Rich7sena

The Carr Dilemma 2021  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What to do with Carr in 2021

• Option 1: extend Carr
    • Option 2: trade Carr
    • Neither

On 1/25/2021 at 12:30 PM, Jerry said:

Buffalo just clearly doesn't match up well.  You can call it effort, but I don't think KC ever took their foot off the pedal.  They were beating up teams all year long.  They had a couple hiccups but still could've gone undefeated if we never took them out in week 5.  You can say KC didn't bring "effort" in week 5 but they still managed to put up 32.  They didn't just roll over for us.  

Buff was young and inexperienced just like kc did getting knocked out by ne before they won it. Plus Reid is the dude

1 hour ago, Geezy said:

Im saying if your defense can get stops you can afford to take more chances, and even throw some picks that wont completely kill you. Thats what a lot of guys on here refuse to understand. When people mention the defense, its treated as an excuse. If Carr had a stat line likes Bradys with this defense wed have zero chance of winning vs ANYBODY, let alone the Packers. We want to see an NFL caliber defense that can help the offense win. Field position, turnovers, time of possesion etc, stats that equate to W's. 

Instead of talking about the real issue, guys are in here making garbage claims to paint DC as the issue. 

I read an article today that said Johnathan Abram had more TFLs than Hurst, Hankins and Collins COMBINED. He had THREE!!! But we need a new QB.

Can’t the defense get a couple stops vs Can’t the offense score rz tds

4 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Buff was young and inexperienced just like kc did getting knocked out by ne before they won it. Plus Reid is the dude

I agree.  Reid is dang good.  Hate that he is coaching in our division.  All we can do is hope he retires soon lol.  Buffalo will obviously be competitive for some time.  They have a very good roster.  Just need Josh Allen to take it up a notch in the playoffs.

6 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

If only the defense wasn't terrible vs if only the offense was perfect

I had a Captain (Navy) I used to work for who told me a story once.  He had an Admiral call him about his command's moral.  The command's personnel took a survey and ranked how they felt about different aspects of the command.  For the most part the moral of the command was through the roof, except for 2-3 things (traffic, long hours, etc.).  The Captain told the Admiral what he planned on doing to fix those 2-3 things, then the Admiral asked him what he was going to do to make things even better than they already were (work environment, comradery, etc.).  The Captain told the Admiral nothing, that it would be a waste of resources and time to try to make things go from great to perfect and that it was much easier to focus on the 2-3 things that clearly needed addressing.  Of course the Admiral didn't like the response but to me it made sense. 

People complaining about the offense reminds me of this story from roughly 4 years ago.  Why try to take something from great to perfect (really hard to do) when you have problems that clearly need addressing and should be extremely easy to fix?  Just a waste of time and resources IMO.

7 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

If only the defense wasn't terrible vs if only the offense was perfect

Not looking for perfect. Looking for improvement. 

They were not a great offensive team. They had real trouble in the red zone and in fizzled in the second half of the season. In my opinion, they were above average and need to turn it up a notch to be a consistently great offense. 

They stand to lose a RT and a G. As well as their top WR. So maybe we don't just assume there isn't some concern hear going forward. 

Everyone acting like they will simply translate the success over to 2021. What if they slide back to a middle of the pack offense? Even if the defense improves to middle of the pack, they still will be stuck on the outside looking in.

4 minutes ago, Jerry said:

People complaining about the offense reminds me of this story from roughly 4 years ago.  Why try to take something from great to perfect (really hard to do) when you have problems that clearly need addressing and should be extremely easy to fix?  Just a waste of time and resources IMO.

people expect more from the offense because we were built to be an offensive-led team. we hired a supposed offensive guru as head coach. look at how we've spent our money over the years. we've actually drafted pretty decently on that side of the ball lately as opposed to the defense. when you invest so much into one side of the ball, and the best you can hope to get out of that investment is pretty good not great - yeah that's disapointing and deserves to be spoken on. it's like if we were the Ravens who put most of their money into their defense. they expect an elite defense and they got one. we have an offense that can move the ball in-between the 20s, struggles in rz, kicks too many fgs, slows down in December.

We are probably going to lose Algholor this off-season, which I'm fine with. It will be paramount for Carr to develop chemistry with Ruggs/Edwards. He's shown he can get it done with veteran one year flyers guys like Crabtree/NA/Waller. Can he help develop and instill confidence in a young guy like Ruggs.

19 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

people expect more from the offense because we were built to be an offensive-led team. we hired a supposed offensive guru as head coach. look at how we've spent our money over the years. we've actually drafted pretty decently on that side of the ball lately as opposed to the defense. when you invest so much into one side of the ball, and the best you can hope to get out of that investment is pretty good not great - yeah that's disapointing and deserves to be spoken on. it's like if we were the Ravens who put most of their money into their defense. they expect an elite defense and they got one. we have an offense that can move the ball in-between the 20s, struggles in rz, kicks too many fgs, slows down in December.

We are probably going to lose Algholor this off-season, which I'm fine with. It will be paramount for Carr to develop chemistry with Ruggs/Edwards. He's shown he can get it done with veteran one year flyers guys like Crabtree/NA/Waller. Can he help develop and instill confidence in a young guy like Ruggs.

We talk about how we've invested so much and I get it.  But 30M sat on the sidelines (T. Williams, T. Brown, Incognito).  I could understand if that 30M was on the field and we were middle of the pack.  But we essentially took a team with 1st and 2nd year players all over (Jacobs, Ruggs, Renfrow, Moreau, Edwards), and a FA WR and OG/OT (Agholor and Good) and still ended the season top 10 in scoring.  Half our offense was in either their first or second year on the team and we ended the season in the top 10.  I'm thrilled and extremely excited about the offenses future.  Jacobs, Renfrow, Ruggs, Edwards, and Moreau should all be even better next year.  We have the ability now to replace our RT and add an upgrade over Agholor and get into the top 5 in scoring next season.  I don't understand how anyone could expect more when Gruden is in his 3rd season, has 3 1st/2nd year WRs, a 2nd year RB, and 2 starting OL go down and still end up in the top 10 in scoring.  That's good.  Really good IMO.  

Again, 30M worth of players essentially sat out the entire season.  We can easily fix that (cut them) and improve overnight with FA and the draft.

6 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Again, 30M worth of players essentially sat out the entire season.  We can easily fix that (cut them) and improve overnight with FA and the draft.

You're looking just at last year, but as ive brought up previously we've been 2nd in offensive spending almost every year since 2017. I'm looking at the whole picture. We have been built to be an offense-first team led by Carr and it hasn't paid off, although last year was a good step in the right direction.

It will be interesting to see if we do cut the dead weight and where we choose to invest that money. I've seen some on clamoring for A. Robinson, I think that money absolutely needs to go to the defense. We need to be a better balanced team. 

Can Carr continue to function at a high level with potentially 3 new staters on Oline and at #1 WR? Can he develop chemistry with a young player outside of Renfrow? Or will we have to spend that money on Allen Robinson, Godwin, JuJu etc instead of the defense. Next few months will be very interesting.

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

I had a Captain (Navy) I used to work for who told me a story once.  He had an Admiral call him about his command's moral.  The command's personnel took a survey and ranked how they felt about different aspects of the command.  For the most part the moral of the command was through the roof, except for 2-3 things (traffic, long hours, etc.).  The Captain told the Admiral what he planned on doing to fix those 2-3 things, then the Admiral asked him what he was going to do to make things even better than they already were (work environment, comradery, etc.).  The Captain told the Admiral nothing, that it would be a waste of resources and time to try to make things go from great to perfect and that it was much easier to focus on the 2-3 things that clearly needed addressing.  Of course the Admiral didn't like the response but to me it made sense. 

I see the offense as good moving towards being great. You can’t be great kicking as many short fgs as we did. Maybe we just have different standards. 

3 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I see the offense as good moving towards being great. You can’t be great kicking as many short fgs as we did. Maybe we just have different standards. 

Maybe I see the 29th ranked defense as a bigger problem than us kicking short FGs with the top 10 scoring offense.

50 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Exactly look at Pitt they were undefeated lost in the playoffs and are still looking to move on from Ben 

-det moving on from Stafford 

-gb drafted a 1st round qb with arod

mediocre is too close to losing We’ve been losing so long some of us think 8-8 is winning 

3 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

You're looking just at last year, but as ive brought up previously we've been 2nd in offensive spending almost every year since 2017. I'm looking at the whole picture. We have been built to be an offense-first team led by Carr and it hasn't paid off, although last year was a good step in the right direction.

It will be interesting to see if we do cut the dead weight and where we choose to invest that money. I've seen some on clamoring for A. Robinson, I think that money absolutely needs to go to the defense. We need to be a better balanced team. 

Can Carr continue to function at a high level with potentially 3 new staters on Oline and at #1 WR? Can he develop chemistry with a young player outside of Renfrow? Or will we have to spend that money on Allen Robinson, Godwin, JuJu etc instead of the defense. Next few months will be very interesting.

Well Trent Brown has missed half the games over the last two seasons.  We didn't have any WR depth 2 seasons ago either.  T. Williams played injured most the season as well.  I can't even remember our other WRs other than Williams and Renfrow.  They were nobodies from what I can recall.  

I completely believe DC will be fine with new starters on the OL.  He was when Good went to RT and we had Simpson playing LG.  He was fine when Good played LG and we had trash at RT.  I'm fine with all 30M going towards defense.  I'm also fine with 12 going to a #1 WR and 18 going to two new defensive starters.  

And him developing chemistry with Edwards and Ruggs goes both ways.  Is Ruggs going to take another step in the right direction.  Will Edwards elevate his understanding of the playbook and warrant more time on the field?  Hopefully our WRs continue to improve.  Its up to Ruggs to improve his cutting ability and to run all of his routes at full speed.  Mayock and Gruden clearly noticed he wasn't doing that during the season which is irritating.

3 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Exactly look at Pitt they were undefeated lost in the playoffs and are still looking to move on from Ben 

-det moving on from Stafford 

-gb drafted a 1st round qb with arod

mediocre is too close to losing We’ve been losing so long some of us think 8-8 is winning 

Ben will be 39 this season and his cap hit is over 41M (with the upcoming season's cap dropping drastically).  DC is about to be 29 and his cap hit is just over 22M.  HUGE differences.  Detroit is garbage, their franchise is garbage.  They wasted Stafford.  Feel sorry for him.  I hope he goes to a QB needy team with all the pieces and has a chance for the SB honestly.  Green Bay drafted a 1st round QB and then went into the playoffs and didn't have the weapons needed to score against TB.  All terrible examples.  A good example is KC developing their entire team, signing and drafting superstars everywhere, and then moving on from Alex Smith to Patrick Mahomes to go from contender to champion.  I'd rather be KC than those teams.  We need to sign and draft superstars like KC, see if DC can do it, and if he can't, then find our Mahomes.