2021 Off-season FO / Coaching / Saleh to the Jets - Page 9

N4L

Just now, John232 said:

I don't hate it. If it's true. They probably feel they can make that offer given the amount of compensatory picks we will receive not just from coaches, but from players too..in addition to what we get for Jimmy. I think a Colts first+third would beat it, but may not. 

It's a really interesting play by the 9ers if that is ultimately what ends up doing. As I said on the main thread, those 4 picks basically match up value wise to the #12 pick.

So then it becomes about what our goal is. Is #12 off the table because we want to draft there? Over the last decade, you have a pretty damn good shot of getting a complete and total stud or completely whiff lol. So is the goal to then move down, or actually pick at 12? I'd love to do something like move from 12 to 25 and pick up a 3 this year and 2 next year or something. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John232 said:

Anyways, just saw confirmation per Sterling Bennett on twitter. Said it's a done deal..he's a producer for local radio..so take it with a huge grain of salt. 

I saw his tweet as well. If we release Jimmy now, that's just stupid. I honestly can't believe that the Ravens were able to get a 4th for Flacco and nobody would bite on Jimmy for like a 6th. We have until the start of hte league year before we have to move on...no reason to release Jimmy prematurely. 

• Like 1

Just now, Chrissooner49er said:

I would be more than okay with this. Excited, even. 

Also, what are the odds we trade down from 12 if we get Stafford? I think we would in order to recoup picks....

I'd be alright with it too. The delta between our two 3rds next season is likely to be small. I would expect us to be picking toward the back end of the round, so that Saleh comp isn't going to be much different than our regular 3rd. 

As for trading down this year, I guess it's possible. I wouldn't necessarily trade down just for the picks. If there's a guy I really like at #12, I'm not passing on him just for the extra picks. Now, if my guy(s) are gone at #12, definitely a trade down.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I saw his tweet as well. If we release Jimmy now, that's just stupid. I honestly can't believe that the Ravens were able to get a 4th for Flacco and nobody would bite on Jimmy for like a 6th. We have until the start of hte league year before we have to move on...no reason to release Jimmy prematurely. 

Patience should definitely be the call here...at least until it's time to make an offer to Williams. This move would make keeping him easier, right? Stafford needs good blind side protection. 

Edited by Chrissooner49er

Just now, NinerNation21 said:

As for trading down this year, I guess it's possible. I wouldn't necessarily trade down just for the picks. If there's a guy I really like at #12, I'm not passing on him just for the extra picks. Now, if my guy(s) are gone at #12, definitely a trade down.

The thing for me is...who's the guy? I'm struggling a lot with that.

1 minute ago, Forge said:

It's a really interesting play by the 9ers if that is ultimately what ends up doing. As I said on the main thread, those 4 picks basically match up value wise to the #12 pick.

So then it becomes about what our goal is. Is #12 off the table because we want to draft there? Over the last decade, you have a pretty damn good shot of getting a complete and total stud or completely whiff lol. So is the goal to then move down, or actually pick at 12? I'd love to do something like move from 12 to 25 and pick up a 3 this year and 2 next year or something. 

I've abandoned hope on figuring out how this FO thinks. Personally, I think they aim to trade back and pick someone who becomes an eventual replacement for a player at an aging position or injured position. Corner/Tackle/IOL/Edge. Someone really good always drops into the teens anyways, just because of weird stuff. Like Lamb last year. They could trade back and easily make back most of the picks. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

He's just straight up wrong. Unless their is a period where money has to be allotted to Jimmy by a certain time, there's literally no reason or incentive to release him. SOMEONE will need a QB at some point by end of draft. They can 100% get a third for him and I still think a team could get desperate and give up more than that. Absolutely stupid to think he holds 0 value. 

• Like 1

Just now, John232 said:

For me, Surtain, Waddle, Paye would probably give me serious reasons to hold.  Might even throw Fairley in there. 

I want to see Surtain time. 

Waddle is overkill on the receiver front I think...though I'd love to have him in the return game. Paye is the guy I'm really intrigued by, tbh...though if I feel comfortable with Rousseau I may see if I can move down to 18-19. Farley bothers me from an injury standpoint. Talent is clearly there. I think he's the best corner in the class. But he's also had an ACL already and missed games with a bad back. Bad backs *really* concern me. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Patience is should definitely be the call here...at least until it's time to make an offer to Williams. This move would make keeping him easier, right? Stafford needs good blind side protection. 

I've been watching Stafford highlights this morning and a few things stood out to me:

• He's more mobile than I thought and his pocket awareness is pretty good. I'd say he's definitely better than Jimmy in these two categories, which will help the o-line a lot. Some of the sacks Jimmy took last year probably wouldn't be sacks with Stafford.
  • I love the multiple arm slots. This, combined with him improvising leads to some chunky plays. Jimmy is pretty good in a structured setting, but leaves some to be desired when the play breaks down. Stafford seems to excel in these situations.
  • The arm strength can be eye-popping, but the touch throws is what I find impressive. Some deep-ball gun slingers struggle with the underneath timing stuff, Stafford actually looks pretty good with it. He would certainly open up new concepts of the playbook.    

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

The thing for me is...who's the guy? I'm struggling a lot with that.

Oh, for sure. I've been struggling with that as well. I like Surtain, but he's heavy man and light zone. Kind of opposite of our scheme. But obviously, this could change this year. Farley is straight up man all the way, which seems too extreme for our tendencies. 

I like Paye, but he's billed as more of a base-down DE who is better against the run than pass rushing. Not really what we need. We need a 3rd down EDGE with speed (Hamilcar Rashed). 

I'm liking Jaycee Horn more and more as he seems tailor-made for our coverage scheme, but we could trade down for him possibly. 

I agree with you, Forge. It's hard to pinpoint "the guy" at #12, which makes trading down more attractive. My point is that I wouldn't trade down just for the sake of stocking picks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I want to see Surtain time. 

Waddle is overkill on the receiver front I think...though I'd love to have him in the return game. Paye is the guy I'm really intrigued by, tbh...though if I feel comfortable with Rousseau I may see if I can move down to 18-19. Farley bothers me from an injury standpoint. Talent is clearly there. I think he's the best corner in the class. But he's also had an ACL already and missed games with a bad back. Bad backs *really* concern me. 

I think Waddle is my WR1 right now, but I get why he's most peoples third. I just think he's the closest thing to Tyreek Hill that we're going to see..besides Hill. And i'm really not sold on our receiver depth behind Bourne..and he's a FA..not to mention health issues. 

The crazy thing about Surtain AND Fairely is there's potential for both of these guys to drop anyways. It's such a deep class at WR, QB and OL that I could see those position groups getting cleaned out by the 49ers pick. 

Paye is the guy least likely to b e there by the early 20's. He's going top 14. Whereas Rosseau seems like the guy most likely to drop to us in a trade back scenario. Sat out the year. Wasn't elite as a prospect but had the tools. 

Idk, this is always a fun game to play this time a year.