2021 Off-season FO / Coaching / Saleh to the Jets - Page 9

N4L

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Haha I did. 

Pats also called regarding Jimmy. I think we will be able to flip him to NE if by any chance we end up with Watson or even Fields. Though at that point there wouldn't be much point in moving on from Jimmy as free agency would be done at that point. 

I am not buying that saving 24m wont make a difference at that point in the offseason. We can hold off on the warner extension until that time and obviously unused cap space will roll over.

We can have a handshake agreement with NE, like we did with them and Trent Brown. BB certainly can exercise discretion, so i am not worried about the details getting out and that jeopardizing our ability to go get one of the young QBs

Is it ideal as far as timing goes? No, its not perfect, but you know what? That is just how it goes sometimes. You need to make the move you need to make and let everything else sort itself out. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Maiocco was implying Jimmy wouldn't get that anywhere else on the free agent market and he's right. 

Agreed, which is why we need to either move on from him, or we need to get him to take a paycut. We have paid him 109m over the last 3 years. He needs to take a discount because of time spent on IR, much like we did with that bum Mckinnon.

Keeping Jimmy, not restructuring him, not giving him a pay cut, and not drafting a QB in the first round would be a massive mistake IMO. 

• Like 1

Listened to Maiocco's podcast today. FWIW he believes Jimmy G will be the likely starter, but he's waiting for his contract to be restructured before he's 100% certain. 

I think we'll wait and see how things go with Watson & maybe Cousins (Shanny does seem to love him for whatever reason), and the draft. If the dust settles in May and we haven't moved on from him, than i'll guess that we restructure to save some space. And then you can pencil him in as 100% the starter

2 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Listened to Maiocco's podcast today. FWIW he believes Jimmy G will be the likely starter, but he's waiting for his contract to be restructured before he's 100% certain. 

I think we'll wait and see how things go with Watson & maybe Cousins (Shanny does seem to love him for whatever reason), and the draft. If the dust settles in May and we haven't moved on from him, than i'll guess that we restructure to save some space. And then you can pencil him in as 100% the starter

Yeah, he's never waivered off his belief that Jimmy is the starter. Neither have several others. I think the Watson thing is legitimately the only hang up. If the Watson drama wasn't unfolding, I think the restructure & extension likely would have happened already 

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think we can work pretty well with 185. The only guy that is an absolute must to bring back is Trent. Everyone else I think we can work around pretty easily

Yep, you can work around everyone else minus maybe Verrett. But even then there are other really solid corners on the market. Plenty of one year prove it deals will be given out but I'm curious if Verrett rather take a three year deal with two years guaranteed at a lower APY? He can probably get a 1 year 12M deal elsewhere, but would he rather take a three year 28-30M deal with 20M guaranteed? 

If I was Watson, I would not want to go to the Jets whatsoever. They're worse than the Texans. Dolphins make the most sense out of those three teams.

If we can't get Watson, then im hoping we trade Jimmy G for the best draft pick we can get (2nd or 3rd) and move up as high as possible to get the best available rookie QB.

31 minutes ago, Forge said:

You win this round

He's basically fine going anywhere at this point. That's how bad it is in Houston. I don't blame him, that organization is a cluster phuck. 

NYJ can't ruin this. Go get him and use free agency to build a team around Watson. Opposite of how most teams do it but go sign A Rob, Linsley, Tartt, K.Williams and some solid corner. Can quickly turn this around with Watson despite the lack of high picks that they would need to give up. 

6 minutes ago, Aussie9er said:

I just don't get the jets thing for watson. Even if they get him that team is still not going anywhere and even with watson still likely worst team in that division. Like his trading one bad team for another bad team.

Because he is a top 5 QB in the league and is only 25 years old with five years left on his deal. The most important position is filled in year one. They have an insane amount of cap space to put talent around him. They can go from worst to first very quickly. It is a no-brainier to trade for Watson if possible. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Because he is a top 5 QB in the league and is only 25 years old with five years left on his deal. The most important position is filled in year one. They have an insane amount of cap space to put talent around him. They can go from worst to first very quickly. It is a no-brainier to trade for Watson if possible. 

Especially with Saleh being there, you can believe that defense will get turned around rather quickly. He'll bring a couple of former players with him anf they'll be respectable at least his first year on that side of the ball. Getting Watson speeds along that rebuild rather quickly. 

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

Especially with Saleh being there, you can believe that defense will get turned around rather quickly. He'll bring a couple of former players with him anf they'll be respectable at least his first year on that side of the ball. Getting Watson speeds along that rebuild rather quickly. 

Exactly, and they can sign all the guys I mentioned as they have the cap space to do so. You DREAM about your franchise one day getting a QB as good as Watson. He's a SURE thing unlike any of the QBs they can take at #2. 

I still think if we thrown in Bosa we get in the mix but still likely fall short of the Jets package. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

There's actually a lot to like about that team as it stands right now. The defense has talent,  the offensive line could be legitimately elite within the next 2 years, the offensive playmakers aren't QUITE what Watson has been use too, but they're not bad. Crowder and MIms is not bad (though health isn't great there). And as you said, CAP SPACE GALORE. They can go out and get AR15 or Kenny G AND Aaron Jones. Or they can go nuts spending on defense. 

I think the Jets has made the most sense. I do wonder if Sam Darnold will be sent back and the Texans will straight up punt picking QB for a year while they try to rebuild the rest of their team. 

22 minutes ago, John232 said:

There's actually a lot to like about that team as it stands right now. The defense has talent,  the offensive line could be legitimately elite within the next 2 years, the offensive playmakers aren't QUITE what Watson has been use too, but they're not bad. Crowder and MIms is not bad (though health isn't great there). And as you said, CAP SPACE GALORE. They can go out and get AR15 or Kenny G AND Aaron Jones. Or they can go nuts spending on defense. 

I think the Jets has made the most sense. I do wonder if Sam Darnold will be sent back and the Texans will straight up punt picking QB for a year while they try to rebuild the rest of their team. 

Darnold would almost certainly be moved. Maybe to the Texans or in a separate team or heck in a three team trade where he's sent elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, John232 said:

They also have C.J. Mosley coming back who has only played like 2 games for them. But he's had plenty of time to get healthy since he opted out of the 2020 season, so that should help their defense as well. I am in the camp that the Jets aren't too terribly far away from competing in the AFC East.