Rich7sena

The Carr Dilemma 2021  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What to do with Carr in 2021

• Option 1: extend Carr
    • Option 2: trade Carr
    • Neither

13 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

l don't see anyone can watch these QBs every January led their team deep into the playoffs while our team is looking at draft prospects and eating popcorn

The last 4 AFC teams this weekend all changed their QB since Carr has became our starter in 2014. Rebuilt and passed us up again.

Bringing back a starting QB who has done nothing but lose in 7 seasons is a loser mentality. Accepting Mediocrity is something that needs to be changed.

The start is trading Carr away to get a fresh start.

The offense was fine under Mariota 

the thing is when are we gonna be rebuilt? lol not one QB in the playoffs is being asked to carry the team, not one, yet thats what DC is supposed to do? They are Playoff TEAMS. 

7 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

This is Carr's 4th season with 10+ fumbles.

It is a SEVERE ISSUE according to your own admission

Alright, you got me.  Lets trade DC, 17 1st round picks, your first born son, and a pound of your flesh for Deshaun Watson.  That should fix everything.  Or better yet, lets just trade our entire salary cap and team for Patrick Mahomes, since you know, anything is possible.  I don't know if it was you that said the 4 best QBs were in the playoffs or whatever, but what is your plan to take them on?  Like what do you think the team should do to get us into the AFC championship and SB?  Which QB would you go get in your dream scenario.

5 minutes ago, Geezy said:

the thing is when are we gonna be rebuilt? lol not one QB in the playoffs is being asked to carry the team, not one, yet thats what DC is supposed to do? They are Playoff TEAMS. 

Defenses play tighter in the playoffs.  Happens almost every year that the winning team has a defense that cranks it up a couple notches and of course the weather plays a part also.  I do not have any stats or have looked any of it up but I would expect scoring to decrease in the post season with the exception of the Super Bowl which is normally played in a warm city or a dome.  

35 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

To be clear, if Carr **** the bed vs KC, I’d want to move on too. But he played his best vs them. If that doesn’t count for something moving forward, I don’t know what does.

Do you think the lack of fans and not playing there in December benefitted Carr vs KC this year? We have 6 years of evidence of him crapping the bed vs them. Is one year, in a pandemic, going to override the 6 years? 

Do you honestly believe we can year in and year out compete with KC with Carr as our QB going forward.

6 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Alright, you got me.  Lets trade DC, 17 1st round picks, your first born son, and a pound of your flesh for Deshaun Watson.  That should fix everything.  Or better yet, lets just trade our entire salary cap and team for Patrick Mahomes, since you know, anything is possible.  I don't know if it was you that said the 4 best QBs were in the playoffs or whatever, but what is your plan to take them on?  Like what do you think the team should do to get us into the AFC championship and SB?  Which QB would you go get in your dream scenario.

Since you said dream scenario we would draft Aaron Rodgers instead of Fabian Washington.

40 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I'm not scapegoating the QB personally. It's not an either or argument. If this team is going to compete in the playoffs they need to get better on both sides of the ball. Obvious the defense is where the talent needs to be overhauled and developed. 

Their DVOA on offense isn't good enough however.  The top 4 QBs in DVOA are playing next week. QB play and scoring points go hand in hand. 

They can improve the defense and be a one and done playoff team.... is that the goal? 

The offense needs to play better too. Some of that is on card, some on gruden. Some ugly turnovers late in the year.

I don’t know about dvoa but the offense was 3rd in 3rd down % and 7th in points per drive. We didn’t get enough drives because of the defense. 

Even without advanced stats, I know we can hang in a shootout and that gives us a chance in any game. The problem for me is the defense gives us a chance to lose any game too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Do you think the lack of fans and not playing there in December benefitted Carr vs KC this year? We have 6 years of evidence of him crapping the bed vs them. Is one year, in a pandemic, going to override the 6 years? 

Do you honestly believe we can year in and year out compete with KC with Carr as our QB going forward.

Maybe you’re right. I think we can because we have some firepower on offense. 

For me personally, this upcoming year is the test for Carr. Can he improve on last year and take another step forward? Or will he stagnate/regress. We have a lot more to gain by keeping him and finding out, hence why I do want to keep him moving forward on his current deal. 

Never once did I say extend him now or anything like that. We have the luxury of being able to evaluate him without needing to affect the future.

55 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Carr is not a problem. Carr is also not a solution. Make of that what you will.

If you are happy being a fringe playoff team every year and all you care about is getting to the playoffs every now and then ride with Carr.

This. Mic drop. Thread over. Basically pick a side...

24 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

The offense needs to play better too. Some of that is on card, some on gruden. Some ugly turnovers late in the year.

I don’t know about dvoa but the offense was 3rd in 3rd down % and 7th in points per drive. We didn’t get enough drives because of the defense. 

Even without advanced stats, I know we can hang in a shootout and that gives us a chance in any game. The problem for me is the defense gives us a chance to lose any game too.

We had games the defense showed up and the offense did not.  The opposite was true also.  The offense showed up more often than the defense but that is expected because we have invested so much into the defense.  The team in general has played below expectations but when looking at the defense were you expecting much.  Our players are either young, unproven, or playing out of position with a bad coach.

Just now, NCOUGHMAN said:

I think this season was Carr’s ceiling and it was still underwhelming imo

If it was then we have to move on.  We also need to figure out the run game.  No way we spent a 1st on a RB and $54 on the oline to rank 19th in yards per carry.  We spent the same amount of money on Carr + the O-line as we did on defense.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

We had games the defense showed up and the offense did not.  The opposite was true also.  The offense showed up more often than the defense but that is expected because we have invested so much into the defense.  The team in general has played below expectations but when looking at the defense were you expecting much.  Our players are either young, unproven, or playing out of position with a bad coach.

Agree. It’s not 100% black and white. I’m not saying they’re all bad players or there weren’t reasons for it.

I also think Gruden did not at all utilize the talent we had on offense well (Ruggs mismanagement, not playing Moreau at all, benching Jacobs in the RZ inexplicably, not using pick plays and out breaking fades to Waller and Moreau in the RZ, etc).

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Since you said dream scenario we would draft Aaron Rodgers instead of Fabian Washington.

I meant this upcoming offseason lol.  What would you do this upcoming offseason.  I'm sticking with DC.  What would you do?