Week 14 Prospect Talk

rackcs

2 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Jaelan Phillips is a stud.

Not sure how he isn’t in the 1st round in mock drafts. He doesn’t lack anything. He was a 5* recruit. Plays very hard. Incredibly productive. His only thing is being a 1-year wonder. He’s been spectacular this year. 

28 minutes ago, QBIso said:

Not sure how he isn’t in the 1st round in mock drafts. He doesn’t lack anything. He was a 5* recruit. Plays very hard. Incredibly productive. His only thing is being a 1-year wonder. He’s been spectacular this year. 

Didn't he medically retire for a period of time due to injury (possibly concussion) issues? That might weigh on some teams.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, QBIso said:

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Didn't he medically retire for a period of time due to injury (possibly concussion) issues? That might weigh on some teams.

Was gonna say this. Medicals are going to be absolutely huge for him.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Jaelan Phillips is a stud.

Yeah he and Roche easily make the best DE combo in the nation arguably, and that is without Gregory Rousseau on the DL, think how great they would be as a unit if he was playing as well.  They are already one of the best DLs with this group and would be even more dominant with Rosseau.

Is awesome to see Phillips do well, his hand usage has greatly improved, on UCLA he was a massive disappointment even before the injury issues.  He will be off to the NFL no question after this season I feel.

Would have loved to see Pitt with Twyman combined with Jones who has done great this year and Weaver.  They would have been up there as a DL unit and still are arguably even without Twyman inside.

18 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Yeah he and Roche easily make the best DE combo in the nation arguably, and that is without Gregory Rousseau on the DL, think how great they would be as a unit if he was playing as well.  They are already one of the best DLs with this group and would be even more dominant with Rosseau.

Is awesome to see Phillips do well, his hand usage has greatly improved, on UCLA he was a massive disappointment even before the injury issues.  He will be off to the NFL no question after this season I feel

Rousseau participated in spring practice. After watching both of them on the same field for a week or so there was a Canes insider who matter of factly emphasized that Phillips was a far superior athlete to Rousseau, that his upside was so much higher that it basically wasn't worth discussion and already consensus within the program. I can't find the link now but I posted it on several sites including the draft forum of Finheaven. The guy who posted it is very well respected and not prone to hyperbole. 

4 hours ago, Awsi Dooger said:

Rousseau participated in spring practice. After watching both of them on the same field for a week or so there was a Canes insider who matter of factly emphasized that Phillips was a far superior athlete to Rousseau, that his upside was so much higher that it basically wasn't worth discussion and already consensus within the program. I can't find the link now but I posted it on several sites including the draft forum of Finheaven. The guy who posted it is very well respected and not prone to hyperbole. 

Spring Practice, that is interesting but I doubt that spring practice was much of anything based on the current situation.  Rousseau is currently a RS SOPH, played basically only one year last season as a RS FR and is obviously not played this season.  He showed just as much potential as Phillips had and Phillips has now been in college football this being his fourth year, that is four years of physical and mental development.  Sure Phillips maybe looks just as good now but I assume the development from Rosseau if he would have played this year and into the future he should be the better player.  

Rousseau is a little taller is he not, 6-7 but maybe that is a lie.  Phillips has bigger hands and a bigger base, and maybe Rousseau benefited last year because not many knew much about him early and he rushed inside a lot and took advantage of slower guards.  Still would have been great to see them together, great to see Phillips playing with a high motor and being active out there compared to his early career where he could not get off blocks at all despite his huge size.

It will be interesting where Rousseau gets picked, he seemed very quick last year I thought, agile and could get off blocks and I assume over time will only get better.  Maybe Phillips goes ahead of him in the draft but I doubt it.  Most likely Carlos Basham and Patrick Jones go ahead of Phillips as well but will see.  

On 12/6/2020 at 8:30 AM, Ozzy said:

Is awesome to see Phillips do well, his hand usage has greatly improved, on UCLA he was a massive disappointment even before the injury issues.  He will be off to the NFL no question after this season I feel.

Would have loved to see Pitt with Twyman combined with Jones who has done great this year and Weaver.  They would have been up there as a DL unit and still are arguably even without Twyman inside.

I was kinda hoping Phillips stayed up under the radar, I was looking at him to be a high upside developmental guy in the 4th round like (Josh Sweat) who can come in and not have to have any expectations early but could pay dividends later in the year. So much for that.....

As far as Twyman, thats my guy, I would have loved to watch him and that whole DLine against Clemson, Same with Rousseau, both those guys probably would be take games over good if they played.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, gohogs14 said:

Treylon Burks had a monster game. Glad he's finally getting decent QB play after last year.

He has been great this year, could be a lock 1st round pick in 2022 possibly.  Awesome talent with a great combo of size and speed.  

7 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I was kinda hoping Phillips stayed up under the radar, I was looking at him to be a high upside developmental guy in the 4th round like (Josh Sweat) who can come in and not have to have any expectations early but could pay dividends later in the year. So much for that.....

As far as Twyman, thats my guy, I would have loved to watch him and that whole DLine against Clemson, Same with Rousseau, both those guys probably would be take games over good if they played.

Yeah I do not know why Twyman sat out, he could have solidified himself as the #1 DT no question about it.    Yeah Phillips I think should be no question gone by the 2nd round but maybe 1st rounder but kind of doubt 1st round with him but will see.  Rousseau is most likely the first DL taken but will see how he works out.  

Basham has played well but not sure he would be picked over Rousseau and Ojulari on Georgia could be a 1st rounder maybe as a 3/4 OLB but not sure he would be picked over Rousseau either.  And honestly Marvin Wilson is the only competition for Twyman at DT and he has not been anything amazing this year, kind of been disappointed the few times I saw him play.

There is not many top level DTs in the entire country, not many have stood out.  Bryan Bresee is an elite prospect though that is for sure, Christian Barmore has absolutely elite potential but he could end up being a 3/4 DE but could play DT in a 4/3 possibly.  He has a high ceiling and if he went out for the draft I could see him maybe sneaking into the 1st round because it is such a lack luster group.  Khyiris Tonga and Lorenzo Neal are good but both will be picked higher than they should possibly just because there are not many others out there, and both are probably more a NT especially Tonga.