2021 Off-season FO / Coaching / Saleh to the Jets - Page 9

N4L

1 minute ago, John232 said:

So does this mean we won’t have to restructure anyone AND conceivably bring back everyone, with Trent being the  possible exception? 

Maybe, but would seem unlikely. 23 million now is about 14 million after rookies. If people are signing one year deals, there's no way to hide cap. Backup QBs are guys that I think are going to get squeezed a lot this year. Don't think you'll see back ups signing multi year deals...they'll take one year deals and hope to hit the market next year. So if we want someone like Dalton, that's probably just going to be 3 million off the cap right away. Alex Mack probably signs a 2 year deal at most. New minimums kick in this year and vet minds could be over 1 million. 

Just now, NcFinest9erFan said:

I was wrong about Josh Allen when he was drafted by the Bills. I've been on the anti-Justin Fields wagon but I think I'll hop on now.

Don't really get why Mac wouldn't fit in the Shanahan scheme. The guy is basically a more polished Cousins(coming out) and from all accounts Shanahan prefers accurate pocket passers.

• Like 2

Just now, Justone2 said:

Don't really get why Mac wouldn't fit in the Shanahan scheme. The guy is basically a more polished Cousins(coming out) and from all accounts Shanahan prefers accurate pocket passers.

Yep, I don't get what Riddick is thinking there unless he had to pick just one. Then I understand saying that Fields fit may be *better* than Mac's fit for the 9ers, but that doesn't mean Mac wouldn't be a fit, if you know what I mean. 

• Like 1

Just a hypothetical, let's say we pass on re-signing Williams and instead sign let's say Barrett or Ngakoue and just draft a OT in the first round. Would you prefer that or re-signing Williams and going with the best edge rusher in the first or second round? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yep, I don't get what Riddick is thinking there unless he had to pick just one. Then I understand saying that Fields fit may be *better* than Mac's fit for the 9ers, but that doesn't mean Mac wouldn't be a fit, if you know what I mean. 

I was talking more about the blurb underneath him. There literally is no way Jones isn't a fit in Shanahans offense. For Lance i can get it. Kyle has worked with pocket passers almost excusively from Schaub to Ryan to Hoyer or every QB he brought in here. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Shanahan isn't going Jones if he goes with a QB. He will want to switch it up from what he's been coaching. Lance or Fields are more likely. 

I highly doubt that. Every QB he has worked with of hand picked has been a pocket passer. The only ones that don't fit that bill are Griffin and Manziel who both got forced on him from above. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Justone2 said:

I was talking more about the blurb underneath him. There literally is no way Jones isn't a fit in Shanahans offense. For Lance i can get it. Kyle has worked with pocket passers almost excusively from Schaub to Ryan to Hoyer or every QB he brought in here. 

I highly doubt that. Every QB he has worked with of hand picked has been a pocket passer. The only ones that don't fit that bill are Griffin and Manziel who both got forced on him from above. 

I'm pretty confident in him switching it up. He knows the ceilings with QBs who can operate in the pocket but can't offer much else. Shanahan sees how the league is moving. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Just a hypothetical, let's say we pass on re-signing Williams and instead sign let's say Barrett or Ngakoue and just draft a OT in the first round. Would you prefer that or re-signing Williams and going with the best edge rusher in the first or second round? 

I think the OT's around 12 will be better than the edge players. On the other hand i feel we aren't going to be looking at a base edge and instead will spend that money on the secondary and going with a OT and edge with our first two picks.

• Like 1

I don't know if it was from his show today, but I saw a video from 

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The edge class is middle heavy, not top heavy. Ultimately i don't have a ton of interest in edge players at 12. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

The edge class is middle heavy, not top heavy. Ultimately i don't have a ton of interest in edge players at 12. 

So sign Barrett or Ngakoue if possible, over re-signing Trent? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm pretty confident in him switching it up. He knows the ceilings with QBs who can operate in the pocket but can't offer much else. Shanahan sees how the league is moving. 

I think Shanahan is pretty set in his ways and will probably never go full athletic QB. Will he look at say a Fields and think he is a good enough passer coupled with athletic ability and like them that sure is a possibility. I think Lance is a step further away from that and i doubt Shanahan wants to mold his offense to fit a guy like Lance. If he gets the choice between Lance on one side and Jones on the other i am fairly confident he goes Jones. With Fields he falls more in that middle ground of a QB that can run but also is a passer like say a Deshaun Watson over a Lamarr Jackson.

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

So sign Barrett or Ngakoue if possible, over re-signing Trent? 

I don't really care to sign Yannick. He's going to get overpaid for what he is. 

I'd sign Barrett, but no, I probably wouldn't splurge on the pass rushing class here outside of him. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah and with the way we use AA, I wouldn't want an edge a 12 either since whoever it is will be merely like Ford. Passing downs. Although I wouldn't mind it if we spend a couple of picks on edge rushers later on in the draft.

• Like 1

If I'm signing an edge player, it's probably Smoot, Okwara, someone of that ilk. Maybe Judon if he falls through the cracks, but I think he's overhyped for what he does. Too many sacks against tight ends and free blitzing. 

• Like 1