2021 Off-season FO / Coaching / Saleh to the Jets - Page 9

N4L

9 minutes ago, N4L said:

we had the money for hyder. We need edge depth if nothing else. what gives? 

I think that they just chose Ekubam over Hyder. Honestly, I don't think it was the wrong call. I Love Hyder, but he's an SDE / 5t / 3t type with an extensive injury history, higher age and price tag. We needed more speed on the end. I don't view Ekubam as a traditional DE edge bender, but in a wide 9 with his athleticism released, I could see it (I think in a vacuum I'd probably view him more in a blitzing SAM role) 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

Feel like that should be a rookie. 

Also, this is not accounting for Dee (rightfully so), but apparently both the team and Ford have hopes for his return this year. 

Would say Ebukam in that empty Bravo spot and Dee in the Turbo(assuming health). Then we still have guys like Street under contract who i believe was kinda Armsteads back-up at a run stopping DE. Don't think chance is high we go Edge early.

Just now, Justone2 said:

Would say Ebukam in that empty Bravo spot and Dee in the Turbo(assuming health). Then we still have guys like Street under contract who i believe was kinda Armsteads back-up at a run stopping DE. Don't think chance is high we go Edge early.

Agreed, which is perfect for this draft. Give me an edge in round 4 and I think that's likely to be a sweet spot for me. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

Real talk though....love the way we have opened this season, handled free agency, etc. 

I'd love to have the 1st round rookie QB to be paired with Jimmy for a year, and I'd love to add a one more CB through FA

This has been on my wish list all offseason. Really hoping we make it happen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GW21 said:

This has been on my wish list all offseason. Really hoping we make it happen.

I'm on board. My biggest thing with Jimmy was not to restructure him. We haven't done that. It keeps options open. Now we are in a legit spot to have a QB to draft, and we can rehab his value. If we have to give up a first next year to move up this year, and we can then trade Jimmy for a first next year after rehabs his value (and I think he will because the team is solid and he's a competent QB), it's a great win. 

• Like 2

Imagine getting adequate value out of a QB to the point you could keep extremely valuable, veteran players at very important positions of need.

Keeping garoppolo this year is going to cost us 25m in cap space this year. That space also would have rolled over next year, and literally could have gone to warner and 1-2 other guys. We arent going to restructure jimmy, we are just going to eat the 25m this year to get crap value from those dollars. 

We are back to having no legitimate DE depth. Why do we continue to ignore the DE position? 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I'm on board. My biggest thing with Jimmy was not to restructure him. We haven't done that. It keeps options open. Now we are in a legit spot to have a QB to draft, and we can rehab his value. If we have to give up a first next year to move up this year, and we can then trade Jimmy for a first next year after rehabs his value (and I think he will because the team is solid and he's a competent QB), it's a great win. 

It's really a perfect situation. Shanny's offense is complex and giving a rookie an entire year to learn the system and then being able to dump 20+M off our cap next offseason while possibly picking up a fairly high pick would set us up very well long term. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think that they just chose Ekubam over Hyder. Honestly, I don't think it was the wrong call. I Love Hyder, but he's an SDE / 5t / 3t type with an extensive injury history, higher age and price tag. We needed more speed on the end. I don't view Ekubam as a traditional DE edge bender, but in a wide 9 with his athleticism released, I could see it (I think in a vacuum I'd probably view him more in a blitzing SAM role) 

https://twitter.com/Curtis_Crabtree/status/1374501065937186820

Yeeeaaaahhhh, we could have afforded both