Week 14: Arizona Cardinals @ New York Giants

Acgott

On 12/14/2020 at 10:27 AM, Gmen said:

The Giants offense has been a ****show most of the year, but yesterday was just brutal.  Missed blocks, free rushers, no separation, Jones holding onto the ball too long.  Jones was at the line of scrimmage calling audibles and trying to figure things out pre-snap to no avail.  And the most disappointing thing was seeing him fumbling three more times.  And yea, I get it that he was playing on a bad leg, but the fumbles have been a long recurring theme.  I feel like if the fumbling issue hasn't been fixed by now, it's never going to be fixed.  It's a fatal flaw.

The winner of the division is going to be picking at 19, the rest of the teams will be in the top 10.  Dallas and probably Philadelphia won't be in the QB market.  Washington will be, and the Giants SHOULD be.  What I'm getting at is, part of me wants the Giants to lose the division to Washington so they can be the ones in position to draft a QB.  Trey Lance? Zach Wilson? 

This is a little unfair considering he just had 3 games in a row without a turnover before his injury. Hiccups in the road are to be expected, but as long as he shows a general trend of progression, then he deserves to be the QBOTF. 

7 hours ago, w4rrior723 said:

This is a little unfair considering he just had 3 games in a row without a turnover before his injury. Hiccups in the road are to be expected, but as long as he shows a general trend of progression, then he deserves to be the QBOTF. 

But has he really shown improvement?  We have three weeks to go in the season and he has 9 total touchdowns and 14 turnovers (plus another 5 fumbles that were recovered). 

Last year there was something to get excited about with Jones because despite all the fumbles he had 4 games with 4 touchdowns, which was the record for a rookie.  He was slinging the ball and this offense was moving.  This year seems like a step backward.  8 passing TDs in 12 games is kind of pathetic in today's passing league.  He's near the bottom of the league in traditional QB measures, and analytic measures.  I wouldn't consider this year progress. 

Part of it was that Pat Shurmur just ran a better offense.  Jones is being held back by Garrett.  But, has he shown enough promise to deserve a chance with a 3rd offensive coordinator?  I don't know tbh.  The physical tools are there, but he has bad pocket awareness and still doesn't see the field very well.   That's something I had hoped would get fixed with experience, but that hasn't been the case.  I wouldn't go into next season without serious competition from the backup.  So if Trey Lance is sitting there when we pick, I'd give him serious consideration.

I'd need to see an awful lot from Jones in the next 3 weeks to change my mind.