2021 Off-season FO / Coaching / Saleh to the Jets - Page 9

N4L

14 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't really care to sign Yannick. He's going to get overpaid for what he is. 

I'd sign Barrett, but no, I probably wouldn't splurge on the pass rushing class here outside of him. 

I rather just re-sign Trent and see if you can bring back Hyder and then take an edge in the first or second round. I mean if you bring back Hyder somehow and then bring back Blair, that's not too bad either. Just super risky with all the injury concerns. 

Trent is just soooo good and this OL is putrid without him so he is a must for me. If we truly have 23M in cap space before freeing up more, no excuses not to bring him back unless he just rather go elsewhere. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, John232 said:

I like that idea though, such a good OT class, especially if slater gets to 12

I kind of want Slater even if we re-sign Williams. I really believe this OL can instantly become one of the best just by those two moves plus signing Mack or another solid C. And then you don't have to pay McGlinchey and can just move Slater to RT.

Having Williams/Slater as your bookends is pretty insane to think about. 

• Like 2

The main problem with Williams though is that unless we offer him more than say Bakhtiari there is a pretty decent chance we will lose him. I am fine giving him that type of money because of how good he is but to fit that in with our cap space and keeping a eye on future years might be pretty tough. Grabbing a Darrisaw or Slater would mean a lesser on field performance but also a way more cost effective one. I would love to see Williams back with us but with the cap and the tackles that can be there when we pick its a move i can see this FO making.

It's cowherd, so take it with a grain of salt, but I saw a video out there today where he said that Jimmy could have come back last year and chose to remain out. I find that interesting and not all something that will endear him to the staff if accurate. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's cowherd, so take it with a grain of salt, but I saw a video out there today where he said that Jimmy could have come back last year and chose to remain out. I find that interesting and not all something that will endear him to the staff if accurate. 

Here we go with that again lol........

Lawd the leaks are crazy at this point. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Here we go with that again lol........

Lawd the leaks are crazy at this point. 

Right? And here's the thing, this regime is insanely tight lipped. The athletic podcast actually commented on that specifically a couple of weeks ago. So are people just randomly throwing crap against the wall here? Like, I don't get why the Jimmy G saga has such a national pull. I get 9er twitterverse being all over it. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Right? And here's the thing, this regime is insanely tight lipped. The athletic podcast actually commented on that specifically a couple of weeks ago. So are people just randomly throwing crap against the wall here? Like, I don't get why the Jimmy G saga has such a national pull. I get 9er twitterverse being all over it. 

Unless one of the big sources of these national podcasts/radio hosts is Niners twitter LOL. 

I don't know why they keep bringing up the Jimmy being able to play but not wanting to. Literally the entire time Shanahan kept saying at the earliest he will return week 16 and by then the team was out of the playoff hunt. Jimmy was never going to return after the back to back losses to the Cowboys/Redskins. 

If Jimmy didn't have such a big APY, I bet his team would have asked for a release or trade by now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Forge said:

I'd sign Barrett, but no, I probably wouldn't splurge on the pass rushing class here outside of him. 

Get him @pwny 

Just now, N4L said:
2 hours ago, Forge said:

Get him @pwny 

What is it that he is?

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

A good, but probably not great player that may get paid like a great player because that is what free agency does

I guess if you’re expecting him to get paid at a level like the older Bosa did, I agree. He doesn’t have the run defense to justify 27M a year. But he always indicated [at least while he was a Jaguar] that he was looking for money a little higher than the Trey Flowers range. And for a guy as good of a pass rusher as he is, and a guy who is one of the absolute best in the league at creating turnovers as a pass rusher, he’s worth money in that 20-21M range. And if markets are depressed like it’d expected, and you can get him for sub-20? I’d be all over that. 

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I kind of want Slater even if we re-sign Williams. I really believe this OL can instantly become one of the best just by those two moves plus signing Mack or another solid C. And then you don't have to pay McGlinchey and can just move Slater to RT.

Having Williams/Slater as your bookends is pretty insane to think about. 

If we did this, i wonder if we'd start Slater at RG, or if we'd move him immediately to RT & trade McGlinchey

McGlinchey is an elite run blocker but his pass protection was a huge liability last season. I don't see us signing him to a 2nd contract and outside of QB, prioritizing the OL & DL would be my top priority for the Niners.

1 minute ago, pwny said:

I guess if you’re expecting him to get paid at a level like the older Bosa did, I agree. He doesn’t have the run defense to justify 27M a year. But he always indicated [at least while he was a Jaguar] that he was looking for money a little higher than the Trey Flowers range. And for a guy as good of a pass rusher as he is, and a guy who is one of the absolute best in the league at creating turnovers as a pass rusher, he’s worth money in that 20-21M range. And if markets are depressed like it’d expected, and you can get him for sub-20? I’d be all over that. 

I've been assuming 20+ for him just because I'm not expecting the depressed market to hit the upper tier free agents. 

10 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

If we did this, i wonder if we'd start Slater at RG, or if we'd move him immediately to RT & trade McGlinchey

McGlinchey is an elite run blocker but his pass protection was a huge liability last season. I don't see us signing him to a 2nd contract and outside of QB, prioritizing the OL & DL would be my top priority for the Niners.

I don't think they would trade McGlinchey away but it gives them freedom to not pick up his 5th year option or not give him a second contract. Shanny values run blocking highly in this offense. I think they will wait to see how McGlinchey looks with the extra added weight to determine his future on the team. 

• Like 1