2021 Off-season FO / Coaching / Saleh to the Jets - Page 9

N4L

15 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's not overstated.  It means he has first hand knowledge in working with him. Seeing how he understands things, processes, takes criticism, etc

I'm not saying that it makes him more likely to lean towards selecting fields, I'm saying he is more informed on fields to make a decision, including preferring Lance

I'm referring to overstated in linking the Niners and Fields. That's EXACTLY what has been happening. 

Whats the QB collective?

Remember that Lynch recently said he went to Mahomes pro day in 2017 even though they had no intention of drafting him (smh). So if we have access to Fields at the QB collective, sent Adam Peters in person to scout Zach Wilson, etc, it makes me think that we're not actually high on those QB's but want people to think so. 

As @J-ALL-DAYsaid if Maiocco says it you can take it to the bank. And Albert Breer also said a few scouts told him last offseason about how Lance fits the Niners. 

So yeah, i don't think we'll go QB, but if we do, it'll probably be Lance.

It'll be interesting to see what we do if he falls to us at 12.

13 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Whats the QB collective?

Remember that Lynch recently said he went to Mahomes pro day in 2017 even though they had no intention of drafting him (smh). So if we have access to Fields at the QB collective, sent Adam Peters in person to scout Zach Wilson, etc, it makes me think that we're not actually high on those QB's but want people to think so. 

As @J-ALL-DAYsaid if Maiocco says it you can take it to the bank. And Albert Breer also said a few scouts told him last offseason about how Lance fits the Niners. 

So yeah, i don't think we'll go QB, but if we do, it'll probably be Lance.

It'll be interesting to see what we do if he falls to us at 12.

QB collective is a camp for HS players by NFL/college coaches.

Someone digged up that Shanahan worked with Fields at that camp and then all of a sudden it meant to some that Fields is the guy for the Niners! Don't get me wrong, I'm a Fields fan and would love that but as usual, people took it overboard. The same group that was reporting the Niners are close on Stafford and are now pointing to this connection and that Fields will be the guy they move up and draft.

Totally forgot about the Breer article. I do recall that now! He said coaches pointed to him before the season how Lance would fit well in the Shanahan system. 

He's just super raw right now with limited playing experience. If maybe the team was not in win now mode he would be the clear cut pick, but can't see it happening now. 

Maiocco also said the two standout corners in the draft are Farley and Surtain. I like Horn quite a bit myself, but I'm wondering what they do if the top two are off the board? Do they still go corner in round one or switch up their draft strategy if they are indeed looking to draft a corner in round one.

Personally, I think it is OL/DL in the first two rounds, whatever the order. 

Here's probably how we go about the season without extending / restructuring Jimmy: 

We have 12.5 million in space right now according to OTC (Spotrac has us at 16...not sure which is more accurate). Richburg is 4.5. We can't cut Dee. He's got a 20 million dollar cap hit and likely can't play. If I had to guess what happens there, I'd say that we most likely restructure his base this year into signing bonus again (yep), then cut him June 1 next year to stretch that dead money over 3 years. That could give us about 10 million more this season and who knows, maybe he will get healthy.  I'd expect an extension of Tomlinson, which would get us about 3 million more. That would get us to roughly 29 million or so with 8-9 taken up by the rookies. So really about 20 million in effective cap space. 

Potential move that nobody is talking about? Cutting Mostert. Would save over 3 million, so keep that as a potential situation. Cutting guys like Benjamin and Shon Coleman and Nzeocha really don't return much when you factor in that you have to replace them with at least the vet minimum on the top 51, so between the 3 of them, maybe there is 1 million in savings total. Not enough to really worry about. 

But at about 20 million in space, I think that gives you enough money in a funky economic environment to fill a lot of holes. Legit backup QB. A couple of corners. A center. Fullback. Maybe another receiver and running back. 

I'd assume Mack on a relatively affordable 2 year deal. Back up QB could go a number of ways, but I think that we could get a pretty good one for about 3 million. Corners are just a super interesting group all the way around. A lot of "names" that will likely have more added to it (Malcolm Butler, for instance). I think that we will have a good opportunity to pluck a couple of pretty cheap guys from that group. 1 yr, 2 million + incentive types. If you can stretch half of that 20 million into 4 position players like that, I think you're in reasonable shape. 

Juice is likely gone. I think he probably ends up in New York in a similar situation to how he found himself here. I think the only recourse we have with him is if he takes that mid level FA exception (basically, he gets 2M in cash but only counts for 1M against the cap). 2m would still put him in the top 5 of fullbacks, so it's not that crazy. That being said, I'd assume that we end up giving that to someone like Blair who will gladly take it (possible that we could offer it to guys like Jones, Bourne, Spoon, Solly or Tartt, but out of that group, I feel like only Solly would be likely to take it and find his open market value to be less), Juice will get a better offer from New York, and we will proceed with Hokit / Rookie (Ben Mason, hello!) as the full back next year, which honestly is fine. Juice Check's net contribution to this team is negligible in my opinion. 

It feels like Trent is gone more and more by the day, but it's not impossible to fit him under the cap in this situation if we are willing to mess around with the structure. Bakh get 4 years / 92 million. 30 million sb (this ultimately ended up being 40 million because they have already restructured his contract and the 11 million dollar roster bonus he was due next month). Similarly structured deal makes his first year cap hit 11 million for Williams. But obviously at that point you're turning over couch cushions. You could conceivably just convert a small portion of Jimmy's contract to SB to create a little breathing room at that juncture. But worst comes to worse and he walks, you try to find someone slightly cheaper (Villanueva comes to mind immediately on a short term deal), or you draft a guy. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

If we lose Trent....which I hink is pretty likely at this point, I'm gonna be pissed if the first pick isnt a OT.

I would be extremely surprised too. Considering the level of talent at OT too. I think it would virtually guarantee Slater at 12.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, John232 said:

I would be extremely surprised too. Considering the level of talent at OT too. I think it would virtually guarantee Slater at 12.

Doesn't even have to be Slater. It could be Mayfield or Radunz. More than likely its Slater because of his versatility to play inside or out...it just better be a damn tackle.

8 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Darrisaw is another option.

Not to slip into the draft discussion too much here, but if Slater is gone, I think it has to be Darrisaw if we go tackle, I think. I do like AVT, but not his upside as much. Mayfield doesn't have the feet for LT I think, and this is too early for Radunz, though I'm good with trading down and picking him in the 20's if we can snag a second or maybe those two thirds from Washington. 

Just now, Forge said:

Not to slip into the draft discussion too much here, but if Slater is gone, I think it has to be Darrisaw if we go tackle, I think. I do like AVT, but not his upside as much. Mayfield doesn't have the feet for LT I think, and this is too early for Radunz, though I'm good with trading down and picking him in the 20's if we can snag a second or maybe those two thirds from Washington. 

Honestly pretty decent tackle class i would say. Maybe not as much top talent as last year but there is quite a few guys i would have no problem with bottom starting that could be there at our second rounder or in a small trade up besides offcourse Sewell who will be long gone at 12 and either Darrisaw or Slater at 12.

8 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I expect Darrishaw to be off the board by the time we're on the clock.

It'd be a really good play by the Giants & Chargers. Chargers jump two spots for like a third (they have two). Chargers get ahead of us for Darrisaw as we *could* select him. Giants have a lot of options at their pick, so likely at pick 11 there are multiple guys they would be happy to take meaning a drop down of 2 spots probably won't leave them in a lurch. 

8 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I expect Darrishaw to be off the board by the time we're on the clock.

I think he is one of those guys right in that 10-15 mix that could be gone before us and could go after us. Really a hard draft to predict with the QB's being all over the board(besides Lawrence) and then you have wildcards like Parsons and Pitts and even the top WR's there is a lot of unknown about all three. Normally with pro days and the combine the media guys talk to their scouting buddies and get some inside they use to change their board and will be interesting to see if there are going to be more outliers this year compared to earlier ones.