2021 Off-season FO / Coaching / Saleh to the Jets - Page 9

N4L

22 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Whoa, when did this become a thing? I had no idea this could happen.

It passed this year as part of the Rooney rule. Basically if someone from a minority has been under contract for two years and gets hired as a GM or HC the team losing him will be rewarded with 2 third round compensation picks. If you lose two guys to a GM or HC position you get one extra pick in the third year.

I hope Mayhew gets hired next off-season so that we get four thirds because I'm greedy like that 

Pretty great timing on our part for this rule. We lose Saleh last year we get nothing. Lose him this year get two 3rds. 

I also like that his replacement is black, in the event Ryans impresses and gets hired that's another two 3rds 

This is why I don't get why we just never elevated Peters to GM and let him be the final decision maker on along with Shanahan and then give Lynch another position. Lynch has value with his calming demeanor and being able to look at things at a different perspective than Shanny and he is well spoken. However, Peters clearly seems like the one handling the scouting and coming up with the late round gems. This could be a HUGE loss. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

This is why I don't get why we just never elevated Peters to GM and let him be the final decision maker on along with Shanahan and then give Lynch another position. Lynch has value with his calming demeanor and being able to look at things at a different perspective than Shanny and he is well spoken. However, Peters clearly seems like the one handling the scouting and coming up with the late round gems. This could be a HUGE loss. 

Agreed. Would really like to see a move like Denver made 'Promoting' Elway with Lynch so we could move Peters into our GM position. Panthers might ruin that for us though. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I think it's more complicated than that. I think Shanny has a huge hand in personnel decisions. That dynamic works with Lynch who is ostensibly a marketing face and lynch knows it. After hiring Peters and Mayhew, I don't think anyone thought for a second that Lynch was doing any sort of heavy lifting. I think that it becomes a little different when Peters steps into that GM role. What if Peters wants to call his own shots? Make his own choices on personnel? What if it upsets the dynamic between the FO and HC because they can't find common ground? 

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think it's more complicated than that. I think Shanny has a huge hand in personnel decisions. That dynamic works with Lynch who is ostensibly a marketing face and lynch knows it. After hiring Peters and Mayhew, I don't think anyone thought for a second that Lynch was doing any sort of heavy lifting. I think that it becomes a little different when Peters steps into that GM role. What if Peters wants to call his own shots? Make his own choices on personnel? What if it upsets the dynamic between the FO and HC because they can't find common ground? 

Shanahan will always have a say in decisions and I absolutely think he has a huge say in early picks, but it is all Peters and the scouting staff in the mid to late picks. Losing Peters means you are relying on Mayhew and his scouting department (Let's see how many scouts Peters takes with him in Carolina). Maybe Peters just never wanted to stay here long-term where he would have to battle with Shanny for personnel decisions but if you make him the GM and give him a big enough say, I'm not sure he would leave. Ruhle is going to have a big say in Carolina as well. This is why you pretty much have to go the package route. Like a HC and GM coming in together or else the one who was there earlier will always have the upper hand. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Shanahan will always have a say in decisions and I absolutely think he has a huge say in early picks, but it is all Peters and the scouting staff in the mid to late picks. Losing Peters means you are relying on Mayhew and his scouting department (Let's see how many scouts Peters takes with him in Carolina). Maybe Peters just never wanted to stay here long-term where he would have to battle with Shanny for personnel decisions but if you make him the GM and give him a big enough say, I'm not sure he would leave. Ruhle is going to have a big say in Carolina as well. This is why you pretty much have to go the package route. Like a HC and GM coming in together or else the one who was there earlier will always have the upper hand. 

That's why I think it's more complicated than just popping lynch up to an OPs role and giving Peters the GM. There's a balance there that we don't know enough about. 

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

Sounds like a very sound explanation. Those VP-roles are really big when you have a guy like Lynch who is more of the face of the FO than the man leading the day to day. Doesn't mean he has no influence but it i feel its way more as a middle man and him having way more contacts than a guy like Peters would have. Compared to HC there is also way more different backgrounds where GM's come from and they all have different backgrounds and expertises. From Salarycapguys like Mickey Loomis to guys that come from more of a pro or college scouting background. There is no GM that handles every bit from pro-scouting to college scouting to Salary cap/contract management. For the last part we have Paraag who is a magician at times. And if i remember correctly Mayhew is the on responsible for the pro side with Peters more on the college side. 

Doesn't make it less painfull to lose a guy like Peters but it is the way it goes and in the end its the same as losing a guy like Saleh or Lafleur/McDaniel. If you are succesfull you will lose guys to promotions and its all about how you replace them and most important not holding on to guys if they aren't pulling their weight.  Also i feel our coaching staff has more input on the draft then say it had under Baalke. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Forge said:

That's why I think it's more complicated than just popping lynch up to an OPs role and giving Peters the GM. There's a balance there that we don't know enough about. 

Yeah, but the thing is did the team even present Peters with this opportunity? Doesn't seem like they want to move Lynch's position tag, and that's their right. But I just think he will butt heads with Ruhle in Carolina as well since it is essentially Ruhle making this hire. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah, but the thing is did the team even present Peters with this opportunity? Doesn't seem like they want to move Lynch's position tag, and that's their right. But I just think he will butt heads with Ruhle in Carolina as well since it is essentially Ruhle making this hire. 

Honestly...I really hope that we would have. I think it's silly not to. Lynch is born and bred for that Ops role. Do we even have a president of Ops? I know that Paraag is a VP of ops, but i don't know that we actually have a president (would assume that it's jed by default?) 

Just now, Forge said:

Honestly...I really hope that we would have. I think it's silly not to. Lynch is born and bred for that Ops role. Do we even have a president of Ops? I know that Paraag is a VP of ops, but i don't know that we actually have a president (would assume that it's jed by default?) 

I think that probably gets leaked if it happened. But I remember reading either Maiocco's or Barrows' mailbag a few months ago and one of them said they doubt Peters would get elevated to GM here. Just doesn't seem like something that was ever truly possible. 

Could also be we didn't do that with Peters because Mayhew and he both where both seen as just as important and they didn't want to promote one to where the other could see it as being degradated. We all love Peters because he has this Wonderkid aura and a great background with the Patriots and Broncos and no doubt our late round picks/udfa's have been great with this regime. But i don't think you can put that all on Peters because in the end the groundwork is done by the scouts(no idea how many came with Peters or will go with Peters) and our coaches seem to have some real input in the draft from what i have heard and read. I think especially the last part is huge.

• Like 2