Ron Parker and the Safties

onejayhawk

1 hour ago, mayanfootball said:

Glad you polished your crystal ball.

Advertisers use "quality" as a 'noun' to trick listeners into hearing "good quality", but fail to disclose reality means "poor quality". Berry is top shelf good quality, Parker less so, with Murray, Sorensen far behind. They're NOT all "good quality".

KC's deep coverage was pitiful against Houston. Our poor safety play led to two TD's and made a blowout appear closer than it really was. Losing Berry only made it more clear to me that KC needs to draft help (or sign FA) at safety.

Oh yes, I agree about Gaines. We need to draft a CB. It's a shame we didn't last draft. It was a supreme CB draft and we had many picks. After Hunt, there were still good CB's left that we passed on.

Parker missed by inches on the deep catch by Hopkins and the deep catch by their TE. And few WRs make the play that Hopkins did. The one to Fuller was caught on Mitchell and Mitchell was similarly close. Those aren't bad plays by Parker or by Mitchell. Sometimes a perfectly placed pass and a perfect jump by a receiver just can't be stopped. It's unlikely that happens again.

Seriously watch safety play around the league and you'll see how lucky we are. We're complaining about Parker not being able to jump as well as Hopkins. Around the league safeties are blowing coverages leaving guys like Hopkins running downfield wide open. Our guys had good coverage. They played each play right. They were just slightly off on the jump. That doesn't justify replacing them.

Berry is elite. Top 5 safety in the league. Parker is an above average starter, honestly. Top 20 or 25 in the league, at a position that starts 64 players with around 96 seeing a lot of playing time. Sorensen is probably the best #3 safety in the league. And Murray is mostly a coverage guy, not a run defender, but he has handled some serious challenges really well so far. If you don't notice him on the screen much yet this year, it's because his coverage has been excellent. He handled Reed when he was on the field against Washington, and Henry against the Chargers.

Even if you're lower on every single one of these players I am, I don't know what you're watching to think they'd be a premium need in the immediate future. This position is far better off for the future than ILB (DJ still aging), NT (Logan on a one year deal), WR (Conlely still wasn't really producing), OT (neither Fisher or Schwartz have been terribly impressive this year), or CB (Gaines sucks.) Because seriously, who do you cut of our 4 safeties to keep an unproven rookie on? And how do you justify taking a guy that high that is unlikely to crack the playing time portion of the depth chart?

6 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Even if you're lower on every single one of these players I am, I don't know what you're watching to think they'd be a premium need in the immediate future. This position is far better off for the future than ILB (DJ still aging), NT (Logan on a one year deal), WR (Conlely still wasn't really producing), OT (neither Fisher or Schwartz have been terribly impressive this year), or CB (Gaines sucks.) Because seriously, who do you cut of our 4 safeties to keep an unproven rookie on? And how do you justify taking a guy that high that is unlikely to crack the playing time portion of the depth chart?

I'd say need priority is ILB>CB>S>NT>WR>OT And isn't it interesting that the top 4 needs are defense? Management has delivered the offense. Now let's fix the Defense.It can't all be via the draft. We spent all of our gold last draft, some of the next. and still need alot of help as you point out. (I'm not as worried about OT. It's the interior OL that's worrying me). So we need to use FA too.

Back to Safety. If Terrell isn't our man, he's cut first. Berry will have spent months rehabing his injuries and not playing. I hope we carried insurance on him because we spent a ton of money on him to play, and play at an elite level. I don't expect Berry will ever be the same. Hopefully i'm wrong, but look at DJ. He's lost 2 steps at least since coming back. If he can stay healthy (?) Berry is still better than Parker. Parker plays until replaced. I've seen enough of Sorensen and would keep Murray because he's younger. I just don't rate Sorensen as high as you and others do.

I've mentioned Eddie Jackson/Alabama. He fell to the 4th. round. Jackson could replace Sorensen in a heartbeat. He's starting now, right out of the gate. He can run defend and cover deep balls. Our scouting staff needs to get to their homework and find a similar player.

Just because Jackson is starting for the Bears means nothing. They had nobody else as it was. No he's not much if a run defender (converted corner) with an injury history to boot. Not gonna go get a whole scouting report or trash Jackson but to say that our scout Dept needs to do homework to get a guy like that when you didn't have him ironed out is a little silly imo. If Berry doesn't tear his Achilles, this isn't even much of a topic.

3 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

I'd say need priority is ILB>CB>S>NT>WR>OT And isn't it interesting that the top 4 needs are defense? Management has delivered the offense. Now let's fix the Defense.It can't all be via the draft. We spent all of our gold last draft, some of the next. and still need alot of help as you point out. (I'm not as worried about OT. It's the interior OL that's worrying me). So we need to use FA too.

Back to Safety. If Terrell isn't our man, he's cut first. Berry will have spent months rehabing his injuries and not playing. I hope we carried insurance on him because we spent a ton of money on him to play, and play at an elite level. I don't expect Berry will ever be the same. Hopefully i'm wrong, but look at DJ. He's lost 2 steps at least since coming back. If he can stay healthy (?) Berry is still better than Parker. Parker plays until replaced. I've seen enough of Sorensen and would keep Murray because he's younger. I just don't rate Sorensen as high as you and others do.

I've mentioned Eddie Jackson/Alabama. He fell to the 4th. round. Jackson could replace Sorensen in a heartbeat. He's starting now, right out of the gate. He can run defend and cover deep balls. Our scouting staff needs to get to their homework and find a similar player.

Terrell started the season on the practice squad. He was not on the 53 man roster until Berry was hurt.

So again, who of Berry, Parker, Sorensen, and Murray do you cut to get a rookie on the roster?

34 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Just because Jackson is starting for the Bears means nothing.

? Huh? He's an Alabama alumni so he's pro-ready. He was a 1st.rd. pick before he got hurt.

No he's not much if a run defender

? Huh? He played Safety at Alabama because he can.

to say that our scout Dept needs to do homework to get a guy like that when you didn't have him ironed out is a little silly imo.

What's silly about "Scouting" performing due diligence to fill an identified need?

If Berry doesn't tear his Achilles, this isn't even much of a topic.

But he did and so it is relevant to what can the Chiefs expect going forward.

4 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

So again, who of Berry, Parker, Sorensen, and Murray do you cut to get a rookie on the roster?

Please read my response previously posted above. (Did you? Hint, it's Sorensen). I've also previously stated that we could go either the FA or draft route. It doesn't have to be just the draft. A post-season review of player availability should be on management's "to-do" list.

• 2 weeks later...

This seems the place to post some recent thoughts.

Watching  the last few games has convinced me we need serious DB help via the draft and FA. It’s also reinforced my belief that Bob Sutton needs to go.

Look at how Houston's Deshaun Watson completed all those deep balls late. Our guys were not in position to make plays. Nobody seems to know how to take proper angles to tackle the receiver or to get in position to make a play on the ball. Everyone seems to have forgotten how to tackle (particularly Sorensen).

I got frustrated in the Oakland game (I didn't get to watch Pittsburgh) just watching the DB’s a lot. Late 1st. qtr forward, I made the following observations:

Sorensen: blown coverage/2; missed tackles/3; failed "ball strip"/1

Murray: blown coverage/1; holding/”postgame”

Parker: blown coverage/1; missed tackle/1; failed ball “punchout”/1; holding/2, (one,”postgame”)

Peters: blown coverage/2 (one on 47yd. pass interference)

Gaines: blown coverage/3

So as much as I’ll blame Sutton for how he deploys his defense, I also blame the players for not properly executing.  Sorensen has no business playing  Safety. Parker and Murray uses their hands too much. Parker struggles to tackle. Gaines needs to be benched, period. Peters needs to quit protesting pre-game and get his head on straight. His forcus and concentration are lacking.

Curiously, I don’t have issues with Mitchell. He gets the lions share of QB abuse directed at him, but isn’t wilting under the pressure.

Feel free to add your observations +/- to the above.

3 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

So as much as I’ll blame Sutton for how he deploys his defense, I also blame the players for not properly executing.  Sorensen has no business playing  Safety. Parker and Murray uses their hands too much. Parker struggles to tackle. Gaines needs to be benched, period. Peters needs to quit protesting pre-game and get his head on straight. His forcus and concentration are lacking.

Curiously, I don’t have issues with Mitchell. He gets the lions share of QB abuse directed at him, but isn’t wilting under the pressure.

Feel free to add your observations +/- to the above.

I'll agree with all of this, minus not playing Sorensen.   Need, fresh blood is needed in the secondary though.  This secondary reminds me of a couple years ago, playing soft to prevent the big play.   It's schemed in to prevent the big play, because we don't trust the talent level.   

I'm still a fan of Murray, he's had his rough spots, but I still like him in the 3rd safety role over the TE.   Even Berry struggled in this role early on in his career.   It's a tough position to play, and it's what made Husain Abdullah extremely important in our defense.   

CB play, I think will be improved once Nelson gets back.   (assuming we quit playing this soft cushion BS with Peters).   But again, yes young talent will need to be addressed this offseason.   

ILB

CB

OLB

S

Would be nice to add young talent at all of those positions this offseason.  For the remainder of the season,  we just need to quit with the cushions and stop playing soft soft.

33 minutes ago, samsel23 said:
4 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

I'll agree with all of this, minus not playing Sorensen. 

Sorensen must play up close to the LOS. He's just not a safety. He's quick, but there's no speed to recover or get to deep balls. And his tackling is suspect. Play Sorensen at LB but do so at your own risk.

I'm still a fan of Murray, he's had his rough spots, but I still like him in the 3rd safety role over the TE. 

I'm willing to watch Murray some more. But I also realize he's undersized and is dwarfed by most of today's TE's making his job so very difficult. He can get "handsy" when in trouble.

So why  is it when you have a unique QB, and they will say well hes amazing when you build your team and scheme around this QB.  We all have heard that too many times, so what about our D, yea its amazing when you have Berry and DJ is the old DJ but we don't have that anymore.  So adjust your scheme or pack your bags Sutton.  Figure it out man, your wasting a possible SB window.

4 hours ago, valkrei said:

So why  is it when you have a unique QB, and they will say well hes amazing when you build your team and scheme around this QB.  We all have heard that too many times, so what about our D, yea its amazing when you have Berry and DJ is the old DJ but we don't have that anymore.  So adjust your scheme or pack your bags Sutton.  Figure it out man, your wasting a possible SB window.

I've said it before, but our strong offense masks how bad the defense really is. It's been allowed to age and breakdown at the expense of improving the offense. The heart of our 3-4 is NT and LB's. We got Logan as a loaner. But our LB's are a shambles. Ford runs hot/cold. Houston is breaking down. DJ and Hali are already broken down. Put Berry (team leader) on the sideline and this is what we've got. Sutton's got a puke'n job to do and I almost pity him. Management put us in this "fine mess Ollie".

If I was Sutton, I'd play some of the younger guys. Tanoh Kpass is strong and can collapse the pocket on one side. Sutton needs to blitz more. Last night's MNF showed both teams pressuring with 5 or more guys. Are you taking notes Bob? Get a little creative and stop giving up huge cushions to the WR's. Maybe then our safeties will play more alert. Stop putting in new stuff and "KISS". Use practice time to go over tackling fundamentals because Lord we need it.

On 10/23/2017 at 4:10 PM, valkrei said:

so whats the deal with sean smith currently with the raiders? He just suck now or bad placement?

Mixed bag. I've kind of followed his Raiders stint by reading the Raider forum here. I posted when they signed him there, listing all the ways Sean Smith should and shouldn't be used for him to be great. They've more or less used him all the ways he shouldn't be. Too much cover 1 or cover 3. No safety help against speedsters. Not letting him press consistently against the bigger ones.

But, the times they have used him right he still hasn't exactly been good.

Archived