Rich7sena

The Carr Dilemma 2021  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What to do with Carr in 2021

• Option 1: extend Carr
    • Option 2: trade Carr
    • Neither

5 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

might not be a popular opinion, but i do think it would be in the raiders best interest to get him on an extension now. he's below market now... leverage that he's under contract for relatively low pay for even the 2022 season to get a good deal on an extension

I think you meant that you do not think it's in the Raiders best interest to extend him now. The reason why I think it might be is that extending him would reduce his cap hit this year--in a great free agency class--and increase his cap hit in 2022 by let's say $10 million. I think we're all expecting the cap to increase by a good amount in 2022 so an extra $10 million wouldn't be nearly as bad as it might seem now.

2 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I think you meant that you do not think it's in the Raiders best interest to extend him now. The reason why I think it might be is that extending him would reduce his cap hit this year--in a great free agency class--and increase his cap hit in 2022 by let's say $10 million. I think we're all expecting the cap to increase by a good amount in 2022 so an extra $10 million wouldn't be nearly as bad as it might seem now.

no, i mean what i said. it would be in their best interest to extend him now. extend him under current cap parameters instead of waiting. you dont have to reduce his cap number to extend him. can keep his 2021 cap number the same if you wanted, have the new money not start until 2022

if you really wanted to reduce his 2021 cap number because you had a very specific FA target that you feel you HAVE to have, then i guess, sure, do that. but its not a requirement. but then again i dont really trust gruyock's judgment at all in that respect

Edited by Turnobili
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Turnobili said:

no, i mean what i said. it would be in their best interest to extend him now. extend him under current cap parameters instead of waiting. you dont have to reduce his cap number to extend him. can keep his 2021 cap number the same if you wanted, have the new money not start until 2022

if you really wanted to reduce his 2021 cap number because you had a very specific FA target that you feel you HAVE to have, then i guess, sure, do that. but its not a requirement. but then again i dont really trust gruyock's judgment at all in that respect

In that case I would not extend him now--I don't see a reason to.

1 minute ago, Turnobili said:

get ahead of the market as best you can. the cowboys could have had dak at 35mil/year if they signed him last year.

As much of a Carr fan that I am, I am not sure he is a slam dunk re-sign at the end of his deal.

9 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

As much of a Carr fan that I am, I am not sure he is a slam dunk re-sign at the end of his deal.

if he goes to AFC championship game then you revsist. Honestly playing a playoff is nice but we need to play and win one. 

1 minute ago, roi34 said:

if he goes to AFC championship game then you revsist. Honestly playing a playoff is nice but we need to play and win one. 

And I'm not even too worried about paying Carr $31-$36 million in 2023 if it comes down to it. I think the contract comp for him is Tannehill, not Prescott.

1 minute ago, Rich7sena said:

And I'm not even too worried about paying Carr $31-$36 million in 2023 if it comes down to it. I think the contract comp for him is Tannehill, not Prescott.

could be, I'm not either, just depends on team around him at the time. We need to build a defense and we need build one now.   Carr is at prime age, and need a good mix of young talent/speed and experience this off-season. 

I think the best thing with Carr is not to extend him now. And I'm a supporter of his.

The reason why is that it gives us a chance to see him in his 4th year in Gruden's system and see if his can become a consistent top 10 guy, or not.

If he can and we make the playoffs, give him his deserved $$$. If not, we can consider entertaining trades and trying to flip him to acquire another qb (for example I don't think Wilson OR Watson are moved this offseason).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think the best thing with Carr is not to extend him now. And I'm a supporter of his.

We definitely should not sign him long term right now. At the rate we're going who knows how much longer Gruden and/or Mayock will even be here.

On 3/9/2021 at 7:00 AM, NYRaider said:

We definitely should not sign him long term right now. At the rate we're going who knows how much longer Gruden and/or Mayock will even be here.

This is definitely a do or die year for all three, in my opinion: Gruden, Mayock, and Carr. If we can’t make the playoffs facing the NFC East, we need yet another total rebuild. New Coach, New GM, New QB. And no, I wouldn’t give Carr a chance just because we have a new coach. He’s had plenty of time. 

Gruden’s scheme is effective, and constantly one of the highest scoring offenses with points per drive, however, his personnel decisions, his lack of discipline and demand for responsibility for his players, and his play calling in the red zone have all been huge red flags. As for Mayock, he has proven thus far that he hasn’t drafted or signed well. Then we have Carr who is a good QB, but not a great QB by any stretch of the imagination. As we have seen over the past decade, only time you are going to win a Super Bowl with a “good” QB is if your defense is Top 1-2 Elite. Great QBs + Top 5-6 Defenses are what win championships in today’s NFL. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

On 3/10/2021 at 11:38 AM, BayRaider said:

This is definitely a do or die year for all three, in my opinion: Gruden, Mayock, and Carr. If we can’t make the playoffs facing the NFC East, we need yet another total rebuild. New Coach, New GM, New QB. And no, I wouldn’t give Carr a chance just because we have a new coach. He’s had plenty of time. 

Gruden’s scheme is effective, and constantly one of the highest scoring offenses with points per drive, however, his personnel decisions, his lack of discipline and demand for responsibility for his players, and his play calling in the red zone have all been huge red flags. As for Mayock, he has proven thus far that he hasn’t drafted or signed well. Then we have Carr who is a good QB, but not a great QB by any stretch of the imagination. As we have seen over the past decade, only time you are going to win a Super Bowl with a “good” QB is if your defense is Top 1-2 Elite. Great QBs + Top 5-6 Defenses are what win championships in today’s NFL. 

Agreed. Carr would have to go. And to those who think Mark Davis wouldn't fire Gruden, think again. No Owner wants to lose especially Mark Davis. He spent $100 million on Gruden to win not lose. The media would spin it that Gruden resigned possibly

2 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Agreed. Carr would have to go. And to those who think Mark Davis wouldn't fire Gruden, think again. No Owner wants to lose especially Mark Davis. He spent $100 million on Gruden to win not lose. The media would spin it that Gruden resigned possibly

I think Gruden retiring and heading back to the booth is more likely Mark firing him. I'd guess that if we miss the playoffs in 2021 that Mayock is the fall guy and gets fired after the season. And if we fail to make the playoffs again in 2022 during year 6 of Gruden's return I'd bet that he retires and we move on from Carr so that the new GM/Coach can get their own guy in the building to build around. 

I agree with you that no owner wants to lose but Mark Davis doesn't exactly strike me as an owner that you'd say he wants to lose less than other owners. Since he inherited full control of the team in 2012 we've had a 61-95 record (39 win %), only 1 wining season, and 5 head coaches. And with two of those coaches, Gruden/Jackson, he gave them total control of personnel decisions which is why we made insane moves like trading multiple 1sts for Carson Palmer, trading away Mack/Cooper, drafting pretty damn bad and missing on almost every marquee free agent we've brought in. 

Edited by NYRaider