Jump to content

Official 2021 WR Thread


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I thought it was time somebody made the thread. I have to hand it to Devonta Smith. He's actually putting up quite a fight for the #1 WR spot with Chase.

He is the #1 WR for me personally. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

He is the #1 WR for me personally. 

I can understand that. I think the two things that works against him are his thin frame and age. But it's hard to argue with a guy who has his speed, route running ability, toughness, and absolutely stellar hands. He reminds me of the dominant WRs of the late 90's to mid 2000's (Marvin Harrison, Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, etc.). But Chase was just as dominant in 2019 as Smith has been in 2020, is 1.5 to 2 years younger, and has a physical skillset that is arguably more dominating.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Current top 5 for me : 
1) Devonta Smith (top 5)
2) JaMarr Chase (top 10)
3) Rondale Moore (top 20)
4) Jaylen Waddle (top 20)
5) Tylan Wallace (end of 1st round)

This is an absolutely stacked class. 
Good times to be a WR fan in the NFL  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a big fan of Ihmir Smith-Marsette. Honestly think his only weakness is not being an overly developed Route Runner. Might be raw, but he def shows smooth athleticism when he makes cuts so if he's got the want he could be a guy we're looking back in three-four years thinking. How'd he go in the third round. 

 

Another note, I really want the Giants to walk away with Terrace Marshall. It would be nice to have someone taller than 6'0 and change. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Jaylen Waddle is an unbelievable player. I feel like he can be the best in the class at his best, even though I wouldn't take him first. His explosive skillset for me means I think he'll be a better pro than Smith, even though technically Smith is for sure superior.

I have top 10 grades on Waddle, Moore, and a top 15 on Smith. I have a top 20 on Moore and a late 1/early 2 on Wallace.

All are excellent players.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Jaylen Waddle is an unbelievable player. I feel like he can be the best in the class at his best, even though I wouldn't take him first. His explosive skillset for me means I think he'll be a better pro than Smith, even though technically Smith is for sure superior.

I have top 10 grades on Waddle, Moore, and a top 15 on Smith. I have a top 20 on Moore and a late 1/early 2 on Wallace.

All are excellent players.

To me no question about it, Devonta Smith is the best WR in the 2021 draft.

The kid has arguably the best hands, is the best route runner, is the toughest, hardest worker and arguably the most competitive.  Dude is absolutely legit and with his professionalism already makes him absolutely elite.  There is no question of will he play hard, will he compete, will he continue to get better or will he be a leader on and off the field, the answer it all is yes.  Dude is legit, and sure will probably not run a great 40 but he can still get separation and is in wonderful condition.  Has huge hands as well and does not have much of a injury history at all.  Could be a modern day Jerry Rice with his professionalism, route running and hands, not to mention his frame which is very similar being so wiry strong.  

Waddle I love as well with his big play potential and return ability.  I had him above Smith before the season but hard to knock Smith with how amazing his has played, even punt returns for Bama something he generally never did.  Waddle does have a little bit of an injury history so that is a concern as well, Chase will have to really show out at the combine or Pro day because he possibly lost some ground based on how well Waddle played to start the year and how dominating Smith has been all season long.  Moore has looked good but still is not in shape yet.  

 

 

Elijah Moore is arguably the most improved receiver in the nation, kid could be a 1st round pick and is a jet out there, amazing slot WR potential and is hell to deal with.  Toney has played great this year as well and has really improve his stock big time.  Olave is legit as well but the WR group is so deep not sure he would be a 1st rounder if he declared but will see.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

To me no question about it, Devonta Smith is the best WR in the 2021 draft.

The kid has arguably the best hands, is the best route runner, is the toughest, hardest worker and arguably the most competitive.  Dude is absolutely legit and with his professionalism already makes him absolutely elite.  There is no question of will he play hard, will he compete, will he continue to get better or will he be a leader on and off the field, the answer it all is yes.  Dude is legit, and sure will probably not run a great 40 but he can still get separation and is in wonderful condition.  Has huge hands as well and does not have much of a injury history at all.  Could be a modern day Jerry Rice with his professionalism, route running and hands, not to mention his frame which is very similar being so wiry strong.  

Waddle I love as well with his big play potential and return ability.  I had him above Smith before the season but hard to knock Smith with how amazing his has played, even punt returns for Bama something he generally never did.  Waddle does have a little bit of an injury history so that is a concern as well, Chase will have to really show out at the combine or Pro day because he possibly lost some ground based on how well Waddle played to start the year and how dominating Smith has been all season long.  Moore has looked good but still is not in shape yet.  

 

 

Elijah Moore is arguably the most improved receiver in the nation, kid could be a 1st round pick and is a jet out there, amazing slot WR potential and is hell to deal with.  Toney has played great this year as well and has really improve his stock big time.  Olave is legit as well but the WR group is so deep not sure he would be a 1st rounder if he declared but will see.  

 

My thing with Smith is that different traits translate in the pro game vs in college.

Take DK Metcalf and Smith. Smith was a way better college player, but DK had rare size and speed to go along with his WR skills.

As much as I like Devonta Smith, I see him as Emmanuel Sanders in the league. Which is really good don't get me wrong. I think Waddle has an even higher ceiling though because he is just so explosive and I've seen him beat bracket coverage. Forget the return game. His YAC ability and burst make him a nightmare, in that Tyreek Hill vein. He is a player you can actually compare to Tyreek Hill in terms of speed and explosion. In the last several years, the only other guy with that kind of speed I feel is Ruggs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

My thing with Smith is that different traits translate in the pro game vs in college.

Take DK Metcalf and Smith. Smith was a way better college player, but DK had rare size and speed to go along with his WR skills.

As much as I like Devonta Smith, I see him as Emmanuel Sanders in the league. Which is really good don't get me wrong. I think Waddle has an even higher ceiling though because he is just so explosive and I've seen him beat bracket coverage. Forget the return game. His YAC ability and burst make him a nightmare, in that Tyreek Hill vein. He is a player you can actually compare to Tyreek Hill in terms of speed and explosion. In the last several years, the only other guy with that kind of speed I feel is Ruggs.

Maybe but not ever receiver is some physical marvel.  Jerry Rice was not.   Or take Justin Jefferson, he is not and is playing amazing football because he knows how to read the ball in the air, runs great routes and has great hands.  He did not run some 4.3 40.  Metcalf benefits greatly of playing with a top 3 QB in the NFL, and his route running is not all that important with what they ask him to do.

 

 

Jefferson, Davante Adams, DeAndre Hopkins, Terry McLaurin, Keenan Allen, Calvin Ridley, Allen Robinson, Cooper Kupp, Tyler Lockett, Cole Beasley, Tyler Boyd etc all are top 20 in receiving yards in the NFL and none of them are out of this world athletes with super rare athletic ability.   You run good routes and have great hands you will have a great chance at success in the NFL.  

Key would be Ruggs, good example great athlete but has an injury history in college and has been hurt as a pro, and has not done great outside of what this past week catching that one big pass at the end of the game, maybe a few others.  But Jefferson a lesser athlete than Ruggs has greatly out performed him in basically every way, and he dropped even below Reagor because Reagor was considered the better athlete but is clearly not the better receiver and probably never will be over Justin Jefferson.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, samsel23 said:

Am I wrong for wanting to reach on Tamorrion Terry for the Chiefs?   

 

I am very high on Terry. I want the Rams to grab him if he falls outside the 2nd round. 

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Jaylen Waddle is an unbelievable player. I feel like he can be the best in the class at his best, even though I wouldn't take him first. His explosive skillset for me means I think he'll be a better pro than Smith, even though technically Smith is for sure superior.

I have top 10 grades on Waddle, Moore, and a top 15 on Smith. I have a top 20 on Moore and a late 1/early 2 on Wallace.

All are excellent players.

Not a Chase fan?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Maybe but not ever receiver is some physical marvel.  Jerry Rice was not.   Or take Justin Jefferson, he is not and is playing amazing football because he knows how to read the ball in the air, runs great routes and has great hands.  He did not run some 4.3 40.  Metcalf benefits greatly of playing with a top 3 QB in the NFL, and his route running is not all that important with what they ask him to do.

 

 

Jefferson, Davante Adams, DeAndre Hopkins, Terry McLaurin, Keenan Allen, Calvin Ridley, Allen Robinson, Cooper Kupp, Tyler Lockett, Cole Beasley, Tyler Boyd etc all are top 20 in receiving yards in the NFL and none of them are out of this world athletes with super rare athletic ability.   You run good routes and have great hands you will have a great chance at success in the NFL.  

Key would be Ruggs, good example great athlete but has an injury history in college and has been hurt as a pro, and has not done great outside of what this past week catching that one big pass at the end of the game, maybe a few others.  But Jefferson a lesser athlete than Ruggs has greatly out performed him in basically every way, and he dropped even below Reagor because Reagor was considered the better athlete but is clearly not the better receiver and probably never will be over Justin Jefferson.

 

I love route runners. Let's not bring up Jerry Rice though. He's one of a kind.

 I like all the WR's you mentioned. Waddle can run great routes AND he has elite game breaking speed and YAC ability.

Ruggs was not nearly as polished coming out compared to Waddle. Ruggs was a slight reach at 12. Waddle is a top 10 borderline top 5 player in this class. I don't think Ruggs and Waddle are comparable as prospects.

Ruggs had a bad game last week, but has been banged up and has still made a massive contribution to the Raiders offense. He has opened up everything for everyone around him and also is nearly leading the league in explosive plays on 3-4 targets a week. You can judge him on numbers, but he has nearly single-handedly changed the offense. Look at the points scored in games with him vs games without him.

Jefferson is a great player, but I think it's way too early to count out Ruggs considering he's far from a finished product and even in his current state can change the game on one play. He doesn't have to ever produce like Jefferson to have incredible value to this team. Just like Hill never has to touch the ball to impact a game.

Waddle has the "change the game in one play" speed that Ruggs, Hill, and maybe a handful of others have, but he has the route running and release game to also contribute short/intermediate catches from day 1 in the NFL.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...