2021 Off-season FO / Coaching / Saleh to the Jets - Page 9

N4L

18 minutes ago, N4L said:

Imagine getting adequate value out of a QB to the point you could keep extremely valuable, veteran players at very important positions of need.

Keeping garoppolo this year is going to cost us 25m in cap space this year. That space also would have rolled over next year, and literally could have gone to warner and 1-2 other guys. We arent going to restructure jimmy, we are just going to eat the 25m this year to get crap value from those dollars. 

We are back to having no legitimate DE depth. Why do we continue to ignore the DE position? 

I'm not going to be too upset about losing out on Hyder. I really think that they signed Ebukam for that reason. Hyder is exactly how you should utilize free agency. Signed on a near vet min one year deal with a previous history of succeeding, having a great year, and then you cut bait because it's unlikely he'll match what he did in that year and he'll probably cost more to do it. Then we likely will get a comp pick on top of it. Then you take the money from him and put it toward another player that you're trying to get at a value. I have no problems with this at all given Hyder's age, injury history, role. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Forge said:

Boom, this is why we didn't need Hyder back. 

I like getting Willis back. He's a nice low-cost depth guy. But, even with his signing, he's not a lock and I still see 2-3 open spots on the DL. 

Locks: Bosa, Kinlaw, Armstead, Ebukam, Jones, Kerr, Givens, and Ford (can't cut him but can stash on IR if needed).

Bubble: Street, Willis, Daniels, and Barrett

We could still sign someone like Kerrigan, Aldon, Vernon, or Griffen and also draft and EDGE too. We have the space to be aggressive here. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Forge said:

It's not a question of affording both....I think that they just wanted to go in another direction. 

True. I liked Hyder becsuse of his versatility. But if we're being honest, Bosa pairs much better with Ebukam than Hyder. I really was looking at Hyder to replace Blair in that 3rd DE role primarily. But if they like Willis in that regard or are going to draft comp for that role, I can see them viewing Hyder as too expensive. 

Just now, 757-NINER said:

True. I liked Hyder becsuse of his versatility. But if we're being honest, Bosa pairs much better with Ebukam than Hyder. I really was looking at Hyder to replace Blair in that 3rd DE role primarily. But if they like Willis in that regard or are going to draft comp for that role, I can see them viewing Hyder as too expensive. 

I see a contract that cheap that we didn't pay for and my first thought is that the team just wasn't into the player. It's the same thing when we heard about what Trubisky signed for.

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I see a contract that cheap that we didn't pay for and my first thought is that the team just wasn't into the player. It's the same thing when we heard about what Trubisky signed for.

It is cheap. But if I had to choose between spending 3 mil a year on a quality CB over a 3rd DE, I'm going choose the CB given our current roster construction.

And to that I will say that if we don't sign a good vet CB soon here, I will be sorely disappointed. I will be happy with free agency overall but I'll feel like we could have really knocked it out of the park w/another quality CB.

43 minutes ago, N4L said:

https://twitter.com/Curtis_Crabtree/status/1374501065937186820

Yeeeaaaahhhh, we could have afforded both

This had nothing to do with being able to afford Hyder. Who is to say he wanted to return even if the Niners offered up the same deal? Maybe the Niners didn't want him back on that type of deal. Maybe they plan on addressing the last spot on the edge in the draft? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Forge said:

lol that's exactly where I am, so I feel your pain. Got way out of shape when the settling down started. Decided I had enough of that and started getting back into it. So much easier when you're younger and single and you just have time to do it all.  I started running back up not too long ago and try to get in about 4-8 miles per day. The yoga has been very hit or miss (mainly because I've been doing other workouts which is a habit I need to break) unfortunately. I figure it'll still be the end of the year before I'm back into a really good rotation and feeling really good. 

Why can't I help imagining Chief Wiggum doing yoga... which is almost what I'd look like doing yoga.

13 hours ago, Forge said:

I think that they just chose Ekubam over Hyder. Honestly, I don't think it was the wrong call. I Love Hyder, but he's an SDE / 5t / 3t type with an extensive injury history, higher age and price tag. We needed more speed on the end. I don't view Ekubam as a traditional DE edge bender, but in a wide 9 with his athleticism released, I could see it (I think in a vacuum I'd probably view him more in a blitzing SAM role) 

Absolutely this! His quickness is likely what got him the nod over Hyder...not to mention cheaper. 

I was initially nervous about the Wide 9, but it hasn't hurt us too much and seems to work well. 

43 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Absolutely this! His quickness is likely what got him the nod over Hyder...not to mention cheaper. 

I was initially nervous about the Wide 9, but it hasn't hurt us too much and seems to work well. 

I agree with this. I think we all saw how great it was to have speed rusher come screaming off the edge opposite Bosa in 2019. Ebukam was one of the few true speed rushers to get, so we pulled the trigger early.