2020 Coaching Carousel Thread

JammerHammer21

On 12/6/2020 at 10:17 AM, MikeT14 said:

Gonna be a lot of Hokies upset South Carolina got Shane. I'm sure a lot of SC fans aren't going to be happy. It's going to take a lot, but here's the deal imo.

Shane will need to get a good OC and DC, but he has the connections to do so. He's also a GREAT recruiter, and will work his butt off. I think this is an interesting hire, and honestly could pay off. 

I think with Napier turning them down, he was probably the best option. He is reportedly the person most responsible for the recruiting that set up the golden age of SC football. If he pulls a strong staff, it'll be clear that he's respected. If he doesn't, well, that'll speak volumes too. But the former players really went to bat for him.

2 hours ago, Texasmade said:

They should be prepared to move on Matt Campbell should the Urban Meyer chase inevitably fall short. Although I’m somewhat dubious he’d take the job with Penn State and Michigan on the fritz, and Ryan Day supposedly flirting with the NFL. All things being equal I think he’d rather stay in the Midwest and of 2 of the 3 best jobs in the region have a better than average chance of opening up in next year or two, with the 3rd possibly having a chance as well (although admittedly I dunno how serious the Day-NFL stuff actually is). 

Then again, bird in hand and what not, and this particular bird would come with a hefty pay raise, so there’s that too.

If I were Campbell, I'd jump on that Texas job. There's no guarantee OSU opens up. Texas is better than Michigan and Penn State, even if you do have to deal with a lot of obnoxious boosters.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I think with Napier turning them down, he was probably the best option. He is reportedly the person most responsible for the recruiting that set up the golden age of SC football. If he pulls a strong staff, it'll be clear that he's respected. If he doesn't, well, that'll speak volumes too. But the former players really went to bat for him.

If I were Campbell, I'd jump on that Texas job. There's no guarantee OSU opens up. Texas is better than Michigan and Penn State, even if you do have to deal with a lot of obnoxious boosters.

Don’t disagree but he’s supposedly he’s wired a little differently and being a mid west lifer isn’t an unimportant detail. Plus it’s not like a Texas offer is going be financially more lucrative than what Michigan would be offering. 

1 hour ago, JammerHammer21 said:

BERT! BERT! BERT!

I don't see Monken being a fit in the P5 if he is bringing the triple-option with him.  That experiment should already be considered dead and buried after Paul Johnson's failure at Georgia Tech.  It wouldn't surprise me if Tom Manning waits to see what Matt Campbell does before he decides to leave Iowa State.