2021 Off-season FO / Coaching / Saleh to the Jets - Page 9

N4L

I think we really need to start coming to grips about losing Trent. He's just going to get a bigger deal elsewhere. That would almost surely make OT our biggest need in the draft but as stated already, really good draft for teams needing a tackle.

But if this happens, we need to be serious candidates for Barrett or Floyd or Ngakoue. Wouldn't mind going hard after Williams Jackson either along with Verrett. 

16 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I think we really need to start coming to grips about losing Trent. He's just going to get a bigger deal elsewhere. That would almost surely make OT our biggest need in the draft but as stated already, really good draft for teams needing a tackle.

But if this happens, we need to be serious candidates for Barrett or Floyd or Ngakoue. Wouldn't mind going hard after Williams Jackson either along with Verrett. 

I think it's a distinct possibility as well. The good thing is that I don't think we can be completely blown out of the water or anything, so we will definitely stay involved with Trent. I don't think anyone is going to give him like 25 million a season or anything like that. 

56 minutes ago, Forge said:

Tagging is so brutal this year. They could basically just throw the entire season out the window. 

Off topic but still relevant to your post...

Never understood why the NFL employs a hard cap. A soft cap with a luxury tax threshold like in the NBA would do the league a world of good. Those owners who are all about winning and really cared about maintaining there team's talent would be able to do so, at a price of course. 

4 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Off topic but still relevant to your post...

Never understood why the NFL employs a hard cap. A soft cap with a luxury tax threshold like in the NBA would do the league a world of good. Those owners who are all about winning and really cared about maintaining there team's talent would be able to do so, at a price of course. 

A number of reasons are possible. 

Wasn't that done right around the time that free agency was given to players? Was that part of the same CBA? If it was, I have to wonder if those two things were intertwined. It wasn't the cash cow it is now. 

Also, wasn't it the first sport with a cap? Could just be something as simple as the idea that nobody had thought up the idea of a soft cap  at the time. 

Furthermore, I don't know that there's any league that aspires to parity as much as the NFL. Hard cap is good for that, soft cap typically not so much. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Forge said:

A number of reasons are possible. 

Wasn't that done right around the time that free agency was given to players? Was that part of the same CBA? If it was, I have to wonder if those two things were intertwined. It wasn't the cash cow it is now. 

Also, wasn't it the first sport with a cap? Could just be something as simple as the idea that nobody had thought up the idea of a soft cap  at the time. 

Furthermore, I don't know that there's any league that aspires to parity as much as the NFL. Hard cap is good for that, soft cap typically not so much. 

Well yes if parity is what you're looking for, a hard cap is definitely the way to go. I've always believed that a hard cap is more so a punishment for drafting and developing players well though. There's no way you can keep everyone togther and pay everyone with a hard cap. So you're not rewarded for building through the draft and finding talent. You have to maximize your 'window', which typically only last for a few years if you're lucky. Then you forced to lose vital players to free agency once their rookie deals are up. Now you have to either continue to draft well and hope you can retool. I shouldn't have to go and find another DeFo because I couldn't afford to pay both him & Armstead. I should have the ability to pay them both if as a owner, I'm willing to pay the price.

You should have the ability to retain your star players that you've developed and nutured. I really got into and starting watching/following European soccer the last 6-7 years and I think they really have the better formula. You don't develop or spend on talent then you more than likely end up regulated, which means you (the owner) lose money. It puts the owners in the crosshare and forces them to invest in their club. Bigger clubs have bigger wallets so they're usually in contention of titles/trophies but the smaller ones who have a knack for developing and finding talent are still very much relevant and have the ability to cash-in on said talent and not just lose them outright.  

Of course you'll never see the NFL run like European soccer but I think the ability to retain and keep your own talent should be a thing. Instead we let bad/medicore teams & FO ppl reap the benefits of someone else's due diligence simply because they have a ton of cap sapce to spare. 

Edited by 757-NINER

https://fullpresscoverage.com/2021/02/24/49ers-gm-john-lynch-no-doubt-garoppolo-will-be-49ers-quarterback-for-2021/

“If he is injury-free,” Lynch was asked, “is there any doubt in your mind that Jimmy Garoppolo is your quarterback when you line up in September?”

His response was immediate.

“No,” he said. “Not at all. I really believe that.”

Lynch’s response was not different from earlier comments, with the club pledging its “belief” in its quarterback. In fact, earlier in the broadcast, Lynch said the organization “very much believes in our quarterback.” But it’s one thing to believe in someone; another to indicate emphatically that he’s your starter for the coming season.

Still believe Jimmy G is the likely starter, but don't think its 100% confirmed until we see a restructure and/or extension

46 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

https://fullpresscoverage.com/2021/02/24/49ers-gm-john-lynch-no-doubt-garoppolo-will-be-49ers-quarterback-for-2021/

Still believe Jimmy G is the likely starter, but don't think its 100% confirmed until we see a restructure and/or extension

I just love this whole thing because the solution to a guy that already isn't all that cost effective is to add more money to the QB room that you can't afford because your 27 million dollar guy can't stay healthy, making him even less cost effective lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I just love this whole thing because the solution to a guy that already isn't all that cost effective is to add more money to the QB room that you can't afford because your 27 million dollar guy can't stay healthy, making him even less cost effective lol

Jimmy "Broken Condom" Garoppolo 

When he breaks, it ends up costing you more money in the long term!

• Like 2