2021 Off-season FO / Coaching / Saleh to the Jets - Page 9

N4L

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Jimmy also had the fewest number of throw aways in 2019 across the league, while Matt Ryan, Tom Brady and Rodgers led the league. 

He never throws it away and that's a problem...Doesn't check it down much either, two things he needs to work on since he's never going to be one of the most mobile QBs in the league. 

1 hour ago, N4L said:

The NFL is a what have you done for me lately, and his 2020 season was piss poor. Lets not gloss over how bad it was. It was baaaad

I wrote a long post in NFL general about my frustrations with him this year.

This is the main source of my frustration here:

"I know that any coach who watched the film in 2020 would be able to tell him that his footwork was the root of a lot of his issues. He had bad footwork at times in 2019 as well, but was coming off the ACL so I was willing to give him a chance to improve upon it thinking that he could really attack it now that he wasn't rehabbing his knee. So the fact that he made zero progress during the season, and SIGNIFICANTLY regressed from the season before, in an offseason where he was expected to do all of this work on his own, really makes me question his motivations and overall work ethic. Yeah, I said it. Dude didn't put in the work during quarantine when there literally was nothing else to do and it was painfully obvious. I just can't imagine coaches not telling him after the Superbowl "go do some foowork drills until you get it right" "

Obviously I dont know for sure what he was doing in quarantine, but the clear cut regression in his footwork (from start to finish last year mind you, so the injury is no excuse. Week 1 at home against ARI had absolutely horrendous footwork), coupled with the fact this was a seemingly obvious deficiency of his in 2019, to me, means he didnt put in the work. 

I like Jimmy, but I am not waiting around for him to magically become the guy he was in 2017 again. That is ancient history at this point. So like others have said, giving him 1 more year while also improving the QB room as a whole, is an acceptable outcome of this whole thing.

Personally, I would just as soon ride with a rookie. Lets save the $$$ we would pay him, because honestly 2020 Jimmy isnt worth 25m. 2019 Jimmy is, but only barely. He had some nice games, but some other bad ones where we blew teams out and didnt need him, which is fine, but we cant expect that to happen all the time. 

If a lot of those pop passes to Deebo would be classified as runs, Garoppolos stats would have looked worse than they do (and they dont look good as it stands). I would bet that Jimmy would have averaged less than 100 yards passing a game. 

I've said all year that Jimmy never really returned from the ACL. Last year, he was protected by a great running game and defense. But you could see he didn't throw the ball as comfortably as he did in 2017. No zip, no drive. I can't speak to the progression or regression of his footwork, but the eye test says that he doesn't drive into his throws, so he lacks velocity and accuracy. Is it because of the effort he's put into training? I don't know. Is he damaged beyond recovery, from a physical standpoint? That has been my feeling this year. He's pretty much what I want from a QB from a mental standpoint. He's smart and composed and looks like a franchise QB. But if you're limited physically, and that cuts your option in half, throwing-wise, you can't be a franchise QB. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

He never throws it away and that's a problem...Doesn't check it down much either, two things he needs to work on since he's never going to be one of the most mobile QBs in the league. 

I remember how infuriating watching Brady play against us was. We'd pressure him, and he'd throw the ball at the feet of his RB, and we could never touch him. Live to fight another down. It's like having a running game that wears down the defense. A QB you can't hit just drains the morale out of a pass rush. If a guy like Jimmy gets sacked all the time, all the opposing pass rushers are motivated and think they're going to go get some, and get that sack bonus at the end of the year. So the more you get sacked, the more opponents want to, and do, sack you. The only way Kyle found to get him to avoid sacks has been the jet sweeps and the quick slants.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

Apparently Bosa's injury was more extensive than just the ACL, but recovery is still going well and ahead of schedule, so kind of a mixed bag there. 

Possibly some damage to the PCL and/or MCL. If it absolutely had to happen, I prefer it earlier in the season so as to impact the next season as little as possible. 

When will the injury bug catch up to the rest of the league similar to how it plagues us?!

20 minutes ago, Forge said:

Apparently Bosa's injury was more extensive than just the ACL, but recovery is still going well and ahead of schedule, so kind of a mixed bag there. 

Yeah, they reported that right after his surgery.

But when is a player never not "ahead of schedule" lol. 

• Like 2

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/robert-salehs-jets-departure-caused-changes-49ers-coaching-staff

Lots of changes to the coaching staff. Some minor, some major. 

While we have an inexperienced rookie DC with Ryans, we gave him some help by hiring James Bettcher (former Cardinals & Giants DC) as a senior defensive assistant. 

Overall, despite losing a lot of guys, seems like the coaching staff is still pretty solid and ready to go. 

I didn't see anything announced with the FO changes, so i'm going to guess our structure remains largely the same - Lynch at GM, Peters at VP of Player Personnel, Ran Carthon as Director of Pro Personnel, & Ethan Waugh as Director of College Football Scouting & Football Systems

• Like 1

On 2/10/2021 at 3:16 PM, Forge said:

I actually just finished reading the article about this on Ninersnation.com. The author seemed very concerned that it could impact Bosa moving forward and cherrypicked quotes that made it seem really bad. 

While the doctor did say that it was more than a normal ACL tear, he also said that the treatments for these injuries are getting better and more effective each year and that sometimes guys come back better than pre-ACL injury because of targeted training on those muscles surrounding the ligaments.

While it seems worth keeping an eye on into Bosa's future, it does appear like it shouldn't be an issue for him this season.

UNLESS....he gets smacked with the dreaded "recovery setback" label that seems to be popping up with our players more and more lately.  

46 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I actually just finished reading the article about this on Ninersnation.com. The author seemed very concerned that it could impact Bosa moving forward and cherrypicked quotes that made it seem really bad. 

While the doctor did say that it was more than a normal ACL tear, he also said that the treatments for these injuries are getting better and more effective each year and that sometimes guys come back better than pre-ACL injury because of targeted training on those muscles surrounding the ligaments.

While it seems worth keeping an eye on into Bosa's future, it does appear like it shouldn't be an issue for him this season.

UNLESS....he gets smacked with the dreaded "recovery setback" label that seems to be popping up with our players more and more lately.  

I always feel the need to chime in on this stuff when, even though I'm not an expert, my FIL is ( head of podiatry at a very large hospital). The first thing he'd say is he doesn't have his chart or know his exact history/details of injury, so he'd state he's speculating. But Ligament injuries like that are as he put it, pretty random. They're very hard to prevent from a strength and conditioning standpoint. But the procedures have come a very, very long ways. His whole thing is as long as they have the proper time to rehab and build strength back up again, they should be fine. Long term, it will be weaker, but not to the point where anyone should worry about it being a persistent issue or something that would slow him down. He noted that this is especially true of athletes just due to the outstanding physical traits they generally have. He's worked with athletes on numerous occasions (some pretty famous ones). So I would take his word over that of someone like David Chao. 

I mean, there's no two ways about it, it's not good for Bosa or anyone, but there are far more players now coming back from it fine than players who don't. 

3 minutes ago, John232 said:

I always feel the need to chime in on this stuff when, even though I'm not an expert, my FIL is ( head of podiatry at a very large hospital). The first thing he'd say is he doesn't have his chart or know his exact history/details of injury, so he'd state he's speculating. But Ligament injuries like that are as he put it, pretty random. They're very hard to prevent from a strength and conditioning standpoint. But the procedures have come a very, very long ways. His whole thing is as long as they have the proper time to rehab and build strength back up again, they should be fine. Long term, it will be weaker, but not to the point where anyone should worry about it being a persistent issue or something that would slow him down. He noted that this is especially true of athletes just due to the outstanding physical traits they generally have. He's worked with athletes on numerous occasions (some pretty famous ones). So I would take his word over that of someone like David Chao. 

I mean, there's no two ways about it, it's not good for Bosa or anyone, but there are far more players now coming back from it fine than players who don't. 

Thanks for the insight. Also, what does "FIL" mean?

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Apparently, Maiocco had a similar conversation (or maybe it's the same as this?) about a trade for Watson and who would be available to trade from the roster. People are freaking out on Twitter that Matt is giving off vibes of him calling the Buckner trade days before it happened. 

Not sure if the tweets of him hinting at a trade are legit or not. People are desperate for some real news on Twitter LOL.

18 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Apparently, Maiocco had a similar conversation (or maybe it's the same as this?) about a trade for Watson and who would be available to trade from the roster. People are freaking out on Twitter that Matt is giving off vibes of him calling the Buckner trade days before it happened. 

Not sure if the tweets of him hinting at a trade are legit or not. People are desperate for some real news on Twitter LOL.

I haven't listened yet. My guess is that they are probably just talking hypotheticals since the Bosa / Watson thing is such a hot topic on twitter. Given that reports are that Houston hasn't even agreed to open the market on Watson yet, I don't know what else it would be. We aren't trading roster players for anyone else, so I'm going to lean toward hypothetical