Official 2021 WR Thread

jrry32

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The 40 yard dash has always been funny to me as a way to gauge a prospect. Like how often are guys running 40 yards full sprint during an actual game?

It's a data point to gauge overall athleticism. Plus it's something teams have been measuring for several years now so it's helpful for comparisons. Also, it's something to tangibly see top-end speed--which matters in the NFL.

I don't mind the 40 like others do. I think it's fun to see and it does affect the "safety" and upside of certain prospects.

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The 40 yard dash has always been funny to me as a way to gauge a prospect. Like how often are guys running 40 yards full sprint during an actual game?

It’s not really about running 40 yards. It’s about the get off from a dead stop and top speed - both relevant things to want to know. Like anything else it’s not supposed to drastically change your opinion, or even translate 100% to the field. But it’s noteworthy, as far as track/field stuff goes.

28 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

It’s not really about running 40 yards. It’s about the get off from a dead stop and top speed - both relevant things to want to know. Like anything else it’s not supposed to drastically change your opinion, or even translate 100% to the field. But it’s noteworthy, as far as track/field stuff goes.

My speculation is teams look at the 10 yd and 20 yd splits in addition to the full 40 time.  Something about minimum thresholds for various positions.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2021 at 6:45 AM, MSURacerDT55 said:

Teams will probably play him off of the line, but life is going to be rough for him if he doesn't add significant bulk. He has the body type of a Todd Pinkston, being that small limits what teams can do with you 

It's all good...I was told today that Smith is comparable in size to Jerry Rice.