Jets fire DC Gregg Williams

Bianconero

The issue I have about our Organization is the hierarchy.

It's not the way it should be.

There's the owners (Johnsons). The only person that should be reporting to them is the GM (JD).

Then there's the GM (JD). He should have all power for everything from his position down. From coaching to personel.

The HC. Should just coach. If they don't like the OC or DC. That's not for them to decide. That's for JD to decide. Coach the players the GM has given you. Doesn't mean they cant voice what they want and like with the GM. It means they don't have firing power and such.

Ours isn't ran this way. Gase reports to the Johnsons like he's the GM. He had firing power (he had final say so on firing Gregg).

All this is out of whack. Hopefully when we fire Gase and bring in a new coach. Its a coach that's job is to just coach and that JD has hiring and firing power over. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

The issue I have about our Organization is the hierarchy.

It's not the way it should be.

There's the owners (Johnsons). The only person that should be reporting to them is the GM (JD).

Then there's the GM (JD). He should have all power for everything from his position down. From coaching to personel.

The HC. Should just coach. If they don't like the OC or DC. That's not for them to decide. That's for JD to decide. Coach the players the GM has given you. Doesn't mean they cant voice what they want and like with the GM. It means they don't have firing power and such.

Ours isn't ran this way. Gase reports to the Johnsons like he's the GM. He had firing power (he had final say so on firing Gregg).

All this is out of whack. Hopefully when we fire Gase and bring in a new coach. Its a coach that's job is to just coach and that JD has hiring and firing power over. 

That is not what HC prefers.  Rhule walked from Jets because our stinking GM asked him to hire Monken as OC.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

That was a different GM

True, but there isn't a HC candidate that's highly sought after that would ever take a job where the GM said you report to me, I can hire you and fire you, I'm hiring your OC and DC and only I can fire them. Every HC candidate would stand up and walk out of the room.

The structure should owner-GM-HC-assistant coaches. The owner orversees the whole operation. The GM has final say on the roster and draft, hiring and firing power of his front office and the HC but not coaches assistants that is left up the HC. 

Football is the only major professional sport in NA where the GM does not have final say on personnel matters. In baseball, basketball and hockey the GM gets the players and picks the head coach. In football, it's different. I think this is partly because most GMs fly well under the spotlight in football, compared to the high visibility of a head coach. Heck, most head football coaches get paid significantly more than the GMs. In those other sports, it is usually the other way around.

I could see an argument for both options. I think it depends on the individuals in question. If we were to hire a high profile coach, a big name, then that guy should probably have the right to hire his own personnel guy as GM. And whether he should or not is usually a moot point, because he gets that power anyway. Otherwise, I think the structure should be GM gets to hire the head coach. In our case, if we keep Douglas then he should be the guy hiring the head coach, not the owners. The owners don't know football, the GM does. Let the GM do his job.

Having said that, my problem with how we are running things is we gave Adam Gase (a complete nobody with no resume of note whatsoever) the power. Heck, as we just found out, he still has power in this organization. If the Johnsons won't fire him now, then maybe they won't fire him when we all want him to get fired? 

Sorry, but I will not be comfortable until Gase is shown the door. As far as I'm concerned, there are other ways to go about tanking than keeping this buffoon around. 

People talk about wanting to see our younger guys progressing going into next year...how about seeing them without Gase?

• Like 2

The HC should pick his coaching staff and they report to him. That is the way most teams do it. If a member of the coaching staff needs to go, it should be the HC doing it. See Joe Judge. Of course input by the front office will be had.

Many teams have the HC report to the owner not GM I believe. It is not new. Usually those coaches are well established winners. But younger or less established coaches should report to GM.

If the coach and GM are on the same page it works well. The GM gets the players with input from the HC and scouts and the coach runs field operations. 

4 hours ago, JetsandI said:

That is not what HC prefers.  Rhule walked from Jets because our stinking GM asked him to hire Monken as OC.

And the OC Rhule hired in Carolina(Brady) is not the OC he was going to bring to us so at the end of the day maybe Macc had a point with the staff Rhule was building. 

On 12/9/2020 at 12:59 PM, KingOfNewYork said:

And the OC Rhule hired in Carolina(Brady) is not the OC he was going to bring to us so at the end of the day maybe Macc had a point with the staff Rhule was building. 

Yeah.  Heck, Gase could continue coaching next season since he has yet to headbutt with JD. lol.

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

Yeah.  Heck, Gase could continue coaching next season since he has yet to headbutt with JD. lol.

Speculation. Who knows what happens behind closed doors. Even if they were buds, JD has to realize gase ain’t it and would be foolish to put his friendship ( if there is one) above his career. Chrissy I am not so sure about he is dumb. 

On 12/9/2020 at 12:57 PM, KingOfNewYork said:

Not really. You cannot control how people perceive you or not. People have their minds made up at this point about them and nothing will change that. 

I am all for giving people chances, and not judging them based off of what other people say, but pray tell what exactly has our ownership group done to deserve the benefit of the doubt...on anything?

6 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I am all for giving people chances, and not judging them based off of what other people say, but pray tell what exactly has our ownership group done to deserve the benefit of the doubt...on anything?

Not my point. I’ve seen bad ownership(Dolan w/ Knicks, Wilpons w/ Mets) the Johnsons are not that. Are they the best owners? No but they’re far from horrible. They’ve made bad decisions that have set us back as a team but it’s easier said than done to win long term in this league.