Rich7sena

The Carr Dilemma 2021  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What to do with Carr in 2021

• Option 1: extend Carr
    • Option 2: trade Carr
    • Neither

52 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

lol good look up! Our O really had some things working this season. 
We can move the ball, we just really really struggle in the Redzone. Have to get Waller more involved there. Stop taking him off the field to go into jumbo set. Worse case scenario, at least have waller as a decoy!

There are times, when it felt like we went 3 and out to often, but from your stat, Im guessing every fan / team feels that way at times. 

We set a record for 3 n outs to open the game on offense which continued into the last game. Besides t/o’s that’s a horrible way to start a game 

46 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

We set a record for 3 n outs to open the game on offense which continued into the last game. Besides t/o’s that’s a horrible way to start a game 

yea which is brutal, that is on Gruden I think. He starts games so conservative. Teams know we go run, run, short pass to start every game lol

• Like 1

extending him now makes sense, but i dont even know that we need to do so in a way that cuts his cap number for this year. moving off williams/joyner/mariota alone would already get us under the cap.

if you cut his cap hit for this year, its just going to be at the expense of the future. i'd rather lock him up now for what his going rate would be, and by the time the new years kick in 2 years from now, with the cap moving back up, he'll yet again be at a bargain.

i dont know that there are active extension talks (its been speculated in national media, but somewhat rebuffed by local beat writers)... but at the very least it seems they're doing their due diligence in the Watson/Wilson market before making that decision.

i just dont know why you'd wait until he's on a contract year if you can help it. obviously he's too good a player to be one that you'd want to just move away from without being compensated, so i dont see good reason not to extend him

Edited by Turnobili

On 2/26/2021 at 8:58 AM, roi34 said:

agreed, maybe its because he doesnt ever expect to get hit ! lol

Issues with the pass rush have gone back all the way to DC's college days. This is why we have invested in the line so much since we drafted him. With pass rush he's a different player Fumbling 10 times despite being sack 26 times means that every 2.6 sacks our QB will put the ball on the ground. Cant win in the NFL like that

4 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Issues with the pass rush have gone back all the way to DC's college days. This is why we have invested in the line so much since we drafted him. With pass rush he's a different player Fumbling 10 times despite being sack 26 times means that every 2.6 sacks our QB will put the ball on the ground. Cant win in the NFL like that

just speaking strictly statistics, you have much better odds of winning fumbling every 2.6 sacks vs giving up 28.4 ppg.
both are bad, but one is horrific, one is bad but manageable. IE, some games Carr wont be sacked at all, so its not a factor

On 2/28/2021 at 8:06 AM, big_palooka said:

I have no problem with optimism and respect that is the side you lean on. I don't see a team that improved. I see a team that collapsed in 2019. Spent a ton of money on the defense, got worse and collapsed again in 2020.

I see a team that needed a 2pt conversion against Denver week 17 to limp to 8-8. An improvement from 2019 when they failed the same 2pt attempt and fell to 7-9.

2021... they have to push reset again on defense with an entire new staff tasked with salvaging a lot of bad draft picks and FA signings. 

Derek is keeping this team from being 5-11 right now. But I don't see how they can rebuild this defense to help him quickly.

Well I'm personally using the KC game as an example.  Yeah we went 8-8, but we literally had a team good enough to beat them.  Literally no team other than us beat them while they were relatively healthy.  I just think we have greatly improved on offense and that was the difference.  I don't know what the heck has happened to the defense but we need to fix that dumpster fire ASAP.  I see where you're coming from though with the 7-9, 8-8 difference being a 2 point conversion, but I still think the team has a lot of pieces in place to develop our team into one that can reach the playoffs.  More pieces than we have had in years past.  Our team is so young at so many positions.  We just need to keep our home grown talent and augment the team via the draft and FA and I think we will be winning more games next year and on.  I'm going to continue to stay optimistic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BackinBlack said:

just speaking strictly statistics, you have much better odds of winning fumbling every 2.6 sacks vs giving up 28.4 ppg.
both are bad, but one is horrific, one is bad but manageable. IE, some games Carr wont be sacked at all, so its not a factor

That's the issue with looking at stats. Many times it doesnt tell the entire story of the game. We can both make arguments how both are bad and not ideal to winning overall. Fumbling can lead to more points given up by the defense etc

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

That's the issue with looking at stats. Many times it doesnt tell the entire story of the game. We can both make arguments how both are bad and not ideal to winning overall. Fumbling can lead to more points given up by the defense etc

ye for sure. 
Carr needs to do a better job of holding on to the ball. No disagreement from me there. 

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

Well I'm personally using the KC game as an example.  Yeah we went 8-8, but we literally had a team good enough to beat them.  Literally no team other than us beat them while they were relatively healthy.  I just think we have greatly improved on offense and that was the difference.  I don't know what the heck has happened to the defense but we need to fix that dumpster fire ASAP.  I see where you're coming from though with the 7-9, 8-8 difference being a 2 point conversion, but I still think the team has a lot of pieces in place to develop our team into one that can reach the playoffs.  More pieces than we have had in years past.  Our team is so young at so many positions.  We just need to keep our home grown talent and augment the team via the draft and FA and I think we will be winning more games next year and on.  I'm going to continue to stay optimistic.

The young players need to get coached up. It'll make all the difference. Or it won't if it doesn't happen.

21 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

The young players need to get coached up. It'll make all the difference. Or it won't if it doesn't happen.

Exactly.  Players like Moreau, Crosby, Renfrow, you keep those guys for 10 years.  They're role players that each and every team wants and needs.  We just need to keep adding more and more pieces.  I'm really excited for year 4 of the second Gruden era.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2021 at 9:43 AM, Jerry said:

I'm going to continue to stay optimistic.

Bah Hum BUG!!!

Join me on the DARKSIDE, Where one can rule the galaxy as the Supreme Leader...

So sayeth the Sheepard...SO SAYTH THE FLOCK!!!

Or just tell me to get the FLOCK out of here.

Oh I'm losing it without drinks... I smell a 72 hour hold in my future.