Jump to content

2021 Off-season FO / Coaching / Saleh to the Jets - Page 9


Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

@ForgeYou mentioned extending Tomlinson can help but anyone else? Would it make sense to extend Mostert? Can you do anything with Ward to lower his cap for next year or they won't want to do that since they can get off his deal next season with little cap hit? Not that they will do that, but gives them an opportunity to do so. 

Tomlinson makes the most amount of sense from a roster construction + cap maneuvering ability, but it only saves a little over 2 million maybe. The one that could make sense is probably Jimmie Ward, but not sure what he's interested at this point and whether the team would want to take him past his age 31 season. Extending that far our this far ahead is one of those things you don't see that often. Given that a portion of his base this year is already guaranteed, it would make some sense, though we already have a ghost year on his deal as it stands as well. 

Moster's cap number really isn't big enough this season, You could theoretically do it for AA, but I think the team is going to want to wait until next year when that pops up to 20 million. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

@ForgeYou mentioned extending Tomlinson can help but anyone else? Would it make sense to extend Mostert? Can you do anything with Ward to lower his cap for next year or they won't want to do that since they can get off his deal next season with little cap hit? Not that they will do that, but gives them an opportunity to do so. 

I think it was niner nation who mentioned Ward could be a candidate to be cut.. just kidding. They did say we could extend Ward?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

 

Don't think its bad for any of the sides. Wentz was clearly done in Philly and this opens them up for a real rebuild with Hurts as the QB for next year. Their cap situation is awfull and this actually saves a little. If he is as bad as he was this year they get a 2nd and a 3rd for a big contract and if he goes back to his old self under Reich they get probably a late first and a 3rd. Wouldn't have done it for us but with the Reich connection there worth a shot.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

😂

Its just as bad for the niner's beat guys. Like this is being too thirsty. 

This means absolutely nothing lol. I can say that I called the Wentz to Colts thing mooooooonths ago. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

😂

Sileo has quickly one of the most annoying voice in football. "Your welcome" is obnoxious on so many levels. The grammar, the self congratulating, the assumption that we care about him...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I think it was niner nation who mentioned Ward could be a candidate to be cut.. just kidding. They did say we could extend Ward?

Ward seems like a good option for an extension to create cap room. Ward has an $11 mil cap hit this year and has 2 years left on the deal after this season. I'd definitely extend Ward to lower his cap hit this season and next.

McGlinchey could be an option as well. McGlinchey has a $6 mil cap hit this year and is in his final year. If the Niners feel like he still has room to grow in pass pro, an extension now could be smart. If he is what he is and they feel they could upgrade next offseason, then we might just ride him out.

Tomlinson seems like a candidate, but his contract looks so messy to me that I'm not really sure. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Ward seems like a good option for an extension to create cap room. Ward has an $11 mil cap hit this year and has 2 years left on the deal after this season. I'd definitely extend Ward to lower his cap hit this season and next.

McGlinchey could be an option as well. McGlinchey has a $6 mil cap hit this year and is in his final year. If the Niners feel like he still has room to grow in pass pro, an extension now could be smart. If he is what he is and they feel they could upgrade next offseason, then we might just ride him out.

Tomlinson seems like a candidate, but his contract looks so messy to me that I'm not really sure. 

Tomlinson basically has 1 year left with three void years. So to extend him those void years become actual years.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Tomlinson basically has 1 year left with three void years. So to extend him those void years become actual years.

Got it, thank you. I looked at his Spotrac page and it looked like a complete mess with multi-colored numbers and crossed out years LOL 

I'd like to extend Ward, McGlinchey, and Tomlinson pretty soon. Combined, these three account for $23.5 mil of cap space. If we could get that down to the $10-15 range, that extra $8.5 - $13.5 in cap space could be huge for us.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

Ward seems like a good option for an extension to create cap room. Ward has an $11 mil cap hit this year and has 2 years left on the deal after this season. I'd definitely extend Ward to lower his cap hit this season and next.

McGlinchey could be an option as well. McGlinchey has a $6 mil cap hit this year and is in his final year. If the Niners feel like he still has room to grow in pass pro, an extension now could be smart. If he is what he is and they feel they could upgrade next offseason, then we might just ride him out.

Tomlinson seems like a candidate, but his contract looks so messy to me that I'm not really sure. 

McG doesn't really work. Almost half his cap this year is signing bonus proration which sticks regardless. His non SB cap hit is only about 3. Once you account for based and prorated signing bonus, there's no real savings there. 

The problem with doing anything with Ward is that his cap hit for next year, when we are also (currently) facing a little cap crunch, is already 11 million. Extend him and you're likely pushing that to about 14. Right now we have 140+ million spent on 19 guys for 2022. With Warner, that's probably 150+ for 20, and if we re-sign Trent, you're probably looking at 165 or more for 21 guys. That's a lot. Some of that will be worked around (Dee Ford, maybe Jimmy), but I'd think that guys like Ward and AA are two that they want to mess with next year as opposed to fixing this year and increasing next year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, I look at this trade and I have a hard time believing Jimmy G couldn't net a mid second. Like. I get Wentz has the "upside" factor and the athleticism, but he was straight up TRASH last year. Jimmy G was just injured...Jimmy G has the better contract, is arguably more reliable player and teams could get out of his deal sooner if they wanted too. 

Jimmy G to the Pats makes so much sense if we end up going QB in the first. 

Edit: Just saw that it's contingent on Wentz playing 70% of the snaps. So he's for sure netting a first. Crazy man, with how volatile the NFL is in general, if Wentz comes out and absolutely blows and the Colts suffer some injuries, it could spiral fast for them. I like them a lot still, but I also liked our team quite a bit last year and that went south fast once Jimmy G went down. 

Edited by John232
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...