Official 2021 WR Thread

jrry32

20 minutes ago, Danger said:

Watching each of them play. Bateman jumps out the most. Every draft class everyone has a few players who you can just tell is going to be successful at the next level with good confidence. Bateman is one of those couple guys for me in this draft class. Now, will he be a good #2, or perhaps a #1? That much I can't definitely say.

I have a low bar for these WRs to clear in order for them to be a 'hit'.  

Bunch of short guys, and the #2/#3 guys are 170 lbs/5'9"?  I'm not expecting #1 WRs, where guys eat up targets.  If they are good football players, that's a hit.  My exceptions for them don't change if they are over-drafted.

History says Waddle and Smith should not be top 10 picks.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the OTs, CB, and EDGE guys overtake them in the newer mocks.  

2 minutes ago, massraider said:

I have a low bar for these WRs to clear in order for them to be a 'hit'.  

Bunch of short guys, and the #2/#3 guys are 170 lbs/5'9"?  I'm not expecting #1 WRs, where guys eat up targets.  If they are good football players, that's a hit.  My exceptions for them don't change if they are over-drafted.

History says Waddle and Smith should not be top 10 picks.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the OTs, CB, and EDGE guys overtake them in the newer mocks.  

Neither should Chase then based on his size as well.

9 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Neither should Chase then based on his size as well.

I won't argue with that, but I think in THIS draft class, I don't think it's outrageous.  Calvin Johnson is top 10 any year.  In a year with not top 5 CB, DT, or LB, DE?   Maybe Chase is.  

But Chase has no measurement/age/speed red flags.  

If someone tells me they think none of those other WRs should be 1st round picks, I wouldn't argue with it.  

Edited by massraider
  • Like 1

Re: Chase height, it's more than mitigated by his ability to separate, and his catch radius.      I have no concerns given those show up on tape, not just when measured.

For the short stature/size guys, the Q is whether they have traits that overcome their size issues.   Smith's ability to separate, and highpoint ability, are well above guys his size.   The bulk issue is probably the biggest Q in my mind, enough to put him 3rd behind Chase & Waddle, TBH. 

For Waddle, IMO he's the closest thing to Tyreek Hill since Hill.   That level of functional speed is just so special.  And unlike John Ross or Corey Coleman or Tavon Austin, he's not a pure speed guy in a wide open O / tailored O to get the ball in space - he absolutely torched elite, top level competition in both big SEC and playoff games.   I actually think he's the 3rd most likely WR to succeed behind Jeudy & Ridley, in terms of translating to the NFL (Smith 4th, Ruggs 5th - and to be clear, I was fading Ruggs hard in the Ruggs/Jeudy/Lamb convos last year, so it's not recency bias).

If there's an argument to be made on WR value in Rd1, that's fair game - you had better be getting the alpha-dog WR, top target, crunch-time player to make a top 15 pick worthwhile, and something close even in back half of Rd1 (but the alternatives are less certain, too).   

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Re: Chase height, it's more than mitigated by his ability to separate, and his catch radius.      I have no concerns given those show up on tape, not just when measured.

For the short stature/size guys, the Q is whether they have traits that overcome their size issues.   Smith's ability to separate, and highpoint ability, are well above guys his size.   The bulk issue is probably the biggest Q in my mind, enough to put him 3rd behind Chase & Waddle, TBH. 

For Waddle, IMO he's the closest thing to Tyreek Hill since Hill.   That level of functional speed is just so special.  And unlike John Ross or Corey Coleman or Tavon Austin, he's not a pure speed guy in a wide open O / tailored O to get the ball in space - he absolutely torched elite, top level competition in both big SEC and playoff games.   I actually think he's the 3rd most likely WR to succeed behind Jeudy & Ridley, in terms of translating to the NFL (Smith 4th, Ruggs 5th - and to be clear, I was fading Ruggs hard in the Ruggs/Jeudy/Lamb convos last year, so it's not recency bias).

If there's an argument to be made on WR value in Rd1, that's fair game - you had better be getting the alpha-dog WR, top target, crunch-time player to make a top 15 pick worthwhile, and something close even in back half of Rd1 (but the alternatives are less certain, too).   

Waddle has vertical speed for days, but Tyreek is able to turn his speed into power in the open field. That’s why I think Tyreek is much better. I love Waddle tho. He high points better than Tyreek and is a much better overall WR right now than Hill was coming out. Polished burners are rare.