2021 Off-season FO / Coaching / Saleh to the Jets - Page 9

N4L

7 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

How much of his salary would we take on? @Forge

Great backup, but doubt this happens. 

Would be around 18 i believe. Next year(last on his contract) there seems to be no guarantees with a 21 mil hit. 

Edited by Justone2

4 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Would be around 18 i believe. Next year(last on his contract) there seems to be no guarantees with a 21 mil hit. 

So if we trade for him it would be to replace Jimmy i would say.

Edited by Justone2

16 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Yeah, in that case it would be to replace Jimmy but honestly I can't see that happening. Thought his cap hit would be much lower with Carolina taking a solid amount of the hit. 

Alex Smith is going to get released by WFT so that may be a pretty decent backup option. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah, in that case it would be to replace Jimmy but honestly I can't see that happening. Thought his cap hit would be much lower with Carolina taking a solid amount of the hit. 

Alex Smith is going to get released by WFT so that may be a pretty decent backup option. 

Pretty small signing bonus at 5 mil a year. Biggest hit for them is the guaranteed salary of 10 mil this year. So cutting for them is a 20 mil dead money hit where trading only gets the signing bonus to kick in.

51 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Agreed. My thought is that we were kicking around the idea of trading Jimmy (say when the Pats came calling) and wanted to evaluate the price point of potential vet replacements if we were to do that. 

14 minutes ago, Forge said:

Agreed. My thought is that we were kicking around the idea of trading Jimmy (say when the Pats came calling) and wanted to evaluate the price point of potential vet replacements if we were to do that. 

Yeah if you get a 2nd or something for Jimmy i think there is worse options than trading a later pick for Bridgewater. Its however just another stopgap type so if we couple that with drafting a Trey Lance i don't hate it. Would prefer to try and sign a Fitzpatrick or Dalton at that point but if they go elsewhere its good to know the price and its a move you can wiggle some with either an extension(cut those salaries down to more back-up money) or a restructure where you take into account you are going to cut him so won't restructure as much as you can.

• Like 1

Maybe the Niners are considering moneyballing the QB position this year, which is what i think @Forge has been advocating for. If Jimmy gives you average QB play at $25 mil and Teddy gives you average QB play at $17 mil, and you can get a 2nd-3rd back for Jimmy while giving up a 4th-5th for Teddy, you come out ahead in assets & cap space 

Although i do think familiarity with the system is worth something. And while Jimmy has his durability issues, Teddy has missed time too correct? 

Just now, 49ersfan said:

Although i do think familiarity with the system is worth something. And while Jimmy has his durability issues, Teddy has missed time too correct? 

Teddy had his one horrific injury and hasn't played much since. He got banged up a couple of times last year and ultimately missed a game, but I believe that was the only game he's actually missed in the three full seasons he has started (again, along with the really bad knee injury during training camp that one year) 

30 minutes ago, Forge said:

Teddy had his one horrific injury and hasn't played much since. He got banged up a couple of times last year and ultimately missed a game, but I believe that was the only game he's actually missed in the three full seasons he has started (again, along with the really bad knee injury during training camp that one year) 

Good point, so a likely upgrade in the durability department. 

Although, thinking about it more, and especially seeing this come from a Panthers writer. This feels more like an attempt to generate some buzz for Bridgewater on the trade market.

Of all the teams looking for a QB, outside of the Jags with Lawrence, i feel most confident in the Panthers moving on at QB. Their ownership is aggressive and they have the assets/cap space. I think they're most likely to end up with Watson 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

His base is like 17 I think

I have always liked and rooted for Bridgewater. I believe, in the right system, he can be a top 5-10 QB still. Unfortunately, I'm not comfortable with him replacing Jimmy outright, but as a backup I would be 100% for it.

Okay, we can put that to bed. I didn't realize that the Athletic was using Dan Sileo as the source. That's not a real thing and I can't believe the Athletic would legitimately use him as a source in the article. Wow. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Okay, we can put that to bed. I didn't realize that the Athletic was using Dan Sileo as the source. That's not a real thing and I can't believe the Athletic would legitimately use him as a source in the article. Wow. 

I actually read the article and completely missed Sileo as the source LOL.

What is annoying though is that we KNOW for a fact that this team pretty much inquires about every single available player and then we will be getting daily reports on who the Niners are targeting when that is not the actual case. 

Buckle up, still a long ways until the draft!