Quarter Analysis 3: Vikings 2020

SteelKing728

I think the 3rd Quarter was good, but should've been perfect.  They absolutely let their guard down against Dallas.  That said, being 6-6 and having some guys come back health-wise should hopefully give them depth and spark getting into the dog fights that await 4th quarter.  

I'd give the offense an A- for the quarter . . . they did afterall give up 21 points.  The special teams have been a D+, and God willing, they'll be a B or better the next 4 games.   

The defense was sporadic . . . ranging from an F to a B . . . if that's possible.  I so wish Hunter and Wonnum were teamed at the book ends and Pierce was routinely plugging the middle.  That said, the coaches have really adjust the scheme to personnel.  We're getting 3 or 4 splash plays a game, but the most important stats to me defensively are 3rd down percent allowed and red zone TD percentage . . . guess what?  These guys are getting really good at Red Zone defense and much better on 3rd down.  I dare say, they were near 50% of allowing 1st downs at the beginning of the year.  So, I think they've really been closer to 25% since the break.  Getting take aways is another thing they've got to keep doing.  If this team is +2 each of the next four games, I like their chances.  If they stay even on the TO's, they'll sputter to 7-9 or 8-8.  

13 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

That's a little surprising for Wonnum 9/10 rookie edges.

Well, to be fair, the Vikings don't really employ "edge" players, in the traditional sense. He's a Defensive End, but gets lumped into the same group as Khalil Mack. 

Anyway you look at it though, this draft class looks like a home run. 

I'd also be willing to bet that at least one more of our picks from this year turns out to be a very solid player. If 2 or 3 of James Lynch, Kenny Willekes, Troy Dye, or Josh Metellus pan out, this could go down as our best class in recent memory. Although Dye needs to change numbers and gear so he doesn't look like he's playing Pop Warner...

Edited by wcblack34

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

Well, to be fair, the Vikings don't really employ "edge" players, in the traditional sense. He's a Defensive End, but gets lumped into the same group as Khalil Mack. 

Anyway you look at it though, this draft class looks like a home run. 

I'd also be willing to bet that at least one more of our picks from this year turns out to be a very solid player. If 2 or 3 of James Lynch, Kenny Willekes, Troy Dye, or Josh Metellus pan out, this could go down as our best class in recent memory. Although Dye needs to change numbers and gear so he doesn't look like he's playing Pop Warner...

Yes, I know what an EDGE is, the only other rookie "EDGE" I'm aware of that is playing at or above expectations is Chase Young.