2021 Off-season FO / Coaching / Saleh to the Jets - Page 9

N4L

3 minutes ago, John232 said:

I'm surprised people are so down on Stafford. The guy has had his whole career covered in Lion **** and he still puts up consistently top 10 numbers. Just kind of nuts. I think we're going to make a SB by 2022 with him. 

I wouldn't go that far on the numbers thing. I was just looking at his career stats and I came away less than impressed with them. I thought they'd be much better. He's only thrown more than 30 TD's twice in his career. Granted, he's had a crap team around him for his entire career, but people talk about QB's elevating their team around them and it's hard to make that case with Stafford. 

I think Stafford in our offense would be a top-5 QB. It's just looking at his numbers, they're kind of pedestrian in some years with today's NFL. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, John232 said:

I'm surprised people are so down on Stafford. The guy has had his whole career covered in Lion **** and he still puts up consistently top 10 numbers. Just kind of nuts. I think we're going to make a SB by 2022 with him. 

I think the problem is that some people equate stafford with being elite because of the arm talent. I think he's largely an above average / good QB, but I don't think he's great. I think he's a big improvement over Jimmy G though as most know how I felt about Jimmy. I think that they are legitimately in different tiers. If Kyle can do what he has done with limited guys like Jimmy, Kirk, Schaub, Hoyer, etc....my expectations are big for a guy as talented as Stafford...and that's kind of independent on how I feel about Stafford. I don't need him to already be great. I think he can be an above average QB / good QB in a vacuum (I'd put him right around 10 or so most likely) and Shanny will then make his numbers / production great. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I would be more than okay with this. Excited, even. 

Also, what are the odds we trade down from 12 if we get Stafford? I think we would in order to recoup picks....

Exactly what I was thinking, we would definitely trade back and acquire more picks, Unfortunately in this draft, unlike last year, I think after pick 20, the quality drops off. Where as last year, there were first rounders falling into the second...some may say the third.

So if we trade back, I hope its around the 20 range

I'd love to snag Surtain II at 12. I'm also big on Rousseau; He had 1 year of tremendous production, albeit mostly from the interior, but he is so damn toolsy. He would definitely a boom or bust guy, but I could easily see him being a top 5 pick had he played this year and replicated his production with more from the outside. I think I remember reading that he just started playing DE his senior year in high school or something, so there is definitely room for him to grow. I would also be lying if I said Jeremiah mocking Pitts to us doesn't have me intrigued. If Devonta Smith dropped to us somehow, we have to be looking real hard at that too imo. Finally, the most unexciting option to most here probably would be if we can't retain Trent Williams it's going to be real hard for us not to take a OT at that spot. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I'd love to snag Surtain II at 12. I'm also big on Rousseau; He had 1 year of tremendous production, albeit mostly from the interior, but he is so damn toolsy. He would definitely a boom or bust guy, but I could easily see him being a top 5 pick had he played this year and replicated his production with more from the outside. I think I remember reading that he just started playing DE his senior year in high school or something, so there is definitely room for him to grow. I would also be lying if I said Jeremiah mocking Pitts to us doesn't have me intrigued. If Devonta Smith dropped to us somehow, we have to be looking real hard at that too imo. Finally, the most unexciting option to most here probably would be if we can't retain Trent Williams it's going to be real hard for us not to take a OT at that spot. 

Knowing how we utilized Kittle as a blocker at times in passing downs, I wouldn't mind Pitts.

@ForgeIf we extend Stafford to say two more years, how would his cap hits look for the next few years? Will this also allow us to re-sign Hyder and potentially Sherman? I don't think Sherman returns and they prefer to bring back Verrett, but just trying to see what kind of situation we will be in. 

52 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

@ForgeIf we extend Stafford to say two more years, how would his cap hits look for the next few years? Will this also allow us to re-sign Hyder and potentially Sherman? I don't think Sherman returns and they prefer to bring back Verrett, but just trying to see what kind of situation we will be in. 

So I've been thinking about this and I feel like there's a good chance that we wouldn't convert the entire salary to SB. I do think that we will restructure a portion of it to free up some money, likely give him a 3 year extension (it may be 2 year extension with a dummy  year on the end), but I feel like itll be something more like 10 million or something as opposed to the full amount. I could be wrong though. If we convert 10 million, that would make his cap hit this year about 12, free up another 8 in space. Next year would be 25 I believe, and then the years after that would be dependent on what his base is (I'd guess in the 30-35 range?)

If we free up the full amount, he's going to have some pretty decent sized hits in the future years, and we may want to keep those down for flexibility purposes. But we could take something  like 18 million, convert it to bonus which would make his hit this year about 5.6 million, would make next year 27 or so, and then the future years. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

So I've been thinking about this and I feel like there's a good chance that we wouldn't convert the entire salary to SB. I do think that we will restructure a portion of it to free up some money, likely give him a 3 year extension (it may be 2 year extension with a dummy  year on the end), but I feel like itll be something more like 10 million or something as opposed to the full amount. I could be wrong though. If we convert 10 million, that would make his cap hit this year about 12, free up another 8 in space. Next year would be 25 I believe, and then the years after that would be dependent on what his base is (I'd guess in the 30-35 range?)

If we free up the full amount, he's going to have some pretty decent sized hits in the future years, and we may want to keep those down for flexibility purposes. But we could take something  like 18 million, convert it to bonus which would make his hit this year about 5.6 million, would make next year 27 or so, and then the future years. 

Yeah, I think that is the route to go. This way the team has flexibility in three years to get rid of his contract if need be.

His cap hits in the future years are not bad at all. Will be well below 15% of the cap. What I'm curious about is if he wants to get a significantly higher deal to match the recent QBs deals? If so, that could be an issue.