Jets fire DC Gregg Williams

Bianconero

He was getting fired anyway in a few weeks. So no big news here.

That call yesterday to finish the game was God awful though. Given that we didn't want the win as fans.... it was a blessing for us. But still an idiotic play call to send the house to finish the game when they need a long TD to win. Doesn't get dumber than that as a coordinator.

So we’ve always giving our HC the full season even if they’re a sitting duck. Not sure if the same courtesy has been giving to the rest of the staff.

But I don’t get this at all. Don’t scape goat Gregg. This is as much Gase’s fault as anyone. Fire none or fire all. Gase should be out the door as well.

One awful play call. We can point to dozens of bad play calls by Gase. How many 3rd and 10 screen passes do we have to see? How many 2 yard runs over the RG do we have to see? Frank Gore??? Getting carries while we have capable young backs behind him. Sigh.

The unthinkable might just happen in a few weeks. Gase is coming back to destroy another young QB.

Edited by SDotNova

1 hour ago, SDotNova said:

So we’ve always giving our HC the full season even if they’re a sitting duck. Not sure if the same courtesy has been giving to the rest of the staff.

But I don’t get this at all. Don’t scape goat Gregg. This is as much Gase’s fault as anyone. Fire none or fire all. Gase should be out the door as well.

One awful play call. We can point to dozens of bad play calls by Gase. How many 3rd and 10 screen passes do we have to see? How many 2 yard runs over the RG do we have to see? Frank Gore??? Getting carries while we have capable young backs behind him. Sigh.

The unthinkable might just happen in a few weeks. Gase is coming back to destroy another young QB.

It was truly brutal watching Ty Johnson and Josh Adams run the football with authority while we let EIGHTY YEAR OLD FRANK GORE HAVE ALL OF THE SNAPS if deemed healthy.

I get it, Ty and Josh cant pass protect....but the offense runs a lot better through those two than not.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

He was getting fired anyway in a few weeks. So no big news here.

That call yesterday to finish the game was God awful though. Given that we didn't want the win as fans.... it was a blessing for us. But still an idiotic play call to send the house to finish the game when they need a long TD to win. Doesn't get dumber than that as a coordinator.

There is not one person on this board if they were D coach for the Jets would have call the same play as Willliams, did. We all would have players back deep so there was no change of that being such a easy TD. Even in high school we played it safe.

19 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

There is not one person on this board if they were D coach for the Jets would have call the same play as Willliams, did. We all would have players back deep so there was no change of that being such a easy TD. Even in high school we played it safe.

Maybe Gregg hates Adam so much that he made that call to spite him and give it an 0-16 season

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

I’m not against bringing pressure in that situation. Why allow the Raiders to let guys get into the End Zone and then have a shot? Force them to get the ball out fast and games over. Look at how the Bills lost to the Cardinals.

The Raiders max protected and picked up the heat, Carr did a good job climbing the pocket and it is what it is. 

The idea was good but the call was poor. 

If people would really watch the play instead of the play call you can see Williams had the right play in BUT Lamar Jackson stopped his feet when Ruggs slowed down to fake the cut. Once Ruggs got to Jackson side Jackson was still almost back facing the end zone. Ruggs just turned on the speed and Carr threw a very nice high ball for him to run under. This is way more Jackson fault than Williams. I'm not a fan of Williams but I just wish the media would call out Jackson more than the play call. The blame is 90% Jackson not Williams. 

25 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

If people would really watch the play instead of the play call you can see Williams had the right play in BUT Lamar Jackson stopped his feet when Ruggs slowed down to fake the cut. Once Ruggs got to Jackson side Jackson was still almost back facing the end zone. Ruggs just turned on the speed and Carr threw a very nice high ball for him to run under. This is way more Jackson fault than Williams. I'm not a fan of Williams but I just wish the media would call out Jackson more than the play call. The blame is 90% Jackson not Williams. 

It 100% wasn't the right call. Bc of the blitz Jackson an UDFA was on a island against a guy that is a 1st rounder that's arguably the fastest guy in the league. He shouldn't have even been in that situation to where a double move could possibly end the game. There should never be a guy on an island in a time like that. The blame is IMO the total opposite of what you think. Its 90% Gregg 10 % Jackson.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I’m not against bringing pressure in that situation. Why allow the Raiders to let guys get into the End Zone and then have a shot? Force them to get the ball out fast and games over. Look at how the Bills lost to the Cardinals.

The Raiders max protected and picked up the heat, Carr did a good job climbing the pocket and it is what it is. 

The idea was good but the call was poor. 

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

Nope  BIG NOPE.

13 seconds left with no timeout left.  Bringing to house blitz will always be a bad call for that situation.  Period.

Edited by JetsandI

I also like the idea of bringing some heat in that situation. Just not cover zero. You need to have two safeties back there. So 5 or 6 DBs and let the rest rush. This dude sent the house and all three DBs got burned. Haha. You can’t make it up. 

Edited by SDotNova