Week 13 - GDT - Saints (9-2) @ Falcons (4-7)

Mid Iowa

We're seeing a lot of improvement by Taysom Hill week over week. Considering this is only his 3rd start as a pro, I think his play was respectable. There were a few bonehead moves, but just a few.

Get Armstead back in, get our defense back to healthy, and we're in pretty good shape.

17 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

We're seeing a lot of improvement by Taysom Hill week over week. Considering this is only his 3rd start as a pro, I think his play was respectable. There were a few bonehead moves, but just a few.

Get Armstead back in, get our defense back to healthy, and we're in pretty good shape.

And stop fumbling.

• Like 2

Overall I thought there were positive signs.

I thought Hill looked his best as a starting QB. He's going through his progressions and once he got into rhythm he looked good. His issues now are experience related imo. For example, Brees will get rid of the ball if there is nothing there. Hill tries to make something out of nothing. That's going to come with time. We should also rest Brees next game. I know he can be taken off IR, but I think it makes sense to give him an extra week of rest against a team we should win. His health is going to be paramount.

Defense. Oooh boy. Lattimore had a horrid day. We were down both CB2 and CB3 and it showed. Pass rush missed Davenport. We can't have this level of performance against the Chiefs, Vikings or Panthers. With how close the records are for teams behind us, we really need to get healthy and win out or hope that teams start dropping games.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Canadian Saint said:

Overall I thought there were positive signs.

I thought Hill looked his best as a starting QB. He's going through his progressions and once he got into rhythm he looked good. His issues now are experience related imo. For example, Brees will get rid of the ball if there is nothing there. Hill tries to make something out of nothing. That's going to come with time. We should also rest Brees next game. I know he can be taken off IR, but I think it makes sense to give him an extra week of rest against a team we should win. His health is going to be paramount.

Defense. Oooh boy. Lattimore had a horrid day. We were down both CB2 and CB3 and it showed. Pass rush missed Davenport. We can't have this level of performance against the Chiefs, Vikings or Panthers. With how close the records are for teams behind us, we really need to get healthy and win out or hope that teams start dropping games.

Taysom looked better this week for sure.  Still a lot of room to improve, we likely would have lost these games had they been against good teams.  That makes at least four times this year Taysom has fumbled in the 4th quarter, and he’s only started 3 games.  At this point it’s a serious flaw in his game that will get us beat against better teams.

7 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Taysom looked better this week for sure.  Still a lot of room to improve, we likely would have lost these games had they been against good teams.  That makes at least four times this year Taysom has fumbled in the 4th quarter, and he’s only started 3 games.  At this point it’s a serious flaw in his game that will get us beat against better teams.

I think that's one of the reasons I'm not a huge fan of the designed QB run plays. Defenses have really zeroed in on the fact that he's prone to fumbling the ball when he turns the corner. Teams are going for it there. You're right against good teams that would have been an L. I think we can rest Brees for one more week as we should beat the rudderless Eagles, but after that he has to start.

2 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

With how close the records are for teams behind us, we really need to get healthy and win out or hope that teams start dropping games.

The Giants just handed us a little cushion over the Seahawks. Unfortunately the Eagles are looking unable to do the same with Green Bay.

Just now, Jlowe22 said:

I guess the Eagles will all of a sudden not be trash now that Wentz is benched.  Excellent timing right before we play them in game 3 of a 3 game road stretch.

Tbh I'm glad we'll have some tape on Hurts. Lets us prepare for both. They are still a trash team, so we should beat them quite handidly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

It'd be nice if he could return in a gimme game to knock the rust off first.  Oh well.

It would be an ideal time for the Broncos game lol.

I think he could probably play next weekend, but I think Payton opts to rest him for one extra week and get him preparing for the Chiefs. Let his ribs and lungs fully heal so he's not just getting through the season.

1 minute ago, Canadian Saint said:

It would be an ideal time for the Broncos game lol.

I think he could probably play next weekend, but I think Payton opts to rest him for one extra week and get him preparing for the Chiefs. Let his ribs and lungs fully heal so he's not just getting through the season.

Yea, it's the smart thing to do.  We've already clinched a playoff spot, and if we can't beat the Eagles, 1 seed is out of the question anyway.

Glad we came away with the win today, but it was certainly made closer than it had to be by some late boneheaded plays/play calls. Those last few drives were infuriating.

Why not just run Kamara inside the 15, he is about as consistent as they come in the entire league when he is near the goal line instead we tried to pass and Taysom Hill fumbled yet again, which let Atlanta back into the game. Then later in the 4th quarter. we keep running with Hill instead of just using our RB's and he fumbled again. We lucked out it went out of bounds on that one. His errors in the 4th quarter nearly erased a solid performance up until that point, obviously Hill has to take better care of the ball, but at the end of the day, Payton has to do better there too.

• Like 1