Official 2021 WR Thread

jrry32

43 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

A comp a lot of people like to make is Desean Jackson, who was 2 inches shorter and 10 lbs heavier than Smith.  In his 13 year career, he has played in all 16 games exactly twice.

Marvin Harrison is a more durable comp, but he was listed around 185, nearly 20 lbs heavier, and even if that's 10 lbs off, that's still 9-10 lbs more than Smith, and that's moreso the exception than the rule.  Harrison managed to play all 16 games in 8 out of 13 years.

Hollywood Brown is listed at 180 pounds. He's almost certainly playing 20 pounds lighter. I bet Marvin Harrison played most his career around 170 pounds. Listed weights are rarely accurate on the high and low end of the NFL. I couldn't care less about Devonta's weight. Don't overthink it. I made that mistake with Russell Wilson's height.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Hollywood Brown is listed at 180 pounds. He's almost certainly playing 20 pounds lighter. I bet Marvin Harrison played most his career around 170 pounds. Listed weights are rarely accurate on the high and low end of the NFL. I couldn't care less about Devonta's weight. Don't overthink it. I made that mistake with Russell Wilson's height.

Height doesn't make a big difference when you get hit, and Smith is going to take some shots in the NFL that he wasn't close to experiencing in college.

2 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Height doesn't make a big difference when you get hit, and Smith is going to take some shots in the NFL that he wasn't close to experiencing in college.

He played in the SEC. He'll be fine. And durability isn't that simple.

• Like 1

Just now, DirtyDez said:

Early in Harrison’s career he was probably around 170:  What’s crazy is the brunt of his peak was before the WR contact rule changes in 04’.

Marvin_Harrison_in_2007_Training_Camp_2.

marvin-harrison-reggie-waynjpg.jpg

Isaac Bruce is another guy who almost certainly played around 170 pounds. 

On 4/23/2021 at 2:09 PM, DirtyDez said:

Early in Harrison’s career he was probably around 170:  What’s crazy is the brunt of his peak was before the WR contact rule changes in 04’.

Marvin_Harrison_in_2007_Training_Camp_2.

marvin-harrison-reggie-waynjpg.jpg

Yeah I think the size thing is way overblown with Smith. Here's another example of a guy with similar size from Chad Johnson himself

• Like 1

I'm really high on DeVonta Smith. I guess the knock on him is that he's not that big at only about 170 pounds, but the guy can straight up play. Seems like a team first type of player, can run every route, great hands and just a great feel for the game.

He reminds me of Adams from Green Bay.

Every mock I've seen has Waddle above Smith. There's no way I would take Waddle over Smith.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, showtime said:

I'm really high on DeVonta Smith. I guess the knock on him is that he's not that big at only about 170 pounds, but the guy can straight up play. Seems like a team first type of player, can run every route, great hands and just a great feel for the game.

Every mock I've seen has Waddle above Smith. There's no way I would take Waddle over Smith.

It seems silly to me to draft Waddle over Smith. Smith was the better player in college, and the knock on him, size, is also a knock on Waddle. Plus, Waddle has shown durability issues that Smith hasn't. I get that Waddle has rare speed and movement skills, but Smith is a better player. I think Devonta hasn't gotten enough credit since the season ended. I think he's in the same class with Chase and Pitts. IMO, Waddle isn't.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Likelihood of Bateman getting drafted before Tooney?? Highly ? Not so?

I'd take him over KT, and I'm a Gators fan. KT needs to have the right situation, or he could easily bust. Bateman is going to fit into about just any scheme and is a safe bet to be productive.

Just now, jrry32 said:

It seems silly to me to draft Waddle over Smith. Smith was the better player in college, and the knock on him, size, is also a knock on Waddle. Plus, Waddle has shown durability issues that Smith hasn't. I get that Waddle has rare speed and movement skills, but Smith is a better player. I think Devonta hasn't gotten enough credit since the season ended. I think he's in the same class with Chase and Pitts. IMO, Waddle isn't.

Yeah, it seems crazy to me. It seems like ever since the season ended and no games have been played, his value/stock has been going down. I think during the off-season most people start getting to much into workouts and overthinking stuff.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I'd take him over KT, and I'm a Gators fan. KT needs to have the right situation, or he could easily bust. Bateman is going to fit into about just any scheme and is a safe bet to be productive.

I haven’t seen him over Bateman anywhere but I haven’t been fully invested this year. Bateman -175 screamed good value to me 

32 minutes ago, showtime said:

166 lbs at the medical combine thing they did

Edited by THE DUKE