I'd consider that fair value. But 3 firsts, a second, and three players+? There's just no way. We're more likely to win a superbowl with Bosa and Jimmy G than we are with Watson and a D in reconstruction, in my opinion.

Also, the Texans are in a corner. I seriously believe they're not going to get optimal compensation for Watson.

So let's take the allegations out of this for a second or let's assume he is fully cleared and it isn't an issue.

Okay, so if you say Bosa is worth more than two firsts (I don't know if this is the case considering his injury history), then you are essentially saying the trade is two first rounders and three seconds for Watson. Simply put, that is not going to get it done. 

The difference between say the 12th pick and the 2nd pick is an additional first rounder. The Jets can just go both first rounders in 2021 plus a first rounder in 2022 and they would beat the Niners package. The Panthers can go three first rounders plus two second rounders and they beat the package. The Dolphins can throw in Tua plus a similar package to the Jets and beat the Niners package.

This is going to be an arms race for a caliber of QB at this age that is pretty much never made available. At the very LEAST, you are going to have to throw in two first rounders plus Bosa to have a chance to get Watson.

And the defense just finished top 6 without Bosa last season. The defense isn't falling off a cliff if we lose him. Bosa is what takes the defense to another level but there is still a whole a lot of talent there where they will likely finish in the top 10 again without him. I'd take my chances in finding another stud edge rusher than finding a franchise QB through the draft. 

• Like 1

The no-trade clause evens out the field. If Watson wants to be traded to only one team, then we're not competing with the Jets or the Panthers. It's not a bidding war. It's only a matter of agreeing to a value with the Texans. So the question is, how patient are we? The longer we can wait, the more they're desperate to trade him, the lesser his value. But if WE are desperate to get him in the building and work on the playbook, etc., then WE are going to have to pay more to convince them. But, we have Jimmy. Are we desperate? Would Kyle be confident he could get him to speed if we got him later in the process?

As for Bosa's value... it's easily two first rounders, for me, even coming back from an ACL. I'm sure there's several GMs who wouldn't even hesitate to pull the trigger, knowing he's still under a rookie contract for 3 years, and that he can easily be a gamechanger when he's healthy. Sure, we had a good defense even without him in some very important metrics. But we didn't get as many sacks as we did in 2019, we didn't get as many turnovers as in 2019, and that's the difference between a good defense that can 3 and out teams repeatedly and an elite defense that literally flips the field for you. So, forget Watson, and just imagine a team is calling for Bosa, what is your price? If you trade him for less than two firsts, I'd really hate that.

1 minute ago, rudyZ said:

The no-trade clause evens out the field. If Watson wants to be traded to only one team, then we're not competing with the Jets or the Panthers. It's not a bidding war. It's only a matter of agreeing to a value with the Texans. So the question is, how patient are we? The longer we can wait, the more they're desperate to trade him, the lesser his value. But if WE are desperate to get him in the building and work on the playbook, etc., then WE are going to have to pay more to convince them. But, we have Jimmy. Are we desperate? Would Kyle be confident he could get him to speed if we got him later in the process?

As for Bosa's value... it's easily two first rounders, for me, even coming back from an ACL. I'm sure there's several GMs who wouldn't even hesitate to pull the trigger, knowing he's still under a rookie contract for 3 years, and that he can easily be a gamechanger when he's healthy. Sure, we had a good defense even without him in some very important metrics. But we didn't get as many sacks as we did in 2019, we didn't get as many turnovers as in 2019, and that's the difference between a good defense that can 3 and out teams repeatedly and an elite defense that literally flips the field for you. So, forget Watson, and just imagine a team is calling for Bosa, what is your price? If you trade him for less than two firsts, I'd really hate that.

I didn't say Bosa's value wasn't two first rounders, just not sure how much more it is than that. He's been hurt two of the last three years and was hurt in HS as well.

The thing is, the Niners aren't the only team on his wishlist. If it was just the Niners or bust, then sure but that is not the case. And if the Texans tell him either he has to stay or they trade him to Carolina, I doubt he turns that down. Watson has leverage with the no trade clause but I don't think he's going to just say he only wants to come to the Niners.

And if the Texans hold on to Watson past the draft, they lose value in terms of getting immediate draft capital, but they won't lose a whole a lot of value. If they hold on to him for the entire season and trade him next offseason? Then his value may be even more if the incoming QB class is not good. Then new teams emerge as candidates for Watson's services and some teams become even more desperate to get him.

Yeah, I mean Bosa's value is undeniable. But if you have a top 5-6 defense to go along with a top 2-3 offense, I would take that all day. And make no mistake, with Watson, this will be a top 2-3 offense with all the weapons and Shanny as the play caller. It is very hard to have dominant defenses more than a year at a time. The Rams were dominant last season defensively but I bet they will have a drop off to being very good, just not great next year. That's just how it typically goes. 

I'm guessing he has some STs value? 

Still would like to kick the tires on Hooker but doubt he will be interested here. 

We badly need another cornerback though, even if we take one in the draft. Betting on Verrett to be healthy two years in a row is a huge risk and there's not much behind him. Some nice value corners still available. 

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm guessing he has some STs value? 

Still would like to kick the tires on Hooker but doubt he will be interested here. 

We badly need another cornerback though, even if we take one in the draft. Betting on Verrett to be healthy two years in a row is a huge risk and there's not much behind him. Some nice value corners still available. 

Yep. He's also been okay when forced to play defense. He stays relatively healthy.

Agree about corner though. That would be my odds on favorite to be the first pick as it currently stands

12 hours ago, dan77733 said:

If im the 49ers, I would only give up draft picks. I would not give up any young players especially those under the rookie contract. The only players I wouldn't mind seeing trade along with the draft picks would be Garoppolo and Dee Ford. 

Watson FTW!!!!!!!

Our picks aren't good enough to get Watson with only picks, to be honest. 

Reports were that Houston also wanted players, though I'm not sure how reliable that was. You also can't trade Dee Ford as it hurts the team more than helps it. 

1 hour ago, rudyZ said:

We're more likely to win a superbowl with Bosa and Jimmy G than we are with Watson and a D in reconstruction, in my opinion.

A single edge player doesn't move the needle enough to make up the gap between those two quarterbacks in my opinion. Not even close. If you kept last years roster with the injuries but put Watson in at QB, I think this team still has a reasonable shot at the super bowl.

It's so much easier to scheme around the pass rush for a DC. Saleh stayed married to his Cover 3 in his first few years here, but we saw last year the changes he made to that in order to make the defense competent. New England and Baltimore are good examples of teams that work around this. Baltimore has been like the king of turning low rent edge players into super studs. 

With the morass that Watson is bogged down in, I doubt he gets traded soon. Also, if any of that is true, I don't want him (it's up to 22 now! 😲 ). 

I think it more realistic at this point that we draft a QB. Could be trade up or down or all around. However, no one is getting Mac Jones at the bottom of the 1st. The lowest he could go, IMO, is 12. To us or someone else, but Jones will go quickly and perhaps before Lance and Fields.