The Good, the Bad the WHAT JUST HAPPENED vs. the Jets

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I saw a couple times he went in motion and nobody went with him.  One was a pass play that if Carr gets it to him in time and in stride he might score and the other they gave the ball to to the RB.  All Ruggs needed to do was get to the edge and it would have been a big gain.  With as many points as we score we are still leaving a lot on the field.  I will take the win but no way it should have been this close.  Needing a Hail Mary against a 0-11 team with a -173 point differential and we created 3 TOs is ridiculous.  We better get Jacobs and Abram back next week because any other team in the league beats us this week.  Thankfully there are no more 10 am games or EST games.  I am still mad about the Falcons game.  At least we still control our destiny.

I agree with this. As sloppy as it is, we still have a great chance to make the postseason and do some damage.

I really think establishing the run game truly will be big.

Our run game has been so inconsistent. Look at the Browns and Titans. People are scared of their run game. They gash teams play after play. Their OL creates big holes. Brown can help us do that. It will actually open up the pass game for real.

9 hours ago, drew39k said:

He did so by torching our LT, a player who had looked great this season. I think i saw him badly beat Becton 4 times. Pretty great showing for Ferrell.

Ferrell has played good all season long. He's pressuring QBs so it was only a matter of time until those pressures turned into sacks.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, raidr4life said:

It's called realism, all that making a deep run is a fantasy, sure i'll take the win, but the last 2 weeks against 2 of the worst teams in the NFL doesn't bode well when we have two real playoff teams left on our schedule.

If you're going to use that logic, then what about our two great wins against the Saints and the Chiefs? We've played horribly against two poor teams but really well against two great teams so realism suggests we can beat any team but also lose to any team which makes us a dangerous underdog in the playoffs........

• Like 4

Well it’s a week to week league and the past two weeks they have looked like dog crap. Sure they can turn it around cause we seen this team play at its highest level, but at this point at least for me it’s show me and give me a reason to think you’re a playoff team. They can do that against the Colts. Cause next week that’s a win or go home game for the Raiders. You lose that game can kiss any playoff hopes goodbye.

Also giving up 200 yards rushing to the Jets.... woof 

Get Trent Brown back next week and this team if it wants a chance needs to do a better job run blocking. Oaktown above made a great point. It’s been so inconsistent all year. Have games like the Browns, Chargers, Broncos and then can’t create any holes the following weeks. 

Getting back Brown will help the run game but the guys in the middle need to create a bigger push cause that’s where majority of the runs are called. When the run game is working and that’s when the play action is working and that’s when the offense is at its best. 

• Like 1

I had to watch this game again before putting my thoughts down, it was too crazy last night.......

The Good

We snatched victory from the jaws of defeat, if we'd lost I fear the season would have derailed. A win us a win and we can move on......

Waller and Renfrow were both superb, some of Hunter's pressure catches were sublime and they simply couldn't guard Waller.

Regardless of what the Jets did on that last play, Ruggs ran a great route and Carr manoeuvred in the pocket well past the blitz and hit him with a perfect throw. I don't believe the Jets were deliberately trying to give us the game but even if they were we still hit a beautiful play.

Ferrell came alive and got the reward of 2 strip sacks. Only DL who played well throughout Hopefully he can take the next step now!

Carr, he had a few bad series but ultimately he threw for 380, 3 TDs and ran for another and was the main reason we won. 

Ruggs, he was having a poor game up until that last play but when it really counted he ran a beautiful route and caught the game winning TD

Mullen had another good game, turning into a high quality player.

The Bad

DLine, the Jets OL just pushed them around. Very little pressure on the QB and gashed by backup RBs and the Jets crappy OL. Embarrassing.

Ruggs, directly responsible for two turnovers which kept the Jets hanging around in there. Good and bad.

Carr, had a few really bad series where he just seemed to be forcing things to Agholor in particular and missed a couple potential TDs. He did make good in the end though. Good and bad.

Tackling on D was erratic again, as was pursuit angles. 

Too many soft zones, especially when we blitz.......the two just dont work together and it's not the strength of our players.

OL play was pretty poor. Now the Jets do have a decent run defence so not surprising we struggled a bit running the ball but Carr was under too much pressure too against a poor pass rush. We got beaten on both sides of the LoS.

The Ugly

Coaching calls, from forcing deep pass plays to getting conservative to horrendous defensive scheming and to the final kick-off which gave the Jets a final chance at a hail Mary!?!?!? Why didn't we just kick it high and deep or squib it to their 20??? Absurd decisions all around. If anything, we looked like the team that was tanking 😁😁

Allowing the Jets offense to march easily down the field 96 yards for the go ahead score in the 4th. The D was just getting pummeled like a punch bag. Sad.

Edited by Darbsk
Edited to add OL to The Bad
  • Like 3

Gruden's propensity to get conservative with a lead is the most frustrating thing in his return. It happens every time this team has a lead. He goes into his "4 min offense" early. Run, Run pass... punt. 

Which is even more frustrating when he knows full well, his defense can't stop teams consistently. Why give opponents the chance?

After scoring on their opening drive of the half, he had TWO chances to put the game away yesterday with good field position and did nothing. Up 24-13:

Own 47 - 3 plays, 5 yards, punt

Own 40 - 3 plays, 5 yards,  punt

Next possession, Jets drive 96 yards and take the lead

When the defense does their job, they have to take advantage.

48 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Waller and Renfrow were both superb, some of Hunter's pressure catches were sublime and they simply couldn't guard Waller.

Renfrow has been one of the most efficient WR in the league this season. He's 20th in catch rate at 75%. Out of those 20 WRs, he's 3rd in yards/tgt behind only Corey Davis and Julio Jones.

Raiders are really in a no win situation when the defense plays well for a couple drives and the team has the lead.  It takes away all the juice out of the offense. Cause they go into conservative mode and they find themselves down and having to kick it into high gear again. 

The team doesn’t have the killer instinct. In the KC game had two chances if I remember correctly in the 4th qtr to stretch that 3 point lead and they had and couldn’t get it done. And yesterday the same thing. You need to be able to put teams away when given the chance. 

11 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Gruden's propensity to get conservative with a lead is the most frustrating thing in his return. It happens every time this team has a lead. He goes into his "4 min offense" early. Run, Run pass... punt. 

Which is even more frustrating when he knows full well, his defense can't stop teams consistently. Why give opponents the chance?

Wholeheartedly agree!

Its really strange, we seem to be bi-polar on offense, get a lead and we flip a switch and play ultra conservative even with tons of time left and run a pile of predictable, stodgy run plays but then we get to 3rd and short and throw 50 yard bombs off playaction what seems like every time. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground of grinding sometimes and now and then playaction deep ball mixed with routes just past the chains..........curious 🤔

2 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

It was the same thing in Gruden's first stint. He's conservative when playing with a lead.

It's obviously not exclusive to him as lots if coaches do too, but it seems like if plan A is working well, keep doing it until their D proves they can stop us. As @big_palooka said above, its not as if we want to leave the game in the defence's hands, surely the coaches cant be so blinded to see they cant be trusted?

13 hours ago, raidr4life said:

It's called realism, all that making a deep run is a fantasy, sure i'll take the win, but the last 2 weeks against 2 of the worst teams in the NFL doesn't bode well when we have two real playoff teams left on our schedule.

Well the 10-6 Giants beating the unbeaten Patriots happened.  Call it fantasy, call it whatever you want.  Be as pessimistic as you see fit, I'd rather chance fate and see the stars align and the impossible happen.  I want to see our defense fall into place in week 17.  Everyone all of a sudden getting healthy (Abram, Ferrell, Jacobs, Trent Brown) and we walk into the playoffs guns blazing.  I don't care if its fantasy, if it happens I'll be elated.  If we get a chance to walk into the playoffs as the number 7 seed only to knock off the Chiefs in the first round, this will be considered a successful season in my book.  I don't care about the details, I don't care if we win ugly against ugly teams.  I want wins, I want playoffs, I want a championship.  I want us to be the Muhammad Ali to the Chief's George Foreman.  If anyone can do it, we can.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I mean like I said before, I’ll take the W, and happily still try to get into the playoffs. You wanna give me a free win, I’ll take it. 

My only issue was some people acting like it was a legit win, and we somehow pulled off a clutch performance lol. 

I still don't really know how to feel about it.  Other fans were saying the Jets could've given us the win when we marched up the field the first time, so why didn't they?  They could've fallen flat on their faces when we are in the red zone and they held tough.  So why give it all up the very next drive with seconds left?  Doesn't really make sense to me.  Either way, I'm not dwelling on it.  Onto the next game!