2020 Coaching Carousel Thread

JammerHammer21

7 minutes ago, JammerHammer21 said:

He performed heart surgery on Fisch? Very interested to see what this staff looks like since Jedd has some Michigan ties.

Would be a solid soft landing spot for Ben McDaniels as a QB or WR coach. They weren’t at Michigan at the same time but it looks like they’ve had a lot of similar stops in the NFL/college just a couple years apart so there may be some familiarity. 

2 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Why? He has applied and interviewed for every job in the PAC-12 that’s come open and hasn’t been hired. He has a pretty good record at Boise but not as good as the coaches before him. His players don’t like him. Boise was okay with him going (and he’s from there). He’s not a recruiting master or genius coach, he’s just okay at both. I don’t see how this ends up well for Auburn.

i don’t know whether it’ll work out or not but he’s not 5-19 or 9-36 like chizik or steele. he’s not a proven ****up like freeze or sark. he hasn’t instantly turned auburn to a joke like kiffin. he isn’t near the bottom of his conference in recruiting like bill clark.

at least on paper it’s not as good of a hire as cristobal or napier would’ve been but considering the other options being rumored last night there isn’t much to complain about. he obviously has some questions to answer about recruiting the southeast and coaching against more talented teams on a semi consistent basis. but i would rather go into next year with those unknowns than cycling through the other names just because they’ve coached in the sec or “have ties” to the area.

i’d probably give it a b or b-

36 minutes ago, catcheryea said:

i don’t know whether it’ll work out or not but he’s not 5-19 or 9-36 like chizik or steele. he’s not a proven ****up like freeze or sark. he hasn’t instantly turned auburn to a joke like kiffin. he isn’t near the bottom of his conference in recruiting like bill clark.

at least on paper it’s not as good of a hire as cristobal or napier would’ve been but considering the other options being rumored last night there isn’t much to complain about. he obviously has some questions to answer about recruiting the southeast and coaching against more talented teams on a semi consistent basis. but i would rather go into next year with those unknowns than cycling through the other names just because they’ve coached in the sec or “have ties” to the area.

i’d probably give it a b or b-

I don’t disagree with this but do you think he’s gonna have a better record than Mahlzan? I don’t think so, and obviously Mahlzan’s record wasn’t good enough for y’all. 

letting go or Mahlzan without a replacement set (unless it was Steele lol) seems really dumb.

• Like 1

Knocking Harsin is fine.

Knocking Harsin as being less successful than Dan Hawkins and Chris Petersen without accounting for WAC vs MW success is probably not particularly sound. That requires a ton of context to be thrown out for the sake of raw W/L. 

Good hire by Auburn. Every hire is a gamble, but as @catcheryea he's a B or B- safe hire. He doesn't have glaring deficiencies, which is already an upgrade on many of the candidates that were linked.

36 minutes ago, Oregon Ducks said:

I don’t disagree with this but do you think he’s gonna have a better record than Mahlzan? I don’t think so, and obviously Mahlzan’s record wasn’t good enough for y’all. 

personally i’m not asking harsin and i never asked gus to turn auburn into bama or clemson and be in the playoff every year. but people seem to not understand that gus was at auburn for 8 years and in his last 7 years he lost 6 games, 5 games (thrice), and 4 games (thrice). i don’t think it’s unreasonable or unrealistic to want to go 10-2 or 9-3 the majority of the time with the occasional sec championship and playoff berth. 

also i think the way gus lost games was really what did him in. he lost to a horrible south carolina team, which was definitely a yearly occurrence. and in the 3 games against uga, bama, and a&m the offense spent 9 quarters ****ting in their helmets. just beat the teams worse than you and keep the rivalries close enough. gus was also 0-12 in away games at uga, bama, and lsu with most of those being blowouts or blowing a big lead. i hope we can agree that’s pretty unacceptable.

all that said if he beat minnesota last year and south carolina he might still have his job

37 minutes ago, Oregon Ducks said:

letting go or Mahlzan without a replacement set (unless it was Steele lol) seems really dumb.

yes absolutely it was dumb as hell

4 hours ago, winitall said:

Would be a solid soft landing spot for Ben McDaniels as a QB or WR coach. They weren’t at Michigan at the same time but it looks like they’ve had a lot of similar stops in the NFL/college just a couple years apart so there may be some familiarity. 

Why would anyone want to work for a guy who’s never been a HC, stayed at one job for more than two years or just took over a terrible situation where whatever talent left is transferring?

7 hours ago, JammerHammer21 said:

The supposed comment from Harbaugh to/about Day was a private call that got leaked lol

It was the Big10 coaches conference call, how private are those lol information from those calls lead to plenty of articles with the juicey stuff being Harbs Running his mouth. With articles getting some Word for word statements made from the call. So that right there Doesn’t seem Private at all

9 minutes ago, buno67 said:

It was the Big10 coaches conference call, how private are those lol information from those calls lead to plenty of articles with the juicey stuff being Harbs Running his mouth. With articles getting some Word for word statements made from the call. So that right there Doesn’t seem Private at all

lol the origin is literally from Bucknuts and Biddle says it's a private call. Given that they're the ones reporting on it, probably have to take their exact characterization with a hefty grain of salt, even if I can believe something did happen on their call.

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state/board/120/Contents/vip-intel-what-really-happened-on-the-b1g-call-w-dayharbaugh-149878118/

Edited by JammerHammer21