Week 13 - GDT - Saints (9-2) @ Falcons (4-7)

Mid Iowa

Taysom had a couple of passes today that would've been completions if Drew was playing. Drew is so great at throwing the crossing route over the defenders head and Taysom just doesn't know how to do that yet. He also had a few passes that should've been intercepted as well as some awful fumbles. He really needs to learn to just throw the ball away. That being said, I thought he played well. He was a weapon on the ground and he was accurate on most of his throws. I think we could get away with playing him next week against the Eagles, but I don't think we have a chance to beat the Chiefs with Taysom at QB. 

As for the defense... we missed Davenport and Jenkins badly. Jenkins has been our best corner all year and Davenport makes our pass rush elite when he's out there. I thought Kwon had a great game outside of the TD he allowed. He's continuing to be a great fit in our defense alongside Davis. Lattimore was awful. He got cooked no matter who they put on him. Our entire secondary didn't play well outside of Willams today. Lots of penalties and getting beaten anytime we were in man coverage. Very sloppy game, but they didn't break at the end and managed to get some stops when the offense was making mistakes. 

Overall it was a solid win against a division opponent. The game shouldn't have been as close as it was due to sloppy mistakes and penalties; both of which need to be fixed going forward if we want to be a Superbowl team. 

Our defense played really well. I mean...they gave up one TD. We can't be too hard on them. And just about all of the scoring drives were set up by pretty unbelievable plays between Ryan and Ridley...tough to defend perfect pass/catch. 

Hill played well yesterday. Yes...there was the fumble, but I fault playcalling more than Hill in that situation. It was a bang-bang fumble with Hill being a split second away from getting it off and avoiding both the sack and the fumble. The Saints special teams is probably the biggest concern right now. Morstead is a shell of the prior Morstead, Lutz has been increasingly inconsistent, and boy do they need Harris back out there...though Lewis did play ok.

I give the defense more of a pass for this game.  With so many people out it was hard to properly create a game plan against the Falcons to compensate.  If we were missing either Jenkins or Davenport then we could've either sent an additional blitzer or add an additional defender to help in the secondary based on who was missing but with both out you couldn't do either consistently without risking a high chance of getting burnt consistently.

The offense of course still had some struggles but didn't look as bad as last week, probably due to a larger gameplan other than just don't lose it for us.  I think we can easily beat the Eagles but the KC game will be difficult regardless.  I'm just hoping they can get through the Eagles games with few/no injuries so that everyone will be back on the field and healthy for the Chiefs game if we want any chance at winning.

19 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Our defense played really well. I mean...they gave up one TD. We can't be too hard on them. And just about all of the scoring drives were set up by pretty unbelievable plays between Ryan and Ridley...tough to defend perfect pass/catch. 

Hill played well yesterday. Yes...there was the fumble, but I fault playcalling more than Hill in that situation. It was a bang-bang fumble with Hill being a split second away from getting it off and avoiding both the sack and the fumble. The Saints special teams is probably the biggest concern right now. Morstead is a shell of the prior Morstead, Lutz has been increasingly inconsistent, and boy do they need Harris back out there...though Lewis did play ok.

The fumbles are still a concern, but let's not pretend that Brees hasn't had fumbling problems of his own in the past, granted those came from his short stature and having his arm hit before it started going forward but it's still there.  Hill just needs to be a little more focused when running with the ball and really tuck it in there and he'll be fine.

Also what happened to Morstead?  Last year still a stud, this year... AHHH...

32 minutes ago, Raves said:

The fumbles are still a concern, but let's not pretend that Brees hasn't had fumbling problems of his own in the past, granted those came from his short stature and having his arm hit before it started going forward but it's still there.  Hill just needs to be a little more focused when running with the ball and really tuck it in there and he'll be fine.

Also what happened to Morstead?  Last year still a stud, this year... AHHH...

Yes, but Taysom is averaging over a fumble a game.  That’s a much bigger problem than the occasional Brees fumble.  And many or most of Taysoms fumbles have been in clutch moments.

• Like 3

It's hit & miss with Taysom. His long run yesterday would have been a check down, or throw into the dirt with Brees. And then the fumbles would have been a check down, or throw into the dirt with Brees. So you live by the sword, and die by the sword.

What is with Lattimore? He's been mediocre all year, and even most of last year. I'd like to see what his PPF ranking is and has been, because I'm guessing he's probably the 3rd or 4th best on our team right now. He is getting beat by everyone, all the time. And QB are starting to target him, so film is telling us he's FAR from what he was in year 1 & 2. Yet he'll demand a high salary, end up going to the Jets, and lead them to a Super bowl, or some silly s**t like that.

Considering we've been playing with a banged up crew, I like where we're at. We're still among the best, if not THE best team in the NFL. Our defense is really powerful, regardless of what we complain about, and our offense is really clicking, even with a perennial back-up at QB, injured receivers and running backs, and a constantly rotating offensive line.

We're spoiled, folks. This team is so good that we freak when we're playing below 95% of what we're capable of. 

51 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

Shoutout to Marcus Williams too. He's been super consistent after a volatile first 2-3 weeks. He's really improved and done pretty well.

Agreed. He still bites on underneath routes far too often and puts the corners in bad spots sometimes, but overall has been very good. I wonder if we'll be able to keep him for kind of cheap or if some team will shell out some outrageous amount of money for him. I think he's more valuable to the defense than Lattimore at this point and I would rather keep Williams on an affordable contract as opposed to giving Lattimore the bag. Key word: affordable. 

Edited by JMG5
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JMG5 said:

Agreed. He still bites on underneath routes far too often and puts the corners in bad spots sometimes, but overall has been very good. I wonder if we'll be able to keep him for kind of cheap or if some team will shell out some outrageous amount of money for him. I think he's more valuable to the defense than Lattimore at this point and I would rather keep Williams on an affordable contract as opposed to giving Lattimore the bag. Key word: affordable. 

I doubt it. I think we'll lose him due to the cap crunch and shell out for Lattimore and Ram. No brainer for the latter, iffy on Lattimore, but it's harder to find a CB1 than a FS. When Lattimore is on, that's what he is.

41 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

I doubt it. I think we'll lose him due to the cap crunch and shell out for Lattimore and Ram. No brainer for the latter, iffy on Lattimore, but it's harder to find a CB1 than a FS. When Lattimore is on, that's what he is.

Lattimore isn't worth the money for 2 good games a year. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

So are we considering Lattimore to be a CB1 now, because he's playing like a CB2 or 3. Gardner-Johnson is playing like a solid #2, and Jenkins is playing at a decent #2 or even #1 level. Even P-Rob has been playing as good as Lattimore.

Lattimore was burnt all day Sunday. Literally on everything. He caused disruption, but he was rarely, if ever, the cause of a pass breakup. 2 steps behind everyone.

Edited by Mid Iowa

So far this season: 
#1 - Lattimore has allowed 35 receptions on 55 targets. 64% allowed
#2 - Janoris Jenkins is at 27 receptions on 50 targets. 54% allowed
even Patrick Robinson is at 15 receptions on 23 targets. 65% allowed, and P-Rob has more picks on a fraction of the plays.
Free Safety - Gardner-Johnson is at 46 receptions on 67 targets. 68% allowed

So all in all, stats wise, Lattimore is just another CB

Edited by Mid Iowa

5 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

So far this season: 
#1 - Lattimore has allowed 35 receptions on 55 targets. 64% allowed
#2 - Janoris Jenkins is at 27 receptions on 50 targets. 54% allowed
even Patrick Robinson is at 15 receptions on 23 targets. 65% allowed, and P-Rob has more picks on a fraction of the plays.
Free Safety - Gardner-Johnson is at 46 receptions on 67 targets. 68% allowed

So all in all, stats wise, Lattimore is just another CB

I think Jenkins and Lattimore pull more difficult assignments on average so comparing them to the others isn't exactly fair.  At the same time Lattimore hasn't been as good as he was his first 2 years.  Seems like our DBs, especially those that come from Ohio State, end up shining for the first 2 years and then start falling off after the coaching they got in college fades away and they need to get coached back up elsewhere.

Maybe the Saints should look at the DB/DC from Ohio State when those guys were studs to come in and run our defense... though our defense is running pretty well right now, though that might be in spite of Dennis Allen.

3 minutes ago, Raves said:

Maybe the Saints should look at the DB/DC from Ohio State when those guys were studs to come in and run our defense... though our defense is running pretty well right now, though that might be in spite of Dennis Allen.

I literally said this 2 years ago, and the Titans ended up hiring their DB coach. He just went back to Ohio State this season. Just look up Kerry Coombs. Literally every OSU CB he coached has gone to the NFL. He's who we need, but he clearly likes college over the NFL.

As you know, I'm not a fan of our DB coach. I'm sure he's a great guy, but ALL of our secondary hits regression when it should be the other way around. We get marquee guys and they flounder here. Then they go elsewhere and flourish. I'm not sure why Payton/Allen can't understand this.

41 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

So are we considering Lattimore to be a CB1 now, because he's playing like a CB2 or 3. Gardner-Johnson is playing like a solid #2, and Jenkins is playing at a decent #2 or even #1 level. Even P-Rob has been playing as good as Lattimore.

Lattimore was burnt all day Sunday. Literally on everything. He caused disruption, but he was rarely, if ever, the cause of a pass breakup. 2 steps behind everyone.

While I don’t think you’re wrong at all, I do think the Saints and Lattimore/his agent consider him that. Even with Jenkins performing as well as he did this season, lattimore has got the tough assignment and gets put on an island. 

im with you 100% that Lattimore isn’t the guy he was in his first 2 seasons, but replacing him is going to be much tougher than I think most of us anticipate. His snap to snap volatility is frustrating however i still don’t think he’s easily replaceable.

• Like 1